Tractor Sizing Utility Tractor for 21 acres

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #31  
I guess ideally I will come across a great deal on a used model with implements and attachments included, use it for a few years and find out what I like and what I'm limited by, then buy something that addresses those weaknesses. Here's hoping!

Nailed it! :thumbsup:

I would never recommend buying your first tractor brand new, unless you really don't care about losing money down the road. You can read until your blue in the face about what tractor to buy, but until you really get out there and put some seat time in, do some jobs, work the tractor, figure out your preferences etc, you really won't know what aspects and features you find that you want/need. It is very rare for someone to purchase a brand new tractor for their first tractor, and end up owning the "perfect" tractor right off the bat. :D

Implements lose a certain amount of value right off the showroom floor, just like anything else, but then they quickly stabilize and unless they are beat to death, really don't lose much value over time. If you can find a "package" deal you will save even more.

The nice thing about buying a used tractor (it doesn't have to be 40 yrs old with 6,000 hrs on it either) is that you can figure out what you want in the tractor and what you can expect with a larger/smaller machine. Then, when you really know what you want, you can sell it for what you paid for it (or pretty close) and go buy that brand new machine!
Not to mention you'll have money left over for implements! :thumbsup:

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #32  
<snip>
Not to mention you'll have money left over for implements! :thumbsup:

This can be one of the MOST important things. Unless you have only 1 task you are going to need implements. When I started on my "40 HP" quest the wife and I set a budget of $15K for the tractor. Since the purchase price was $11.5K she allowed I had $3.5K left over.

Chipper - 1.7K
Plow - .5K
Tiller - .8K
Pallet forks = .2K

I think I've gotten a lot of functionality out of the implements in just 3 months.

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres
How hard is it to add HP to a tractor? Say for example, you are very satisfied with a tractor's performance and capabilities, but would just like a little more power driving the PTO for mowing or whatever. For an automobile, aftermarket mods to bump up HP are very common, from easy cheap things like a cold-air intake to more complicated things like heads and camshafts. Does anybody do this to tractors?

Take for instance the Mahindra 4025 and 4525. Both have a 167 CI I4 engine. Engine power and PTO power are rated at the same 2300 and 2058 RPMs respectively, with 41/31 and 46/36 HP for the respective machines. Both have 19.5:1 compression ratio. My guess is it's the same engine, but with different components. The 4025 is available in 4WD, the 4525 comes in 2WD only. What if you were happy with the capabilities of the 4025 4WD over the higher HP of the 4525 2WD, but later on realize the need for a bit more oomph? Are you stuck? Besides transplanting an engine, are there common (or less common) ways of increasing HP? This one is a good example because cubic inches is cubic inches; if you make the intake, exhaust, cam, and fueling the same, you should get the same HP. Even if it costs some bucks to get a new heads and cam, it should be possible to make the tractor you want that nobody makes, a 4525 4WD.

I'm just curious about this because I've seen a few models from various manufactures available that appear to use the same engine, but offered in various states of tune. Don't people hot rod their tractors for more performance?

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #34  
jeepcoma,

While it is possible to increase horsepower, it is usually not advised. Unlike a car, tractors are designed to work hard, hour after hour, day after day. Increases can be had with just turning up the injector pump and adding a turbocharger. But, do not forget to increase the radiator size and add 250-500 of weights to be able to use that new power.

If you need more power, buy a bigger tractor and save yourself money and grief.

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #35  
The general consensus is that it's not worth it to add power. Like wolftree said, your better off selling it and buying a more powerful one. I'm sure there are some exceptions to the rule.

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #36  
How many of those Hot Rods run at 100% for hour after hour? None that I know of. Tractors are a whole different mentality vs cars. You need something with more oomph, best to buy something that comes OEM with that oomph. One of the reasons to buy the max HP in the class size of tractor that you are looking at.

Just my :2cents:

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #37  
You could do this, to add more HP; thCAFPDRUC.jpg

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #38  
You could do this, to add more HP; View attachment 322471

The ONLY viable way to add more horses, is to add more HORSES!:D

As a for instance it seems that now manufacturers of medium to large outboard engines are using the same block and vary only the metering of fuel and other tweaks to get more HP from a given engine. I have a 225HP Yamaha which is the same exact engine all the way to 300HP. Same weight, block etc. Only differences are factory mods and price mod- with 300HP bringing top $. This is again a weight to power issue, because on most outboard motor boats engine weight and size hanging off the transom are key factors to consider. Same weight and more HP comes at a premium, when buying, and when using fuel. 1-3 gallons per hour is a factor for some, and not so much for those with cubic $ to match their engine's HP!

Tractors are work horses, not race horses. Get the HP needed when you buy.

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #39  
Hmmmmmm,,,, I guess I'll take the "different path" with this HP discussion. :rolleyes:

In my case I have the M9540. TripleR has the M8540. There's no doubt in my mind that it's the same engine. I'm 99% sure it's the same Turbo. Where it gets a little hazy for me is, did they boost fuel pressure and volumn or did they add larger injectors or boost turbo pressure to get that power. I'm guessing larger injectors with a minor tweak of the fuel delivery. If so, then TripleR could buy M9540 Injectors and install them in his tractor and match my HP.

Would that harm the tractor in any way?? Nope. Would it shorten the life in any way?? Nope. I am 100% confident that Kubota believes their 95hp version will last every bit as long as the 85hp version.

So in answer to your question. I'd say yes, it's possible and feasible to add the 5hp you are talking about with no permanent damage to the lifespan of the tractor.

I'm sure it will immediately void your warranty. But if I'm buying a new tractor just because of it's warranty program, I'm buying the wrong tractor. I buy what I believe will be least likely to require warranty service. :)

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #40  
Richard,

I'd be surprised if it really is as simple as changing out the injectors. I imagine there is more to it than that. It seems easy to do but I have yet to see anyone accomplish it, let alone try. I remember a lot of discussions on the 5x40 grand L's and the 4x20 JD's about trying to add power. Maybe it's different on the M series though?

It seems like it wouldn't be hard to add power if a company came out with a programmer like on diesel trucks though.