Tractor Sizing Utility Tractor for 21 acres

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions so far! Let me try to answer some of the questions that came up. In general, I suppose at this point I'm not really hung up on a specific machine, but more looking for generalities about the class of machine I should be looking for and researching. I'm not focusing on new or used, but researching new just so I know where to start looking (and since I can't count on finding used, I should be prepared to wisely use my budget and get the best I can new). I like the idea of buying used, finding out what I like vs not and need vs not, reselling it, then getting something more specialized based on what I learn. That may just end up based on availability of used in my area.

I think, but am not certain yet, that something along the lines of either the JD 2000 series or 3000 series is about the size and power I should be looking at? The advantages of the 2000 being the smaller size and better maneuverability (helpful in the woods and for mowing), plus lighter weight resulting in less compaction. And it's cheaper all around, leaving more money for (also cheaper) implements. The 3000 has the potential for more power (there is some overlap) and comfort (like a cab), has heavier duty capabilities, and is bigger and heavier. My question is, is there anything the 3000 can do that the 2000 can't, or is it mostly a matter of getting it done faster? (and I'd even apply that question to the 1000 series) For example, 2032R vs 3320. Both pretty similar power levels (~25 PTO). The 3005 has power between the two 2000 series, so what is my advantage there? Heck, both the 2000 series have more lift and loader capacity.

Honestly, MOST of the time I'm going to be using this for mowing. I would like to till and seed with it, but that's not an every-weekend usage. And, I have some projects I'd like to tackle, but they are going to take me a while anyway. So, speed of some of the other tasks (backhoe for instance) isn't really a top priority, if I am honest with myself as to what I'll actually be using this for.

mud23609 said:
How many horses are you planning on and what type of hay are you going to be feeding? Small squares, big squares or big rounds?

That's still an open question. We've got a six stall barn, but I think three is a more realistic number. We've done everything from ponies to shires in the past, and don't really have a preference at this point as to what breed we want. May even try to rescue a few. When it comes to fence building, I'll plan for the worst and make it as strong as anything I think would end up there. There are two small squares, comprising about an acre total directly adjacent to the barn. On the other side of the house are two giant squares, about 5.5 acres total. This backs onto the stream.

From what I've been reading, trying to hay this isn't such a good idea (at least not buying my own equipment to do), so I'm thinking it will be better instead to simply till the land and plant seeds and use it for pasture. I may eventually try to convert some of the land to a round pen or arena, but for now I want to simply enjoy the large open space!

Sorry but I've run out of time, I've been sitting here reading and drinking my coffee but have to run to work. I'll try to reply to the rest later! Piston, thanks for those links on time estimation, that was exactly what I was looking for.

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #12  
Based on your acreage, I recommended 6 ft. implements, which would nominally require 35 or more horsepower at the pto. I think the models you mentioned are going to confine you to 5 ft. implements, meaning more time mowing, etc. Up to you, but I think you need more tractor than that.

Also up to you, but many seem to find their dollar buys more when the equipment has another color of paint besides green. Not a knock on that brand (Deere does offer fine products), but a little shopping always calibrates the budgetary issues better, no matter what you're buying. For example, you might find a larger tractor that would handle 6 ft. implements would be in the same price range as the ones you've mentioned if it were a different brand.

Any farmers in the area that would do the hay on your place, either for shares or purchase? That's pretty common in places where there are still small acreage fields from 19th century farms, etc.

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #13  
Definitely stay high on the HP for horses. You will be lifting many things, especially building a bridge strong enough for the tractor with implements.

One thing to keep in mind is if you do buy JD they are easier to sell than say a Branson or Montana for example.

Another thing to consider is the feline aspect - Cat 1 or Cat 2? The crossover is about 40HP plus. A Cat 2 capable tractor will handle Cat 1 implements with ease and $2 bushings. Not as easy to go the other way.

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #14  
If you're not going to be handling large bales and mowing is the big concern than the 2000 or 3000 series would be plenty of machine for you. That being said. I've handled bales with a ford 3000 in the past (40 plus hp) and wouldn't want to do it again. Not that it didn't have the power it just flat out didn't have the weight to do it safely.

The smallest tractor I use for that task now is a 2002 TN75D New Holland that I picked up this winter for 21k with 3400 hours on it. Its about the perfect size for what I do with it (and the cab is great to have in the winter) but I wouldn't go a whole lot smaller for handling bales on the loader.

Take a look at tractorhouse.com I think you will find a variaty of units well under your price range that would work quite well for you. Often its worth driving a little farther as well. Mine was 250 miles from home. Same basic tractor at a local dealer was 27k and it cost me 650 bucks to get it here.

In your shoes I would look at tractors in the 15K and under range AND get a new dedicated mower instead. Yea its one more engine to maintain but tractors that actually work well in farm use don't work so great cutting the yard.

