trailer design

/ trailer design #32  
If you are planning on building a trailer be a little careful with where you place the axle(s). A single axle isn't going to be too much of a problem but a duel axles can be. Being that your trailer is so short it'd be easy to have the axle too far forward.

An empty trailer with no tongue weight is a pain and may cause a bad ride. A trailer loaded with 5000lbs with too little tongue weight is an accident waiting to happen. On longer trailers you can shift the load to get the weight distribution right but a short trailer limits you.

As for tires I use truck tires. They may cost a little more but I've never had a problem with them. IMO I think tire mfgs do a better job making tires for cars and trucks than they do for trailers.

/ trailer design #33  
I did a lot of research on truck tires v/s trailer tires when it was time to replace my tires on my car trailer this past spring. Called several manufactors and got several different stories on how their tires were superior to others; however, what everyone pretty much said was: On a single axle trailer you can get away useing regular truck tires, but not recommended, since trailer sway plays havoic on the sidewall. On a dual axled trailer you should only run a tire specificly designed for use on a trailer because with a dual axled trailer, the tires aren't just tagging along, in turns they have severe forces applied to the side wall which trys to tear the tire off the rim especially in a tight turn and standard truck tire isn't designed to tollarate those sidewall forces it's designed just to carry the weight. So once again I bought trailer tires. Shoot I got close to 20k out of my last set with rotating them from front to back keeping the wear equal since the back tires are always skiding around tight corners.

/ trailer design #34  
LD-1;
Have you priced Dexter axles lately ? 8K axles list for $978.00 and that is what my supplier wants for them. Times 2 = two thousand in axles prior to buying any steel.
I have never seen a single axle hand operated dump trailer for $800. That is not within anyones imagination. ( Was it made of wood with a snowmobile axle intended for an ATV ? )

/ trailer design #35  
LD-1;
Have you priced Dexter axles lately ? 8K axles list for $978.00 and that is what my supplier wants for them. Times 2 = two thousand in axles prior to buying any steel.
I have never seen a single axle hand operated dump trailer for $800. That is not within anyones imagination. ( Was it made of wood with a snowmobile axle intended for an ATV ? )

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I am not sure why singled me out just to disagree with things that I did NOT say?????

First of all, I wasnt talking dexter torsion axles, let alone 8k torsion axles.

Second, I wasnt talking about a dump trailer either. I was saying that for $800 or so, that you could buy a used skid-steer trailer in my area.

And a SS trailer is obviously NOT going to be made with snowmobie axles or out of wood.
Here is just one example of what I am talking about
HD Skid Steer Trailer

So bottom line, I have no Idea why you singled me out, and/or disagreed with what I said, when you obviously didn't read MY post.

/ trailer design #36  
I did a lot of research on truck tires v/s trailer tires when it was time to replace my tires on my car trailer this past spring. Called several manufactors and got several different stories on how their tires were superior to others; however, what everyone pretty much said was: On a single axle trailer you can get away useing regular truck tires, but not recommended, since trailer sway plays havoic on the sidewall. On a dual axled trailer you should only run a tire specificly designed for use on a trailer because with a dual axled trailer, the tires aren't just tagging along, in turns they have severe forces applied to the side wall which trys to tear the tire off the rim especially in a tight turn and standard truck tire isn't designed to tollarate those sidewall forces it's designed just to carry the weight. So once again I bought trailer tires. Shoot I got close to 20k out of my last set with rotating them from front to back keeping the wear equal since the back tires are always skiding around tight corners.

A dealer told me the same thing. But since I can buy tires from a pickup out of a junk yard for for less than half of what new trailer tires cost and none of my trailers sway unless they are loaded wrong it beats replacing a leaky dry rotted trailer tire with next to no mileage on them from lack of use.

/ trailer design #37  
Another example of the things I find for sale locally

small equip. trailer

It does not make sense to me to buy new axles, etc. and try to build a trailer when used trailers are fairly reasonable.

I have no Idea what kind of axles it has or the condition it is in, but If I were looking to do what the OP is, I'd at least make a phone call or take a look.

/ trailer design #38  
I have a 6.5' X 12' All steel with dual 5000lb axles for sale right now.

Asking $1300 Neg.
Located in New Bern, NC