Trencher or Backhoe for 1500'

/ Trencher or Backhoe for 1500' #21  
I assume Florida is flat with few rocks .

I guess if you are on the beach.. but the rest of the state is limerock... pretty much anywhere in the state you dig a hole you hit limerock and our aquifer... anywhere you find limerock.. you also find flint rock too!
if it's not rock.. it's marsh.. both are a PITA

soundguy

/ Trencher or Backhoe for 1500' #22  
I look at it this way.. rent the walk behind..if you hit a rock that stops you, use the backhoe and dig it out, then continue with the trencher!

/ Trencher or Backhoe for 1500' #23  
Radartech has the right idea. When backfilling use the backhoe loader bucket- but keep it full of dirt and use it like a dozer blade. Just use it to push dirt back into the trench. When the trench is full use the backhoe with a loaded bucket to wheel roll the trench. This is just putting the front wheel in the trench and packing it down. If I remember right 1200 feet of 8" gas pipe was considered a good day for a really good pipeliner. Reminder to backfill with good dirt- nothing sharp.

/ Trencher or Backhoe for 1500' #24  
You might want to call a local trenching company you would be amazed how fast and cheap some people.
If you get a rental drop the boom and let it eat. A walkbehind could handle it but real easy to run a big trencher if there is rocks.

/ Trencher or Backhoe for 1500' #25  
Im just a heavy equipment mechanic, But Ive spent lots of time out on job sites watching what goes on.

Seen a crew use the ripper on a D6 to rough cut (so to speak) all the under ground utilities. Then came back through with a trencher. With the ripper they knew where the rocks where and then used the hammer to bust up the big stuff. It wasnt the fastest, But it saved alot of wear and tare on the equipment and everything was spot on for the undergound mapping.

/ Trencher or Backhoe for 1500' #26  
Good points! The power company specifically told me they will give me some latitude on trench depth if I encounter rocks. I need to see what is down there and check on the depth they will allow. It's 12,000 volts and I wouldn't want to go too shallow.

I'm glad you mentioned a ripper on your OC6 and I would like to ask for some advice. I have a Cat 955L track loader which is a medium large machine weighing 36,000 pounds. I don't have a ripper on it but wish I had a single ripper in the center. If I encounter an extreme rock situation and I did have some sort of very strong ripper what would the effect be? This might be a hair brained idea but I was thinking about the possibility of running the Cat along the trench path to break up the ground and then the hoe or trencher would have a very easy job working the trench. Do you think it would disturb too much ground and make the trench too wide? I'm a first time equipment operator and need to ask these silly questions.

Ive worked on only a couple 955(they havent been made in a few years(1983 or 84)), Ive seen them with rippers. Mostly with 3 tooths to help with hardpack. A 955 is almost the same as a D7 low track. When using the ripper rocks and roots will get pulled out of the ground. On newer tractors when you hit a large rock the pressure sense system in the hydrualics will lift the ripper. On older machines the tractor will just stop or spin the tracks. And as far as running the 55 over the ground to be trenched without anything in the dirt, It might compact the ground more.

My advice would be to try the trencher, but have the backhoe ready to strike if need be.

/ Trencher or Backhoe for 1500' #27  
I think your best plan would be to use the trencher and when you hit something you can't dig bring in the backhoe. If you have help they can can continue to run the trencher as you dig out any rocks. Also check with your power company. Some will allow you to put the conduit closer to the surface if you bury it on cement.

/ Trencher or Backhoe for 1500' #28  
I've put in trenches by the mile and I've done it a few ways. I dug them with a back hoe and that is the most inefficient method and the most time consuming.

Walk behind trencher is the most difficult. If you ever got one stuck you know what I mean.

Ride on is next to the best.

But IMHO a track loader with a trencher attachment is the way to go. The walk behind and the ride on get bogged down and even if they are 4x4 they get stuck constantly - unless you are on a monster ride on trencher.

The track loader does not get stuck, is comfortable to be in and depending on what the material is it cuts a trench in the quickest time.

/ Trencher or Backhoe for 1500' #29  
I'm extending power onto my property and I have a dilemma. The trench needs to be 1500' in length, 40" deep, and 8" minimum width for 3" conduit.

I own a full size Deere 410 backhoe with a 12" bucket but 1500' seems to be an aweful long trench for a backhoe. I bought the hoe to build up the property and would love to use it but I'm thinking a rented trencher would be the smart move. I haven't dug much on the property yet but I'm expecting that rocks could come into play.

What say you?

I say:

Rent the BIGGEST BADDEST ride-on track or 4 x4 trencher you can get your hands on (or afford) and save your backhoe for any rocks you come across....

The time and effort you save will be worth it...

I have been putting in underground power and water on my small ranch in central Texas, and like you, I have about a 1500 foot corridor...

I have thrashed the smaller 36" walk-behind units to a dead halt on thick mats of tree roots present throughout the property, where the ride-on units tore thru the root masses like they were marshmallows and produced 250-300 feet of 36"-60" deep trench per operating hour in a brick-hard dried sandy clay.

That's the short story....if you want to read the whole sordid tale, check in at:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/159935-old-goat-ranch-texas-20.html

Good luck on your project....keep on posting as you go so I can keep an eye out and compare notes with you as we build....:D

...so sez I...:rolleyes:

Terry

/ Trencher or Backhoe for 1500' #30  
"...you live right, eat right, exercise every day and you DIE ANYWAY.

:laughing::D:laughing::laughing::):laughing:

I always say, "None of us are getting out of this alive".