What do you drive for a truck?

/ What do you drive for a truck? #231  
Buy what you want. We still live in a semi-free country, so do it while it’s still legal.

What I get a chuckle out of is someone who trashes another brand for really questionable reasons.

Vehicles and their quality change.
I remember when BMW was a poor reliability car, albeit fun to drive.
Now they get excellent reliability ratings.

Have you owned a BMW or Mercedes?
Some mechanics on Utube that work on these cars don't recommend German cars after about 2005.
High tech plastic sensors and plastic intake manifolds and plastic water pump impellers.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #232  
How are they now? Last year and this year. 2500 gas? Diesel?

I hear conflicting reviews and not sure what to think.
We've had about 10 since 2010, currently two 3500 diesels.

One '14 2500 had a poorly set up rear diff, and my '17 3500 had a lot of crap in the rear diff, but other than that they've been fine. Build quality tends to be superior to the domestically produced 1500s.

This includes one 5.7, three 6.4s, and the rest Cummins. The newest is a '23 3500 diesel.

Stopped getting 2500s about six years ago, partially because of the minimal price difference, partially because of the artificially low GVWR.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #233  
Over the years I owned many brands of Pickups and SUV's from International, Jeep, Dodge n RAM, Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota (FJ40), and even Suzuki. They have all had there good points and bad. Presently my last few have been Dodge/RAM mainly because with the options I wanted the RAM or Dodge came in at a better price.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #235  
We've had about 10 since 2010, currently two 3500 diesels.

One '14 2500 had a poorly set up rear diff, and my '17 3500 had a lot of crap in the rear diff, but other than that they've been fine. Build quality tends to be superior to the domestically produced 1500s.

This includes one 5.7, three 6.4s, and the rest Cummins. The newest is a '23 3500 diesel.

Stopped getting 2500s about six years ago, partially because of the minimal price difference, partially because of the artificially low GVWR.
The low GVWR is from being 4 link spring rear suspension. I would not buy a pick up truck for hauling or towing, that wasn’t leaf spring. They are not supposed to ride nice unloaded…

/ What do you drive for a truck? #236  
The low GVWR is from being 4 link spring rear suspension. I would not buy a pick up truck for hauling or towing, that wasn’t leaf spring. They are not supposed to ride nice unloaded…
Well, the 10,000 lb. GVWR isn't because of the suspension. It's a legality thing.

Especially with the optional air suspension they ride very nice, and the axles etc. are the same as on a 3500.

And what's your opinion on the 3500s with air suspension? The leaf spring portion on those is really only there to locate the axle, not to support any load to speak of.

Also, maybe it's not supposed to, but my leaf sprung cab and chassis does ride quite well. Even without a trailer in tow, which is very rare.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #237  
I don’t notice a lot of Ram transmis
The 5.3 used to be a very good engine, the latest iterations are not as great. As for the Ford/ GM collaboration, the 10R80 they made was based on the very reliable Ford 6R80 six speed. GM struggled for several years prior to build a good transmission for their 1500’s. Even the Allison in the HD’s are nothing like the Allison’s of the past.

Oh yeah? Show us how they aren't as good….

/ What do you drive for a truck? #238  
Have you owned a BMW or Mercedes?
Some mechanics on Utube that work on these cars don't recommend German cars after about 2005.
High tech plastic sensors and plastic intake manifolds and plastic water pump impellers.

Yes, I own a BMX X5 4.0L since 2020. Bought brand new. 80,000 miles and not one repair. It’s exceeded my expectations and is very fun to drive.

As far as using plastic, look at any new vehicle today. Plastic is used extensively.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #239  
120,000 miles from an employee “driven” (probably beaten to death) actually isn’t too bad
That's quite a stereotype. It's also wrong. We get a new truck every 3 years. We are expected to treat it like it's ours. The comptroller keeps careful track of how much each truck costs: if somebody is over the average he starts asking why

A few years ago he stopped buying GM and is only buying Toyotas, as they are a lot less money to run.
It also means we are going 4 years rather than 3 before trading.
That hardly means the transmission is a piece of junk, right? I could put the wrong transmission fluid in a perfectly good transmission and ruin it too, right?
You could put the wrong fluid in a Allison 3500RDS and it would ruin it. Does that make it a bad transmission? lo
If the manufacturer puts the wrong fluid in at the factory they shouldn't expect the consumer to pay for it. If a wiring harness is a known problem, they should come good on it.

I bought the truck knowing that it would need a transmission before 130k miles.
A thousand bucks for a wiring harness which is a known problem is a bit ridiculous... and I still have to save for new one. When I lost the tranny in my last company truck the garage had a dozen trucks waiting for a new one; some had been their for two months, they were that backlogged waiting for parts.

You are likely right about the Allisons; from everything I've heard they are tough as nails. They aren't in half tons.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #240  
Yes, I own a BMX X5 4.0L since 2020. Bought brand new. 80,000 miles and not one repair. It’s exceeded my expectations and is very fun to drive.

As far as using plastic, look at any new vehicle today. Plastic is used extensively.

What did you pay for your new BMW?