Truss question for Garden Shed Build

/ Truss question for Garden Shed Build #51  
You are so lucky to live in a place that allows a building that size to be on blocks. Here in my town, anything unattached and over 100sq ft has to have a building permit, footings inspected, and final inspection. Then they tax the h**l out of you the following year. I'd love a "shed" like that, but I just can't afford it in the long run.

/ Truss question for Garden Shed Build #52  
Nice build. It always feels good when you near the end.

I have started my shed project similar to this shed but just a bit larger. I followed this thread with interest as there is good info here. I, too, am going with a cement block foundation as there is no building department to contend with. I am going to lay out the blocks as if I were building 2 smaller buildings side by side. Around here I have seen some houses build on block foundations. Still the tax man cometh. Each year they check aerial maps plus they do a drive by inspection. When I built my 30x40 shop just as I had the walls up and the roof started, they stopped by to get the info they needed to add to the tax roll at a later date.

/ Truss question for Garden Shed Build
You are so lucky to live in a place that allows a building that size to be on blocks. Here in my town, anything unattached and over 100sq ft has to have a building permit, footings inspected, and final inspection. Then they tax the h**l out of you the following year. I'd love a "shed" like that, but I just can't afford it in the long run.

Here anything over 10 x 10 requires a permit even if it is one of the prefab buildings that is moved to your site and sat on blocks.

Building on blocks is not an issue but you are required to tie the building down. My small building is tied down with 4 MH anchors.

ETpilot,

Have you started a thread on you building?

/ Truss question for Garden Shed Build #55  
ETpilot,

Have you started a thread on you building?

No thread started. I am taking pictures and wife is posting on facebook for family members to see. Your thread has good info on shed building. Only difference with mine is I am going with a gambrel roof. That will be a first for me as I have never built a gambrel. Should be interesting and fun. Lots to think about. So far I have layed out the corner blocks but then got rained out with 6" of rain. Tomorrow I will see what I have after the rain. I am using a water level to level up the foundation. I see in your post 37 you mention footings under the block. How did you do the footing?

I see in your post 37 you mention footings under the block. How did you do the footing?

Once I determined where the block were going I dug down about 8-10 inches and poured some concrete in and leveled.

I am not worried about the frost causing any issues for this size building. The ground is hard as a rock around here.

Last edited:
   / Truss question for Garden Shed Build #57  
I use a rubbermaid Storage Shed from home depot or lowes, about $400-$600. Its completely plastic, assembly is easy, and can be moved around if needed or taken apart and put back together quickly. They also make a small garbage can shed that hold 4 cans, buy 2 and put them behind each other, and a sled fits right in there with the windshield taken off. They have a door and a roof that opens.