Tractor Sizing Utility Tractor for 21 acres

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #41  
In my mind, changing parts that have been tested in an assembled manner and is available in a different model such as what ovrszd has listed is not Hot Rodding anything. So without the OP being more specific, adding HP is tough to be accurate if you're Hot Rodding or just changing you model of tractor to the same as a different model.

I'm pretty sure that there is a difference. Anyone ever see an 8N with a flat head V8? That was never offered from the factory that I know of, but I believe that there was a company that actually offered a kit to do just that. I have no idea if the tractor held up to the extra power or not, :confused3: but in my mind, that was Hot Rodding your tractor. ;)

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #42  
As a relatively new owner of a JD 2720 who has used the tractor extensively in the past few months doing things like excavating and moving soil and running a PTO chipper, I would recommend something at least in the 3000 family if going green. It just sounds to me like you'd be better off with a larger chassis than what I have. It has worked out well for me but I could see the need for something heavier for the kind of work you'll be doing.

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #43  
Richard,

I'd be surprised if it really is as simple as changing out the injectors. I imagine there is more to it than that. It seems easy to do but I have yet to see anyone accomplish it, let alone try. I remember a lot of discussions on the 5x40 grand L's and the 4x20 JD's about trying to add power. Maybe it's different on the M series though?

It seems like it wouldn't be hard to add power if a company came out with a programmer like on diesel trucks though.

I agree with the above statement about how easy it would be, or not, to just swap out injectors to get a 10HP boost. Being 99% sure is not the same as knowing the turbo and engine are the same. Same valves, head, porting, etc. Same fuel curve in the injection pump? Turbo boast and waste gate sized the same? The list goes on. But, hey if you want to swap out injectors to TripleR's machine, with his permission, to see if you're right, I'd be interested in the outcome and HP ratings on a dyno.:drool::eek:

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #44  
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but, I don't think the fuel system on my tractor is computer driven. It has a mechanical injector pump. I'm pretty sure Kubota got the extra 10hp with injectors and/or fuel pressure. In the scheme of things, it's only a 11% increase. Wouldn't take much to get that. I'm unsure of the Mahindra tractor line though. Considering their country of origin, I'd say they use a basic injector pump system as well. Unless you get into the Tier IV level engines, then all bets are off!!! :)

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #45  
In my mind, changing parts that have been tested in an assembled manner and is available in a different model such as what ovrszd has listed is not Hot Rodding anything. So without the OP being more specific, adding HP is tough to be accurate if you're Hot Rodding or just changing you model of tractor to the same as a different model.

I'm pretty sure that there is a difference. Anyone ever see an 8N with a flat head V8? That was never offered from the factory that I know of, but I believe that there was a company that actually offered a kit to do just that. I have no idea if the tractor held up to the extra power or not, :confused3: but in my mind, that was Hot Rodding your tractor. ;)

WOW BRIAN,,, that brought back memories, que Elvis Presley, or Johnny Cash, or one of the other singers starting out in the 50s/60s. :thumbsup:

I saw the 8N setup you are talking about around 1960. A local farmer did it. Not sure if he bought a kit or fabbed it all. Also in the same timeframe I saw a Massey Harris with a Dodge Mini Hemi V8. That thing would fly down the road!!! :cool:

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #46  
I agree with the above statement about how easy it would be, or not, to just swap out injectors to get a 10HP boost. Being 99% sure is not the same as knowing the turbo and engine are the same. Same valves, head, porting, etc. Same fuel curve in the injection pump? Turbo boast and waste gate sized the same? The list goes on. But, hey if you want to swap out injectors to TripleR's machine, with his permission, to see if you're right, I'd be interested in the outcome and HP ratings on a dyno.:drool::eek:

I consider TripleR a good friend..... But I don't see him letting me wrench on his tractor!!! ;)

/ Utility Tractor for 21 acres #47  
I bought a Mahindra 4025 4WD FEL in July 2012. We own a 30 acre horse farm in southern Kansas. I researched all of the tractors available and came to the conclusion that for the money the Mahindra was the best. Finish is OK but remember it is a tractor. I have had a couple of hose fitting leaks which were fixed by snugging up the fitting. I also bought a quick attach round bale spike and switch back and forth in a couple of minutes.
We move 1500 round bales to the horse lots and have been very happy with the size and power of the tractor. We did not want a shuttle shift because we felt it was just something else to break.
We paid around $20K and could not be more pleased. I have almost 50 hours so far.