Truss question for Garden Shed Build

/ Truss question for Garden Shed Build
Okay, I have two walls up and the third ready to stand this afternoon. Hopefully I can get some pictures taken this weekend. I have never framed for a window but checked the wall with the window and everything looks good. Just took a little extra time. I have about a hour and a half of daylight to work in the evening so I have been able to frame a wall and stand it, level, plum and brace before dark. Hopefully Saturday I get get a lot completed...except the wife my want to go to the Mountain Stae Fair in Asheville this weekend:thumbdown::)

Would you put the siding on before the rafters or after?

/ Truss question for Garden Shed Build #32  
Would you put the siding on before the rafters or after?

Sounds like your making good progress. There are a lot of options on sequence, but the norm is 1. Frame walls, 2. Frame roof, 3. Sheath and shingle roof, 4. Install siding, 5. Finish soffit, eaves, etc.

I don't know how you are doing the walls, but I usually frame and sheath them laying flat and then stand them up. After the roof is finished, I would wrap with tyvek and add siding.

P.S. Take the wife to the fair. A little time off won't hurt and it will pay back in the long run. :thumbsup:

/ Truss question for Garden Shed Build #33  
My wife is still resentful because i worked on the tractor, then worked with it on the farm on labor day, instead of spending time w the family...kenny G gave a bit of good advice there.

/ Truss question for Garden Shed Build #34  
I like to frame everything, then sheething. It's just nice to have the walls open when doing the roof.

Eddie

That is what I have done in the past but I had a couple of people tell me to sheet the walls first for added strenght. I have actually built several 3 sided sheds in the past but this is my first gable roof. I should have the fourth wall up tonight and will get some pictures this weekend. I plan to get the ridge board and rafters Saturday morning but I don't think I will get them all up Saturday. My son will be able to help me some on Saturday...well at least hold some boards for me:laughing:.

My wife decided she did not want to attend the Mountain State Fair:thumbsup: even though I told her I could use a break and would be more than happy to take her:D. Now I am wondering what she has planned for me to do in the next few weeks:eek:.

/ Truss question for Garden Shed Build #36  
You don't have any particular need for strength from the sheathing while you are building the roof. Your original question said siding, which i took to mean the final surface. However, I do like to add the sheathing (OSB/plywood) first, while the walls are still laying flat on the ground. I learned this years ago from an experienced builder. If you are careful and square the framing perfectly while on the ground, you can nail the sheathing on laying flat and it's much faster. When you erect the walls, they will align perfectly if your slab/floor is level and everything goes much faster.

Was finally able to get some pictures this weekend. This is a slow process doing it by myself. I was abe to get some help Saturday form my son. It just proved to me that if I had someone helping from the beginning it would be about complete.

I plan to put siding on during the week and the other half of the roof this Saturday. I have more columns to put on the porch and lots of finish work. The block it is on have footings under them and I will rock those later. Will be adding large granite steps on the front and one side.

I am currently debating on shingles or metal for the roof. We are leaning towards metal, non-painted, to get the look we want.

Holding rafters up with one hand and nailing with the nail gun in the other is not easy!:(:D

And I was finally able to get the date on the camera set:thumbsup:

David

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    554.6 KB · Views: 1,152
  • Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    648.7 KB · Views: 2,315
   / Truss question for Garden Shed Build #39  
Looks like you're doing a great job. I always hate to give advice after the job it done, but if anyone else is doing rafters single handed, I've found it's useful to put a 1x2 or similar strip at the bottom of the ridgeboard at the right height to rest the top end of the rafter on. With this approach, I've built roofs with 18 foot long 2x6 rafters by myself (When I was younger, of course). :D

Kenny,

I thought about using the strip at the bottom of the ridgeboard when I was 3/4 of the way finished. I used the strip for the floor joist but why I did not think of it on the ridgeboard...:confused3::ashamed: