Trespassing signs

/ Trespassing signs #141  
The post about manure reminded me of a client of mine who is a diary farmer and found a jeep that got stuck in one of his fields. The kid had worked for him in the past and so there may have already been some bad blood between the two so when the farmer saw the fields all torn up he was pretty steamed. He decided to unload a wagon of manure on the jeep...... and the windows happened to be down. I think he took pity on the kid and helped him get the jeep unstuck but let's just say the lesson was learned.

This story brings a smile to my face every time I remember it.

/ Trespassing signs #143  
Being the Tree geek that I am I use a nylon line that is UV resistant if I can. Reason being is it is no fun hitting nails and screws with a chainsaw if that tree needs to be cut up. I leave a bit of slack in the line to allow for growth.. Plain old nylon line will work for a long time. I like the one posters idea of thorns and poison ivy! :thumbsup:

I was wondering when a treehugger, logger type would show up talking about the use of nails to hold signs in trees. :D I do not like to do it either. On of the big trees on my property line got hit by lightning and needs to be dropped. It has a few nails in it but I do know where they are. :laughing: I think. :eek:

How are you attaching the line to the signs? Seems like cutting holes in the signs would make the sign rip faster and just blow in the wind. Or are you using wood/metal signs?

Later,
Dan

/ Trespassing signs #144  
I was wondering when a treehugger, logger type would show up talking about the use of nails to hold signs in trees. :D I do not like to do it either. On of the big trees on my property line got hit by lightning and needs to be dropped. It has a few nails in it but I do know where they are. :laughing: I think. :eek:

How are you attaching the line to the signs? Seems like cutting holes in the signs would make the sign rip faster and just blow in the wind. Or are you using wood/metal signs?

Later,
Dan

If the sign doesn't have holes in it because I use metal signs then I will thump holes in with a nail. Then use a bit of wire loop through the hole to keep the metal edges from cutting the string. Then wrap the string around top and bottom of the sign with a square not that I can let some slack out later if I need. As far as finding nails seems like my chainsaw is a pretty good metal detector.. I have used a decent metal detector in the past and painted where I get "hits" with the metal detector. Some of the mills around here won't accept trees from home owner lots due to the risk of nails and metal.
PS: I like the purple paint idea. That won't harm chainsaws.

/ Trespassing signs #145  
I've been mounting all my signs on pieces of plywood cut somewhat larger than the sign, then attaching the sign to a fence post or tree. The last couple I put in were mounted to the trees with 3" self-tapping hex-head screws. It tends to be pretty windy here and I was concerned that leaving any slack (either by not snugging the screws down or by using rope or something to tie the sign to the tree) would let the sign whip back and forth until something just broke loose.
Thankfully, most of our local ATV folks are either respectful of signs or too lazy to get off their machines if there is some impassable obstacle in their way (ie, they might trespass if it isn't signed or blocked). Hence, I am planning installation of several counterbalance, self-raising, bar-gates across critical (obvious) access points. The first (to a woods trail) will be a 14' board with a pivot point about 30" from one end and a counterweight on the short end so the open (up) position is the default...I'll have a latch arrangement to lock it down most of the time, and signed, too, of course!
BOB

/ Trespassing signs #146  
Here in Fl, Spanish Bayonet (Yucca schidigera) makes a good fence cover crop. Even if the fence gets old and deteriorated, once the Spanish Bayonet is mature it will keep growing, in fact it can be hard to get rid of.

One attempt through such a barrier is usually all it takes to never do it again.

Now, as for the gates and road access, that is another problem and many people think the signs apply to everyone except them.

/ Trespassing signs #147  
If the sign doesn't have holes in it because I use metal signs then I will thump holes in with a nail. Then use a bit of wire loop through the hole to keep the metal edges from cutting the string. Then wrap the string around top and bottom of the sign with a square not that I can let some slack out later if I need. As far as finding nails seems like my chainsaw is a pretty good metal detector.. I have used a decent metal detector in the past and painted where I get "hits" with the metal detector. Some of the mills around here won't accept trees from home owner lots due to the risk of nails and metal.
PS: I like the purple paint idea. That won't harm chainsaws.

I use aluminum nails to attach signs and/or markers to trees on my property lines.

I drive the nails in only as far as necessary to hold the sign secure, leaving as much nail exposed as possible to allow for tree growth.

Usually takes at least five years for the tree to grow enough to consume the nail, most markers/signs have deteriorated before that.

The aluminum nails don't dull my chainsaw.

/ Trespassing signs #148  
:thumbsup:
I use aluminum nails to attach signs and/or markers to trees on my property lines.

I drive the nails in only as far as necessary to hold the sign secure, leaving as much nail exposed as possible to allow for tree growth.

Usually takes at least five years for the tree to grow enough to consume the nail, most markers/signs have deteriorated before that.

The aluminum nails don't dull my chainsaw.

/ Trespassing signs #149  
I like this one

Attachments

• 403668_318718904840141_233757336669632_938945_1468765574_n[1].jpg
    403668_318718904840141_233757336669632_938945_1468765574_n[1].jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 327
   / Trespassing signs #150  
My farmer buddy lets this guy roam the pastures with the cows. He will run with no hesitation...... at you! Not docile at all. There's a reason he is sporting that length of chain on his nose ring.

Angry20BullMA12414711-0001.jpg

Just saw this and thought I'd explain this. The reason for the length of chain hanging from the nose ring is this bull obviously has a history of not respecting electric fences. A setup like that learns 'em real quick... ;)