Well… that was stupid…

/ Well… that was stupid… #81  
The two large companies I drove mixer for (Lafarge and Martin Marietta) had very comprehensive safety programs… one item both stressed was the “accident likelihood envelope”… which included new operators (1 to 3 years experience… no surprise there) and veteran drivers (over 20 years)…

complacency in any endeavor is not your friend…
Often referred to as a "bathtub curve", due to the shape of the probability curve. The same is used to demonstrate probability of failure of equipment, there always being high infant failures due to assembly or quality issues, and high end of life failures due to wear and aging, with a relatively low and constant probability of failure over the many years in-between.

/ Well… that was stupid… #82  
I had never broken a bone until 2019 (pinky toes on doors don't count). My left hand met a malfunctioning freight elevator door. Ouch! 😝
I have had two broken bones, both of my fibulas, the smaller bone in the calf. I broke the left one when I slipped on some ice in a ski lodge. The Ski Patrol EMT thought it was just sprained and I walked on it for six weeks until my next doctor's appointment, when he insisted on getting it X-rayed. It had broken, but was perfectly aligned and almost completely healed. The right one was broken when I slipped on a grassy slope in the rain, at a trucker friend's accident scene, going down to retrieve his personal effects out of his truck. That one required surgery to put in a plate and screws.

/ Well… that was stupid… #83  
I recently retired from a rewarding driving career… the most memorable being the last 25 years as a mixer jockey (concrete truck driver)…

Getting ready for retirement I spent considerable time researching “How not to get bored”… especially during the typically frigid Montana winters (not necessarily this year)… one suggestion i found, which stuck in my head, was to become “ruthlessly organized”… I jumped in with both feet, purchasing numerous black-and-yellow totes for all the random stuff in the garage… I wanted to get that stuff off my workbench/waist-level shelves/floor… I also purchased lumber to make shelves for the wasted space over my garage door…

so far so good, eh? well here comes STUPID…

As I was ripping a 2x4 on my somewhat antiquated table saw (read no safety guards whatsoever … you can see where this is going…) I managed, somehow, to get a finger where it didn’t belong… Julie was kind enough to drive me to the ER as I tried my best to keep from fainting…

Fast forward to the next day, in the surgical center, where the doc was hoping to reattach the severed tendon and nerves… and my luck continued to deteriorate… the damage was so extensive, I had the choice of a rigid, basically useless finger with no sensation or amputation… what a choice…

Getting back into the garage today, to begin cleaning up the mess I so abruptly left behind two days ago, I was greeted by the Ryobi… which, in my mind, had taken on a cartoonish, evil grin… two days ago I had already decided to sell the offending contraption… then, as I looked at my bandaged hand and contemplated life with a “stump”, I had an epiphany… I couldn’t, in good conscious, place Another DIY’er in harms way… it was past time for Ryobi’s retirement…

I’ve already come to the realization the table saw is just an inanimate object performing exactly as it was designed…that it was my own irresponsible behavior which caused my plight…

once things are healed, I’ll spend considerable, quality time in my garage… this time, disassembling the saw… nut-by-nut, bolt-by-bolt until it’s a harmless pile of recyclable pieces… unable to inflict any more damage…

…I might even get some resolution out of my stupidity…
If anybody asks, look em dead in the eye and say it quietly: "yakuza".

/ Well… that was stupid… #84  
Over the years my wife has driven me to the ER so many times. Here's a good one. I decided to put a Briggs motor on a bicycle. Top speed was about 65 mph...insane on a flimsy bicycle & no helmet. I had an ignition toggle switch for a "Jake brake".
First trial run I had the side cover off, started it, it was idling and I had a flat blade 6" shaft screwdriver I was going to adjust the carburetor with. BOOM! The screwdriver shaft hit the spinning flywheel fins which drove screwdriver into my right eye .
I shut motor off & pulled screwdriver out. Closed my good eye and looked at the sun. I was blind except sun I could see what looked like a purple curtain. I went to house "well...I did it now!" I said to wife. She grabbed a towel, drove me 80 mph to hospital flashers on, me holding a bloody towel over eye.
X-ray showed screwdriver went into my brain. (That's what's wrong with me ) Doctors asked why I pulled it out? Just a reaction. All they could do was sew up the eyelid, sent me home with an eyepatch and pain meds. The screwdriver went through lid at top, rolling eyeball back.
Looking at it next day it was horrible, red and iris wasn't there. I went to a local eye center to be checked out and given drops of some sort. Then checking every few days the white part appeared, then after a few weeks something below which was the iris. Day by day the iris slowly moved around until finally it was back! Vision was blurry at first but cleared up! Back at the eye center they called me "the miracle guy". I'm 71, no cataracts and they said 20-20 vision. I do use reading glasses for close work, although I can read normal print ok.
Holy SH*T, that's insane!

/ Well… that was stupid… #85  
I thought the Briggs motorized bicycle I set up was pretty ingenious. I fabricated a steel mount over rear wheel, removing about 6" of fender at the top. Bike was a 60's Sears 3 speed with caliper brakes.
Plate was hinged with a lever on it and I had a wide billet aluminum pulley that fit the horizontal motor shaft perfectly, even had a key way. Start the motor, pedal bike a bit and lower spinning pulley onto top of tire. I used right handlebar grip with cable for the throttle. Kill switch close by was a Jake brake since caliper brakes didn't do much.
The next evening after I was released from the hospital I took it out for it's maiden voyage...eyepatch and all . I had calculated the speed and had my neighbor follow me in his car to check the speed.
I had a 2D cell headlight with a horn on handlebars.
Once out on the main road there was a long flat stretch and I opened it up. My neighbor said at that point he clocked me at 65. I passed some guy on a moped and two old ladies in a Mercury...their expression was priceless. I then made a left turn onto our secondary road giving a hand signal and luckily missed a large dog.
Back on our road the last mile went pretty quick and using Jake brake, calipers and dragging both feet barely made the turn up our driveway. I stopped at the garage where the bicycle fell apart. Literally. The pulley on tire worked but the big rubber band spoke protector was outside the tire. The handlebars fell off and I guess from the vibration basically all the nuts and screws had loosened. Both the old tires were shot.
I often think about how lucky I was to make it back home in one piece.
I see you take the "hold my beer" thing quite seriously!

/ Well… that was stupid… #86  
Fuddyduddy has posted so many hilarious things, it's hard to remember them all. But someday, hopefully many years/decades from now, this is the one we'll be posting in his obituary.

/ Well… that was stupid… #88  
Fuddyduddy has posted so many hilarious things, it's hard to remember them all. But someday, hopefully many years/decades from now, this is the one we'll be posting in his obituary.
Honestly, I thought getting a screwdriver in the eye and then pulling it out was hard to beat, but then next day he's hauling azz @ 65mph on a bicycle lol!! Fuddy, you're fookin legend, this is gonna be 2 tales I'm gonna be sharing with my drinking buddies.

Also, this can't be it, where there's smoke there's fire so I'm sure you done other crazy ****, so the question is...how are you still alive? :ROFLMAO::unsure: