uses for used motor oil?

/ uses for used motor oil? #62  
Why use 15W40 when its twice as much?:confused2: Around here the cheapest 15W40 oil I can get, (Rotella, Dello 400, or Mobil Delvac) runs $12 per gallon. I can buy bar oil all day long at Menards or Rural King for $5.99 per gallon.

Chris

If i buy chain oil in 1 gal cans and we get 15/40 in 205 litre barrels they run about the same per gallon the benefit is convenience of just running to the barrel to get it . Even Wal-mart is more like $10 a gallon for chain oil !

/ uses for used motor oil? #63  
I use my old motor oil mostly for chainsaw bar oil and bonfire starter fluid. After I did my last full tractor service, I gave away the 14 gallons of old oil I had (10 hydraulic oil, 4 motor) to a friend who works for the railroad - they use old oil to lube track switches. If I had a decent filter to run it through, I wouldn't think twice about dumping it into my fuel oil tank, and I really should've done that with my old hydraulic oil, but I wouldn't put old motor oil in my tractors fuel tank and/or hydro system.

JayC

/ uses for used motor oil? #64  
I would not put used motor oil in a chain saw. My FIL did this for a couple seasons and then the pump stopped drawing oil. I took the saw apart and found the lube oil hose was like goo, I assume from the contaminates in the used oil. I have burned some in my house oil furnace. I filtered and mixed it with normal fuel with no issues. The furnace filter and blower nozzle get replaced fairly often as maintenance and haven't seen any issues. Actually, I'm way overdue to replace them as it is and it's still fine.

I used motor oil exclusively in my saws for years. However, most if not all of the oil comes out of my dirtbikes, and I change that stuff out WAY before it even begins to change color - so, no goo. I really should start burning it in my furnace - I think I'm going to look into making some kind of filtering setup to clean it up before dumping it in to the tank.

JayC

/ uses for used motor oil? #65  
   / uses for used motor oil? #66  
I pour my used motor oil on my sandy road. Helps settle the sand and control dust

Up here in the liberal, environmentally correct, Northeast, that would be a huge no-no. If I did it, my neighbors would turn me in to the Department of Environmental Protection. DEP, in turn, would hire an expensive contractor to come in and remove all my contaminated soil (probably to 1.5 foot deep), which they would run through an incinerator to clean it, then they would stick me with a bill for hundreds of thousands of $!

If I spill a drop of oil on the ground, I try to sop it up real quick and hope nobody sees!

/ uses for used motor oil? #67  
Another option is to buy a bypass filter system and stop changing oil altogether! You would still change filters and have the oil tested at intervals (long intervals) but as long as the oil is clean (bypass filter system) and the additives don't wear out then there is no reason to change it. There is a company on the gulf coast that had one of their bypass systems on a 1990 Peterbilt that went 1 million miles with 1 oil change and the only wear was in the rings. And he only changed oil because it was dumped by mistake at the 500,000 mile tear down. He is now near 1.5 million miles with only rings replaced and the oil is near a million.

/ uses for used motor oil? #68  
Back in the olden days when I was a kid, I remember my Dad and Grandad spreading used oil on the gravel road and farm yard, then going over it with a drag. I used to get to drive the tractor pulling the drag. Like was said, if you did that now, you would be in big trouble.......

I save it for a couple young guys who cut fire wood. No idea how it works for them. Must be OK. I keep a small squirt bottle near the drill press. And use it to coat the surfaces of farming tools off season.

Also, there was a small creek ran through a couple pastures on our place for about a mile. My Grandpa used to put about 1/2 coffee cup of used oil in the creek on the very upstream end of our property. Doing this only when the water was slow and stable. It would drift along the edges in the grass and weeds. Not enough to bother livestock drinking from the creek, but it would make a BIG difference in the amount of mosquitoes in the evenings.

Now it is the best to take it to a recycling center. I know it is burned in a local coal fired power plant. And pumped to a great lakes port near here for ship boiler fuel.

Good luck

/ uses for used motor oil? #69  
Another option is to buy a bypass filter system and stop changing oil altogether! You would still change filters and have the oil tested at intervals (long intervals) but as long as the oil is clean (bypass filter system) and the additives don't wear out then there is no reason to change it. There is a company on the gulf coast that had one of their bypass systems on a 1990 Peterbilt that went 1 million miles with 1 oil change and the only wear was in the rings. And he only changed oil because it was dumped by mistake at the 500,000 mile tear down. He is now near 1.5 million miles with only rings replaced and the oil is near a million.

Does it have a filter media that resembles a roll of toilet paper??

Years ago (60 or 70's) my grandfather was working for TVA in Miss and they had a by-pass filter on their company cars and pickup trucks

/ uses for used motor oil? #70  
If i buy chain oil in 1 gal cans and we get 15/40 in 205 litre barrels they run about the same per gallon the benefit is convenience of just running to the barrel to get it . Even Wal-mart is more like $10 a gallon for chain oil !

Maybe in Canada its $10 per gallon but around here its $6 per gallon day in and out. $4.50 on sale.

My best cost on Rotella in a 55 gallon Drum is $650. 55 gallons is 205 liters. I buy a couple a year. We run it in boats and I do about 75 boat oil changes per year. That $11.82 per gallon.

Chris