trailer design

/ trailer design #21  
Thought about using square tube. I was concerned that any water that got inside would just cause it to rust. It seems a lot of the equipment trailers Ive seen are build out of C-channel.
!

Weld the open ends of the square tubing shut and they won't rust inside. There is not enough oxygen in the tubing to allow rust to form. I cut a piece off my trailer tubing after about 6 years to make a change to it and it was not rusted inside. It takes continuous exposure to oxygen and moisture for rust to take place. That's why they like to store airplanes and big equipment in Arizona, very little moisture to cause corrosion. You can also drill a small drain hole in any piece that you think will be likely to get water in it so it can drain and dry out. The two uprights at the end of my trailer have been on the trailer since it was built 10 years ago and they have not shown signs of rusting out. They are open at the top with a drain hole at the bottom.

/ trailer design #23  
Just curious, but what kind of tires would be needed on a single axle for 6,000lb capacity?

/ trailer design #24  
I agree, a trailer balanced like I mentioned is a bear to tow when empty...I've got one. I just seldom tow it empty.
I'm tempted to mount a 45gallon drum on the front of it so I can pump in 450lb of water for when I do have to haul it empty. Its still easier to hook up than one that needs to be held on a jack and the truck backed in to exactly the right spot when you are all alone....

/ trailer design #25  
I just purchased a 6x10 dump trailer, tandem axle, all 10 gauge steel mostly powder coated, with front canopy, heavy ramps included, two hydraulic lift cylinders, combination dump/barndoor tailgate, all lamps rubber mounted, rated at 9800 lbs. This is a quality trailer. Purchased from Romney Cycle, Romney , WV. romneycycles.com. Great folks to deal with. Purchase price, $3900.00. check the website, hope this helps., Bye the way, my neighbor special ordered a 7x12 gooseneck for about $5000.

/ trailer design #26  
I just noticed you are planning to use a 6k axle, I realize you are working on a budget but the weak point in the 6k single axle is the tires. I build and haul old Harleys all over the country and recall vividly the time I blew a "New tire" on I95 with a load of bikes in a single axle. The tire tore the fender off and threw it forward past my window, I was lucky to maintain control and not flip the trailer. When I got home I bought a tandem axle trailer., They cost a little more but the second axle is a great safety factor as it distributes the weight and allows you to maintain control if you lose a tire. Just my thoughts.

/ trailer design #27  
I just noticed you are planning to use a 6k axle, I realize you are working on a budget but the weak point in the 6k single axle is the tires. I build and haul old Harleys all over the country and recall vividly the time I blew a "New tire" on I95 with a load of bikes in a single axle. The tire tore the fender off and threw it forward past my window, I was lucky to maintain control and not flip the trailer. When I got home I bought a tandem axle trailer., They cost a little more but the second axle is a great safety factor as it distributes the weight and allows you to maintain control if you lose a tire. Just my thoughts.

100% agree.

Ohh yea - stay away from goodyear marathons. They are JUNK

/ trailer design #28  
Well I will buck the trend here, I really like the single axle trailer I have. Its a 12x6 tilt with a 8K axle and sets about 14" off the ground and handles really well and is easy to handle in town and I never should never be able to over load it. But I have with pallets of concrete.

/ trailer design #29  
FWIW

The cost to tag a trailer is often determined by the weight rating of the axle. Especially for home built ones.

If you don't need the capacity why pay for it all year long?

/ trailer design #30  
Regarding the cost to tag trailers, I have 4 utility trailers for a multitude of uses, never able to reduce past that number, and tag purchases always hit the wallet. I recently bought a 6x10 dump trailer, GVWR 9800, and the tags in MD would cost $156.00 for two years. I heard you could tag trailers in Maine at a reasonable price so I Googled Maine trailer tags or something like that. The bottom line, my dump trailer is now titled and tagged in Maine, 5 years for $50.00 +-, perfectly legal and now I notice many trailers, especially semi's, tagged in Maine. Anything to save a buck.