What if?

/ What if? #31  
<font color="blue"> Hope my thoughts help. Frankly, I don't think you would be happy with any of the choices listed. </font>

EldoNixon,

You meant unhappy, right? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ What if? #33  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Seeing a backhoe before you buy 0 there's a neat concept!!)</font>

And my birthday is coming up in September, so my wife is actually buying me some dirt and renting a tractor for me for the weekend. She thinks it might be a good idea to really try one before I buy one. What a concept. I'm going to borrow a friends tiller and I miught even rent a few implements. She's going to London for the week, so it sounds like the ultimate 'guys weekend.' I can't wait. I know my neighbors (real farmers) will think I'm crazy. I have to rebury about 30' of invisible fence (it only has to go about 6" deep). Sounds like the perfect use for a backhoe...Maybe I'll plant some trees. But I'll probably just dig lots of holes just for the fun of it...in the name of research.

Seriously, I'm having a lot of trouble deciding how big a tractor to buy. I can measure and all, but I think that driving around my property will really be helpful.

Of course, now I have to decide which one to rent...

/ What if? #34  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have to rebury about 30' of invisible fence (it only has to go about 6" deep). )</font>

Let it not be said that you can't do EVERYTHING with a tractor, even if it WOULD be easier with a basic shovel /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif...

Sounds like a great plan!! Will you miss her? (your wife, i mean!)

/ What if? #35  
Eldo, Are you set on a brand? If you are you may want to rent at that dealer and get them to apply the rental towards the tractor you buy.

The dealer I work for lets you try the tractor and any implements you are interested in before you buy. He delivers them to your house no charge.

/ What if? #36  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sounds like a great plan!! Will you miss her? (your wife, i mean!) )</font>
Don't tell me you think I'd fall for that. Let's just say the tractor may help me pass the time. Actually I'm hoping that she'll miss me. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Unfortunately my local dealers don't do rentals, so I'll have to use a local rental company. But I figure its still cheaper than making a wrong choice. I'm going to have to rent something either larger (JD 4300 or NH 29TD) or smaller (BX22) than what I actually want to buy. I've never used a BH or tractor bigger than my L&G tractor, so I think that it will atleast allow me to put things in better perspective. I still have a few rental places to try though.

/ What if? #37  
If you have never run a BH it will take practice to get the feel of using one. I operated a Case 580 with case controls when I went to buy a small tractor BH combo with JD controls the dealer let me take it around back to check it out I tried for 10 minutes to dig a clump of sod out of the ground, I did get it knocked over. Don't judge the tractor in the first few hours or maybe days that you use it.