What is some of your Pet Peeve's

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,001  
I'm lucky in that neither of my kids are into gaming or wasting a lot of time on a screen. They'll use their phones and tablets to chat with classmates, or watch a few YouTube or Snapchat shorts, but that's about it.

Not sure what we did to be so lucky, other than my wife signing them up for so many online lessons that now they view those tablets more as work than fun. Keeping kids busy with online music, art, and language lessons (outschool.com) is basically what got us thru the COVID shutdowns with parental sanity intact, as my wife and I never stopped working during the many months the schools and summer camps were all closed.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,002  
I was working during the Superbowl and on break looked for the game.

Could not find anything online where I could watch live without an account or paying...

Just then I remembered the old CRT with VHS cassette TV I installed in the conference room in 1995... with a $20 Radio Shack rooftop antennae.

I grabbed the remote and nothing...

I opened the remote and found batteries stamped best by 2004.

Made a quick battery swap and bingo... live CBS Superbowl on the screen.. I could have even recorded with the built in VHS.

Boss told me to get rid of it last year if I had nothing to do... I might just take it home...

Sometimes you don't know what you have until it's gone.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,003  
Good for you Ultra, where there is a will there is a way...

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,004  
Could not find anything online where I could watch live without an account or paying...
Just then I remembered the old CRT with VHS cassette TV I installed in the conference room in 1995... with a $20 Radio Shack rooftop antennae.
Made a quick battery swap and bingo... live CBS Superbowl on the screen.. I could have even recorded with the built in VHS.
Boss told me to get rid of it last year if I had nothing to do... I might just take it home...

I finally got around to moving my old family VHS to digital. Once I'm done the VHS goes into the trash. I've gotten rid of literally a ton of books I've collected since I have Amazon Kindle Unlimited.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,005  
I finally got around to moving my old family VHS to digital. Once I'm done the VHS goes into the trash. I've gotten rid of literally a ton of books I've collected since I have Amazon Kindle Unlimited.
Players are getting harder to find. Don’t junk it. At least Craigslist it for free or you could probably get $80 for it

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,006  
I've kept one of each obsolete player. One turntable, one audio cassette player, one VHS player, one DVD/Blu-Ray player, etc. They're all in basement storage, but accessible if I need to pull one out and hook it up. You never know when you'll come across some old media you want to play or transfer to digital. I did finally junk dad's 1970'ish reel-to-reel player and our 3.5" and 5.25" floppy disk drives, about 12 years ago, though. :D

@tradosaurus, what hardware and software are you using to transfer VHS to digital, these days? I had a good setup 25 years ago (win95 - windows 2000), but it's obsolete, and I've recently come across more VHS tapes I'd like to convert.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,007  
Players are getting harder to find. Don’t junk it. At least Craigslist it for free or you could probably get $80 for it
I borrowed the VHS player from a guy at work. I could have bought one on Facebook marketplace for about $30.
When my wife and I pass away there won't be much left to make a worthwhile estate sale. 🤣

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,008  
I've kept one of each obsolete player. One turntable, one audio cassette player, one VHS player, one DVD/Blu-Ray player, etc. They're all in basement storage, but accessible if I need to pull one out and hook it up. You never know when you'll come across some old media you want to play or transfer to digital. I did finally junk dad's 1970'ish reel-to-reel player and our 3.5" and 5.25" floppy disk drives, about 12 years ago, though. :D

@tradosaurus, what hardware and software are you using to transfer VHS to digital, these days? I had a good setup 25 years ago (win95 - windows 2000), but it's obsolete, and I've recently come across more VHS tapes I'd like to convert.
VHS to digital
Everything you need except for the VHS player.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,009  

Are you surprised? The NFL is so overprotective of that game they won't even let you use its name without paying. :mad:
What a great line for a song! Somebody ought to write one! :LOL:

I hear ya though. Once tv went digital back in the 00s we lost all OTA reception here except for a neighboring state's PBS. Granted, what we had before was snowy, but at least it was something.
VHS to digital
Everything you need except for the VHS player.
How well does that work? I've tried video capture devices a couple times in the past and the results were quite lacking. They seemed to drop a LOT of frames, making for a jerky playback.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,010  

Had someone installed a digital-to-analog converter on the antenna line? I *think* all OTA TV signals are digital these days.

TVs are one area where I truly think newer is better. I recall paying $360 for a 19" TV in 1985. I could buy one today that is bigger and less expensive, with higher resolution and a better picture.