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #15  
I'm totally the wrong guy to ask about right sizing the tractor to your needs as I just bought a New Holland Powerstar 4.75 for 6.5 acres. Granted my needs included good road speed but otherwise my tractor is overkill. Having said that I don't have a lot of time available to mow my property and like to keep the grass short so it is very nice to be able to run bigger implements and run them faster. You can get big jobs done with a small tractor it just takes more time. In my case even though I like my seat time I am willing to pay a premium to be able to finish my work fast. Sometimes it is worth it to pay more for a bigger tractor to get things done quicker. Just something to think about.

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #16  
I'm totally the wrong guy to ask about right sizing the tractor to your needs as I just bought a New Holland Powerstar 4.75 for 6.5 acres. Granted my needs included good road speed but otherwise my tractor is overkill. Having said that I don't have a lot of time available to mow my property and like to keep the grass short so it is very nice to be able to run bigger implements and run them faster. You can get big jobs done with a small tractor it just takes more time. In my case even though I like my seat time I am willing to pay a premium to be able to finish my work fast. Sometimes it is worth it to pay more for a bigger tractor to get things done quicker. Just something to think about.

ATTABOY LT! :cool2:

I must have missed your thread that has all sorts of pictures, information, and review on your new 4.75. ;) Could you post a link to it here? :D I'd love to hear more about that without highjacking this thread.

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #17  
I have my second new tractor, a Kioti DK-40 se/hst which suits my 21 + acres of woods, old pastures, lawn, pond with bridge that easily handles the weight of the tractor. I use a used Scag Wildcat, 61" deck with bagger system to cut the lawn(s). I have a couple of other mowers, like DR.Brush mower with lawn deck too.
I agree with those who say try to buy bigger thn you THINK you need before finding out later you wish you'd gone bigger. I found this out the hard way- went from DK-35se/hst to Dk-40 se/hst and gained one cylinder, and about 1750+ lbs of loader lift. Huge difference- would never go back to smaller unit- nothing wrong with it- just not properly sized to my needs. Cost me a LOT of $$$ to do a trade with my selling dealer to move up 5HP (nominal).
Kioti DK-40's with HST are rugged, weigh enough to run a hoe, or whatever you might encounter on what is referred to around here as a 'hobby farm'.
Would having a separate mini-EX be nice?! Sure enough! But do I really need one- no. I can hire out and have done so, for over $250K worth of work on this property and the one I'm flipping next door.

A couple of pros on big machines are way more productive than I could ever be- but there is a big associated expense too.

Check out the DK-40 and up series of Kiotis in addition to other brands.
Good luck.

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #18  
sounds like you need a lawn mower and a tractor.horses equal fence building.you need a 40 horse utility tractor for the post hole digger moving hay bales and 6 ft bush hogging.for a older tractor i like the mf 150 ,165,245-275 if you add a loader international utilities have more hydraulics.for a newer one a jd 5105.i have had good luck with cub cadet lawn mowers.

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #19  
ATTABOY LT! :cool2:

I must have missed your thread that has all sorts of pictures, information, and review on your new 4.75. ;) Could you post a link to it here? :D I'd love to hear more about that without highjacking this thread.

I know... I've been bad and haven't posted pictures. I had a big case occur at work shortly before I took delivery of the new tractor and my whole office has been swamped working on it. I did post a thread about how much I like the new Alamo SHD88 flail cutter but never went into much detail. When I get back from vacation I hope to post some pictures and a more thorough review of my tractor.

Sorry for the thread hijack, now back to our regularly scheduled programming ;)

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #20  
Was in a similar situation about a year and a half ago. Needed to get a tractor to care for my childhood home horse farm, about 13 acres, a bit hilly in NY. Guy who brush hogged the place recommended at least 40 hp. Picked up a Ford 3000 about 48 years old off CL for about $4000 with an FEL. It has I think about 49 hp and 40 hp off the PTO (diesel) and I was concerned at first that it was a bit high in hp, that it was old, and only 2WD - and I am pretty much a newbie about this stuff. I paired it with a 6 foot Mott flail mower and a 6 foot box blade (also found on CL) and I have to say the work that I have been able to do with it is incredible. The property, which was pretty run down, needed better pasture management, so I thought the primary task would be mowing. A year and a half later the grass looks better than it ever has. I discovered all kinds of additional uses for the equipment - removing old fencing, disposing of manure, lifting junk onto the truck to get to the dump, preparing brush fires for burning, yanking out multiflora bushes by the roots (a particular scourge here). The box blade is fantastic for reconditioning old fence line, smoothing the gravel driveway, and taking the teeth out I was able to plow out the barn this winter of about three feet of snow. My total investment so far