What do you drive for a truck?

/ What do you drive for a truck? #261  
Just jumping into the middle of a disagreement... I have a '97 Chevy C1500 with 140K. Transmission failures is a known problem for that particular pickup, at around 50K miles. I had mine flushed and new fluid put in at 50K, and have never had one minute of trouble out of it. I was advised though, to change it again at 100K, but I've failed to do so. (Don't mistake that statement to imply that I've had "no" trouble out of the old Chevy. I think I've had every problem ever listed in their Tech. Svc. Bulletins :) But engine (5.7L) and drivetrain have been flawless. Yet, I love that old truck.

No question about the reliability of the Toyota. I'm looking for a 'new' used truck to replace the old '97, just because it's getting old. But mainly because the Misses said "Get a newer truck!". Nuff said? I'd like to go with a mid-size, and really would like to go with a Toyota Tocoma. But, they're no Toyota Tocoma's, even with their TRD package, that will pul my 20' trailer and small tractor, which comes in at 7,000# total gross. Max listed is 6,800# and one should experience trans overheating and engine straining it's guts out. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

So, with the towing restriction, I'm pretty much set on Ford or Chevy half-ton. Ram's out due to the bad current ratings. No flames please - I've owned all three brands. And I've worked on Tundra's enough to know I don't want to own one. They're hard to work on...

Interesting info on this thread. I'll be watching it.

Something weak in the new 4x4 Tacoma maybe the sliding front axle engagement collar.

TFL truck barely pushed it on an icy hill and the thing popped, loosing front drive.

The Chevy they were also testing had to give the Toyota a pull so they could limp it back to the dealer for repairs. The Toyota also overheated it's transmission while towing in the winter conditions.

Last edited:
   / What do you drive for a truck? #262  
My employer used to buy GM products, for a fleet of about 50 pickups. We've gone to Tundras as the comptroller says they cost less to run. We also used to trade every 3 years/100k miles, now we are going 4 years.

Have they purchased any of the new Tundras? I'm wondering how they compare to the last generation; they just look like toys next to the previous Tundra. It's also a shame they dropped their 5.7, I have heard nothing but good things about that V8.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #263  
If you're really brave, there are unsold Ram Ecodiesels for upwards of $20K off of MSRP.

Some claim 30 mpg with those. Of course, if trying to tow anything, like with most any 1/2-ton, then the mileage tanks. No pun intended.

Not as badly as with an Ecoboost maybe, but it goes way down.
Where??

/ What do you drive for a truck? #264  
If you're really brave, there are unsold Ram Ecodiesels for upwards of $20K off of MSRP.

Some claim 30 mpg with those. Of course, if trying to tow anything, like with most any 1/2-ton, then the mileage tanks. No pun intended.

Not as badly as with an Ecoboost maybe, but it goes way down.
Once you strip the almost 200 lbs of EPA stuff; are there any other major issues with the Ecodiesel? My understanding was the source of pretty much every catastrophic problem with them originated with the EPA stuff, that can just be removed

/ What do you drive for a truck? #265  
Have they purchased any of the new Tundras? I'm wondering how they compare to the last generation; they just look like toys next to the previous Tundra. It's also a shame they dropped their 5.7, I have heard nothing but good things about that V8.
We have a couple of the newer trucks.
They dont stack up to the older models.
Way too much reliance on the touch screens and they have nothing on the front end to hook onto if you get stuck, and there's a big plastic front which gets pulled off when you hook on to the frame. For some interesting reading on the subject check out the Tundra forums.
The Tacomas are now only offered with a 4 cylinder. I am thinking about getting a Frontier just to keep with a V6, even though I would prefer to keep what I have for a few more years.

They almost are pushing people into the heavier trucks... 3/4 ton or bigger.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #266  
Company is buying several of the Ford Maverick AWDs, to replace (as needed) a fleet of mixed Explorers, F150s, and C1500s. Guys where making fun of them, and they do look a bit silly, but sitting in one, I thought it was fairly roomy for such a small vehicle.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #267  
Tundra. It's also a shame they dropped their 5.7, I have heard nothing but good things about that V8.
That's the very reason I intend to keep the one I have even though I was drooling over one of the latest 1794's I recently saw out.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #268  
My employer used to buy GM products, for a fleet of about 50 pickups. We've gone to Tundras as the comptroller says they cost less to run. We also used to trade every 3 years/100k miles, now we are going 4 years.

Good luck with that. Can't speak for the new ones, but the '08 I had for a company truck at my last job seemed to spend more time in the shop than it did on the road.
I’ve never been a fan of the mid sized truck. If they got 30 mpg I’d get it but they don’t seem to get that much better than a full sized.
I dunno. I've had a couple Dakotas and they're just the right size for me. Only towing I ever do is a 5x10 utility trailer, and it handles that just fine. Likewise for cargo capability. Don't really need something as huge as today's full-size trucks.
Agree that the gas mileage on the small trucks could be better, I get 17-18 with mine (4.7 V8).
They almost are pushing people into the heavier trucks... 3/4 ton or bigger.
Well, that's where the money is, at least for the Detroit 3. Japanese can't seem to make a full size truck that anyone wants, I read that Nissan is discontinuing theirs end of the model year.
Company is buying several of the Ford Maverick AWDs, to replace (as needed) a fleet of mixed Explorers, F150s, and C1500s. Guys where making fun of them, and they do look a bit silly, but sitting in one, I thought it was fairly roomy for such a small vehicle.
Kind of a step down I'd think. The Mavericks seem to be a great suburbanite truck, the modern day equivalent of the Ranchero or El Camino, but hardly a substitute for an F150. Of course, that depends on what your company does and uses them for. Might be perfectly adequate, and a lot better on gas.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #269  
company truck at my last job seemed to spend more time in the shop than it did on the road
You've mentioned that before. Funny how people have different luck with various vehicles. I wouldn't give two cents for a Dakota. I've been wondering what you did with that Tundra after the company signed it over to you. Did you get enough out of it to buy 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid? :unsure:

/ What do you drive for a truck? #270  
Looked on Auto Trader the other day, after seeing a new one at 15% off MSRP at my favorite dealer.

For a couple of hours I considered taking that one as a partial payment for the money they owe me, but quickly came to my senses (I have no idea what I'd do with one of those things).

Still, got me curious about what they sell for these days since someone I know is a rabid fan of those things, and the majority (and lowest prices) were back east.