What do you drive for a truck?

/ What do you drive for a truck? #241  
Several of our Docs love BMW and continue buying them new or leasing.

What they don’t do is keep out of warranty…

/ What do you drive for a truck? #242  
09 F250 Super Duty/ 5.4 V8. 193,000 miles on it, just general engine and trans maintenance. Still starts and runs like a new one. Bought it new for $22K. I know a lot of people don't like the 5.4, but I have never had an issue with it. It's not a race truck, it doesn't get good fuel mileage, but it starts and runs in any weather and any temps and pulls like a team of mules.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #243  
What did you pay for your new BMW?
Mid 60’s I think. Honestly, it’s my wifes buggy. I only drive it a few times a month.

1710469649233.jpeg

/ What do you drive for a truck? #244  
That's quite a stereotype. It's also wrong. We get a new truck every 3 years. We are expected to treat it like it's ours. The comptroller keeps careful track of how much each truck costs: if somebody is over the average he starts asking why

A few years ago he stopped buying GM and is only buying Toyotas, as they are a lot less money to run.
It also means we are going 4 years rather than 3 before trading.

If the manufacturer puts the wrong fluid in at the factory they shouldn't expect the consumer to pay for it. If a wiring harness is a known problem, they should come good on it.

I bought the truck knowing that it would need a transmission before 130k miles.
A thousand bucks for a wiring harness which is a known problem is a bit ridiculous... and I still have to save for new one. When I lost the tranny in my last company truck the garage had a dozen trucks waiting for a new one; some had been their for two months, they were that backlogged waiting for parts.

You are likely right about the Allisons; from everything I've heard they are tough as nails. They aren't in half tons.

You’re ducking the question.
I asked you if a transmission is filled with the WRONG FLUID, and it fails, does that mean the transmission is junk? Because that’s what you said.
Does it also in your logic, mean ALL GM transmissions are junk? lol
I’ll wait for your reasoning on this one….

Last edited:
   / What do you drive for a truck? #245  
You’re ducking the question.
I asked you if a transmission is filled with the WRONG FLUID, and it fails, does that mean the transmission is junk? Because that’s what you said.
Does it also in your logic, mean ALL GM transmissions are junk? lol
I’ll wait for your reasoning on this one….
I did not duck the question. That was over and above the problems they have with these transmissions. You, on the other hand are arguing that because the Allison in heavier trucks are solid, that means all of them are.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #246  
Actually no, your deflection won't work.
GM has made plenty of other well regarded transmissions.
You otoh, said GM transmissions were junk because yours was filled with the wrong fluid

/ What do you drive for a truck? #247  
Actually no, your deflection won't work.
GM has made plenty of other well regarded transmissions.
You otoh, said GM transmissions were junk because yours was filled with the wrong fluid
No, actually I said they were junk because I have seen so many replaced. 130k miles is about max.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #248  
Just jumping into the middle of a disagreement... I have a '97 Chevy C1500 with 140K. Transmission failures is a known problem for that particular pickup, at around 50K miles. I had mine flushed and new fluid put in at 50K, and have never had one minute of trouble out of it. I was advised though, to change it again at 100K, but I've failed to do so. (Don't mistake that statement to imply that I've had "no" trouble out of the old Chevy. I think I've had every problem ever listed in their Tech. Svc. Bulletins :) But engine (5.7L) and drivetrain have been flawless. Yet, I love that old truck.

No question about the reliability of the Toyota. I'm looking for a 'new' used truck to replace the old '97, just because it's getting old. But mainly because the Misses said "Get a newer truck!". Nuff said? I'd like to go with a mid-size, and really would like to go with a Toyota Tocoma. But, they're no Toyota Tocoma's, even with their TRD package, that will pul my 20' trailer and small tractor, which comes in at 7,000# total gross. Max listed is 6,800# and one should experience trans overheating and engine straining it's guts out. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

So, with the towing restriction, I'm pretty much set on Ford or Chevy half-ton. Ram's out due to the bad current ratings. No flames please - I've owned all three brands. And I've worked on Tundra's enough to know I don't want to own one. They're hard to work on...

Interesting info on this thread. I'll be watching it.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #249  
Between GM and Ford, that's tough. I much prefer the engine lineup in the Ford, I'm wary of the 10 speed transmissions in both, but Ford has had a number of quality control issues lately.

Still, have fun, I love truck shopping lol.