Upgrade Downtime

/ Upgrade Downtime #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When it's yellow, there are new posts. When it's white, no new posts. )</font>

Does yellow mean brand new threads or could it also mean just new replies to existing threads?

/ Upgrade Downtime #22  
<font color="blue">Now I have to click twice to see whats new.</font>

I understand that it's not quite as intuitive, but there is a realistic limit to what can be accomplished with the amount of data we're dealing with, and our current server budget.

We are going to look into options of archiving, which would allow for us to reduce our active database size to around 100,000 posts, and in turn allow more features, including the new post counts and a spell checker. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

But until we come up with a logical archiving solution, we have to make some compromises to deliver quick loading of all the messages.

/ Upgrade Downtime #23  
<font color="blue">Does yellow mean brand new threads or could it also mean just new replies to existing threads?</font>

/ Upgrade Downtime #24  
Hi Muhammad,

Besides checking the Mark all read option at the top of the screen to speed things up... what are some other things, us TBN users can do to help keep the speed up... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Upgrade Downtime #25  
I liked the feature identifying the quantity of new posts. I can also appreciate the extra resources necessary to make this feature available.

Just a thought - I participate in less than half of the forums on the board. Perhaps one would be able to pick the forums for which they would like to have this feature?

/ Upgrade Downtime #26  
<font color="blue">Besides checking the Mark all read option at the top of the screen to speed things up... what are some other things, us TBN users can do to help keep the speed up</font>

At this point, we've done all that work for you. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif There shouldn't be anything to slow your browsing down. Marking all as read isn't as necessary as it used to be.

/ Upgrade Downtime #27  
<font color="blue">Just a thought - I participate in less than half of the forums on the board. Perhaps one would be able to pick the forums for which they would like to have this feature?
</font>

It's an all or none feature, and changing it from that would be somewhat complicated. I can imagine it working, but it's sort of counter-productive to work on that when we could be working on archiving, or some other feature.

/ Upgrade Downtime
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Besides checking the Mark all read option at the top of the screen to speed things up... what are some other things, us TBN users can do to help keep the speed up... )</font>

Go outside more?

Seriously, some points to consider are:

Don't hit refresh multiple times if the site is slow. That just makes it take all the longer to come back. Trust me. There is a timeout of 300 seconds (5 minutes) on your request. If it's taking THAT long, then it'll bomb out. But that's how long the server will keep it alive. So if you refreshed 5 times every minute, you'd have 25 requests to the server instead of 1.

When searching, narrow your search as much as possible. Now that we have just single forums, that's not as much as a concern. But don't go searching for common words and stuff like that. 'kubota' is a very strange thing to search the Kubota Owning/Operating Forum for. (But if you can limit it to the past year, past 6 months, etc, that'll speed things up too.)

But the changes we've made have us jumping pretty darn quick.

-Ibrahim

/ Upgrade Downtime #29  
<font color="blue"> I don't see any little tractor signs. I see what looks like little light bulbs. </font>

Garry,

All of us who HAVE tractors get to see the tractor icon. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif