Using drawbar to support ballast on 2310?

/ Using drawbar to support ballast on 2310? #21  
I was thinking I could use the 3 point hitch arms to lift the steel block. Maybe I need to re-think things but my idea was to run a bar through some sort of eye or eyes on the block and use the arms to lift the block. Then the arm would be slid out after the weight, the welded block, was fastened in place. I better take a good look at things, make a cardboard mock up, to make sure things will work the way I want.
I have been doing the same type of thing for my power steering add on. Old garden hose and a cardboard box to simulate hydraulic hoses and the diverter valve. I think doing these mock ups is going to save me a lot of time. While I'm installing the power steering I am going to re-route at least two hydraulic hoses that were added when the loader was put on. And maybe more. It's interesting looking at another person's work and trying to figure out just why they did it a certain way.
Eric

Part of your idea matches this too.

/ Using drawbar to support ballast on 2310? #22  
... I better take a good look at things, make a cardboard mock up, to make sure things will work the way I want.
I have been doing the same type of thing for my power steering add on. Old garden hose and a cardboard box to simulate hydraulic hoses and the diverter valve. I think doing these mock ups is going to save me a lot of time. While I'm installing the power steering I am going to re-route at least two hydraulic hoses that were added when the loader was put on. And maybe more. It's interesting looking at another person's work and trying to figure out just why they did it a certain way.
Eric
Great strategy!

The comment about other people's work had me laughing out loud. The prior owner of this place worked in sheet metal. So, ...everything that could be made out of sheet metal, was. For example, there were metal caps for the length of every 2x6 on the fences. He made the gutters himself I think, and then installed them dead level so they didn't drain, plus every downspout was custom made to a custom size.

Many of his solutions are "creative", and some definitely have me guessing as to why. Yesterday's was discovering that the barn electrical panel had no ground, but the ground rod was already there, just no clamp or wire connecting it to the panel, and no ground terminal in the panel. :unsure: "Creative"

One advantage to tire ballast is that the weight isn't on the frame or linkages. Wheel weights are a close second. These days things like beet juice are a less corrosive alternative to calcium chloride.

All the best,

Peter

/ Using drawbar to support ballast on 2310? #24  
studies have been done long ago showing wheel weights are better for traction than ballast in the tire.
Probably because the tires conform to the ground better.

And the tires absorb bumps better if they aren't full of water. I drained my tires after installing iron wheel weights and the ride improved noticeably.

/ Using drawbar to support ballast on 2310? #25  
I'm guessing the OP wants ballast AND to use a 3 pt PTO implement at the same time.

/ Using drawbar to support ballast on 2310?
I'm guessing the OP wants ballast AND to use a 3 pt PTO implement at the same time.
That's correct. I'm thinking about wheel weights too but don't have the steel plate pieces big enough. I'm gonna check the local scrapyard to see what thickness and how much steel plate they have. And how much it will cost too. I'm not gonna buy cast weights because they are way too expensive for my needs. I would fill the tires now but they are pretty worn so I might be buying new tires soon. Except looking around on the web and calling tire stores within 100 miles I can't find anything cheaper than about 250 bucks per tire and that's more than I want to spend right now. So sticking with what I have at this time is gonna have to do. Especially since I still need to buy hoses and fittings and oil and filters to finish the power steering install. And I want to buy a rototiller. Priorities.
Eric

/ Using drawbar to support ballast on 2310? #27  
Do you live in a region where it is safe to fill the tires with plain water? Its simple, if you do.

On my YM240 with oversize tires I first tried maximum fill, to the top of the rims, then 50% which works better.

/ Using drawbar to support ballast on 2310?
Do you live in a region where it is safe to fill the tires with plain water? Its simple, if you do.

On my YM240 with oversize tires I first tried maximum fill, to the top of the rims, then 50% which works better.
It freezes pretty hard here every winter. Usually just for maybe a week. Bad for tires I'm told.
Eric

/ Using drawbar to support ballast on 2310? #29  
Many of his solutions are "creative", and some definitely have me guessing as to why. Yesterday's was discovering that the barn electrical panel had no ground, but the ground rod was already there, just no clamp or wire connecting it to the panel, and no ground terminal in the panel. :unsure: "Creative"

More like the absent minded professor. LOL

/ Using drawbar to support ballast on 2310? #30  
It freezes pretty hard here every winter. Usually just for maybe a week. Bad for tires I'm told.
Eric

If you can't get beet juice, then get RV/Marine antifreeze, the pink stuff. It's PET SAFE too, and is not corrosive.