Tractor Sizing Utility Tractor for 21 acres

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #21  
has been less than $10k. We have three horses. Another thing to consider is whether or not you get a lot of power outages - with the hurricanes that have been blowing through here it would be nice to get a 10kw or so PTO generator and run the house and the barn off it.

Good luck with your equipment search!

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #22  
I'd go minimum 40HP and minimum weight of 3500lbs. Then I'd stick with my current lawn mower or buy another cheap one. Real hard to have a lawn mower and a work tractor in the same skin.

As someone mentioned, go to www.tractorhouse.com and look around. You'll get an education on used equipment values as well as what's available in new equipment. Great place to educate yourself on attachment costs as well.

I'll put on my Genie hat and get out my crystal ball...... If you buy a SCUT tractor such as a 1000 series Deere or BX Kubota you'll be on here complaining about having too small of tractor within a year. "See my first remarks". :)

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #23  
As others have said, I would look real hard at 35 horsepower and larger with weights in the 3500# range. There were some outstanding utility tractors in the 1970-1980s by John Deere and International Harvester. JD 1010, 1020, 1520, 2010, 2020, 2520 and IH 444, 454, 464. The size will handle many implements and there are many used implements out there still for these sized tractor. Definetely get a front loader no matter what. These tractor should run in the $4000-$8000 range. Even if they needed a professional engine rebuild, they are great tractors.

I would make a list of manufacturers and models that you are interested in, read up on them all you can so you are ready to move on one if you see it listed somewhere.

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #24  
Take a ride around 5 or 10 miles out from your new place and watch for the brand of tractors you see the farmers using. what you see the most of is what brand you want to buy.
What you have found is the best dealer in the area that has taken care of their needs the best.
All the tractors are pretty good anymore, But there is a big difference in dealers and service.
Good Luck
I think you need approx 60 hp with loader and possably 4 wheel drive. cat 2 quick hitch.

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #25  
Was in a similar situation about a year and a half ago. Needed to get a tractor to care for my childhood home horse farm, about 13 acres, a bit hilly in NY. Guy who brush hogged the place recommended at least 40 hp. Picked up a Ford 3000 about 48 years old off CL for about $4000 with an FEL. It has I think about 49 hp and 40 hp off the PTO (diesel) and I was concerned at first that it was a bit high in hp, that it was old, and only 2WD - and I am pretty much a newbie about this stuff. I paired it with a 6 foot Mott flail mower and a 6 foot box blade (also found on CL) and I have to say the work that I have been able to do with it is incredible. The property, which was pretty run down, needed better pasture management, so I thought the primary task would be mowing. A year and a half later the grass looks better than it ever has. I discovered all kinds of additional uses for the equipment - removing old fencing, disposing of manure, lifting junk onto the truck to get to the dump, preparing brush fires for burning, yanking out multiflora bushes by the roots (a particular scourge here). The box blade is fantastic for reconditioning old fence line, smoothing the gravel driveway, and taking the teeth out I was able to plow out the barn this winter of about three feet of snow. My total investment so far

I think you found the sweet spot for many and just goes to show how much one can get and do with a $10K equipment investment. The go part is if you needed to sell you would not take a beating.

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #26  
I'd go minimum 40HP and minimum weight of 3500lbs. Then I'd stick with my current lawn mower or buy another cheap one. Real hard to have a lawn mower and a work tractor in the same skin.

As someone mentioned, go to www.tractorhouse.com and look around. You'll get an education on used equipment values as well as what's available in new equipment. Great place to educate yourself on attachment costs as well.

I'll put on my Genie hat and get out my crystal ball...... If you buy a SCUT tractor such as a 1000 series Deere or BX Kubota you'll be on here complaining about having too small of tractor within a year. "See my first remarks". :)

+1 Well said; Because of the cost factor I'm sure you will end up using round bales over small squares. I prefer a full size utility in 40-50 hp over a CUT in the same HP range, for moving, and stacking hay. You may be limited to a gear trans, where the CUT may offer a hydro. I also prefer gear, and the utility was cheaper than the CUT.

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres
Been doing some reading, looks like the Mahindra units are pretty beefy for the price. Not too many reviews though. For a small compact, the Max 28 seems pretty powerful and capable, and both the 3535 or 4025 4WD seem reasonable too if I want to go larger. The basic simplicity of the 4025 I find appealing, less stuff to break. Sure, something like a 3720 with all the bells and whistles looks great, but for the money and considering I'm not spending my working week on the seat for a living, do I NEED that kind of stuff? The 4025 appears pretty stout with plenty of loader capacity (way more than any JD in the price range), lifting capacity, and implements for anything I could conceivably do, giving me room to grow into. It's really really heavy though, should I be worrying about turf damage or soil compaction with that much weight (almost 5000 lbs, tractor only)? I realize you need weight to do bigger chores, but is it overkill (i.e. under powered for its weight)? How about the transmission, will I find a constant mesh difficult or frustrating to use on a regular basis?

Basic idea from the group seems to be that while I could technically, get by with a SCUT, everything will take longer. Makes sense to me. I'm looking to find a good balance between not being frustrated with chores and not spending too much money to shave 10% time off the job (which would matter under other circumstances, but I'm just a regular homeowner with some time to burn). I guess ideally I will come across a great deal on a used model with implements and attachments included, use it for a few years and find out what I like and what I'm limited by, then buy something that addresses those weaknesses. Here's hoping!

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #28  
Sounds like a good plan. While I lean to old iron for a great cost/performance ratio I grew up with it and know how to get what I expect from it. Some shops will not have techs very experience with old tractors not made in years or have dealerships any longer.

Parts and service are the most important when buying machines. They all break from time to time. Finding hidden stumps, holes, etc can make the time to time come more often. :)

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #29  
The 4025 specs out great for its price point. A tractor that size will compact the soil some but I run much larger tractors all over my place and expect for my tractor roads you can't really tell the difference.

As for the transmission I believe the next step up in the utility line offers a forward/reverse shuttle trans which is for sure nicer to operate. Is it needed? Not really. There are guys around my place that are still farming hundreds of acres and raising hundreds of cows with constant mesh transmissions like that one.

That tractor is low on power for its weight compared to most of the other tractors built today but it will certainly do any of the tasks you need it to do. Plenty of power and traction for six foot implements and more importantly the weight to do your tasks safely. Load the rear tires and slap a loader on that machine and it will easily handle any job you need to do. The reality of it is none of the tasks you're going to do are going to require big hp but the weight is helpful when traction is needed and for stability doing loader work.

Like I said I would recommend going for a tractor at least 5000 pounds operating weight (this one will well exceed that after adding the loader) It really does help if you're going to be handling big bales. I really like my TN75D with the power shuttle for doing the types of chores you described. Not for the HP because truthfully I rarely run it at full power (I have other bigger tractors for that kind of stuff) but because the weight makes it a very stable platform and provides good traction. I'll admit to the power shuttle makes me prefer it even to my TD5050 which is ten years newer and has far fewer hours.