What is some of your Pet Peeve's

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,011  
Used the government voucher at Radio Shack for the digital converter… plug and play.

All the surgery wing TVs are Panasonic combo with VCR from Circuit City 1995.

Moms 1980 Zenith console bit the dust last week… power was out so don’t know if related?

Maybe someone can answer?

Several of the neighbors have already gone through 2 or 3 flat screens… I wonder how longevity compares?

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,012  
Used the government voucher at Radio Shack for the digital converter… plug and play.

Several of the neighbors have already gone through 2 or 3 flat screens… I wonder how longevity compares?
Tried a couple of those converters...no joy. Maybe OK in a strong signal area, but we're 100 mi+ from any tv market, with mountains in the way.

We're not big tv watchers, but I don't think we've had a flatscreen tv fail...the ones we replaced were because we got larger ones. As a kid, I seem to recall most tvs needing a new picture tube in only 4-5 years. Worked at a tv repair shop while in high school...we replaced a lot of them! Likewise the old CRT computer monitors never seemed to last very long either.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,013  
TVs are one area where I truly think newer is better. I recall paying $360 for a 19" TV in 1985. I could buy one today that is bigger and less expensive, with higher resolution and a better picture.
There was a saying for many decades, that living room televisions have and always will cost $700, it's just what you get for $700 that keeps changing.

Of course, the value of $700 has also changed quite a bit, since the 1960's.

Last edited:
   / What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,014  

All the surgery wing TVs are Panasonic combo with VCR from Circuit City 1995.

Moms 1980 Zenith console bit the dust last week… power was out so don’t know if related?

Maybe someone can answer?

I don't have solid data, but my gut feel is that the old TVs lasted longer.

I replaced a couple of flat screens because the damn cat peed on the screen. With an old TV, you'd get the Windex and clean it. The new screens can be destroyed just by spraying liquid on them.

I lost a couple due to power surges, and I've had good luck since I started using good quality surge protectors for all my electronics.

I lost one because my nephew knocked it over (a problem we didn't have with the old behemoth models).

OTOH, $85 can buy a 32" TV, and the picture quality is WAY better than anything from the olden days. It doesn't take too long to feel like I got my money's worth.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,015  
Zenith... the quality goes in before the name goes on...

Kind of sad because it was a big deal December 1980 when we got together to surprise dad with that TV and VCR with remote and he really enjoyed his TV...

Id turn it on just for memories at times now they are both gone.

As sound but no picture...

We bought it for dad to replace the old Zenith dad bought in 1964... still worked but tube was going out and the tuner was a little finicky.

Dad said that TV was the best present he ever got and was a little embarrassed about it...

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,016  

Kind of sad because it was a big deal December 1980 when we got together to surprise dad with that TV and VCR with remote and he really enjoyed his TV...

We bought it for dad to replace the old Zenith dad bought in 1964... still worked but tube was going out and the tuner was a little finicky.

Dad said that TV was the best present he ever got and was a little embarrassed about it...
That must be something to live in a house with such a rich history of life memories. I hope that the fond memories far outweigh the sadness of what has been lost over the years.

My sister and I still own our childhood home, but it is rented out. I fully loaded up my crew cab truck and two-horse trailer with things from that house. Everything that someone didn't take went to auction, and I couldn't have watched that process.

I haven't been back inside since the contents were removed. I'd rather see the outside, which basically still looks the same.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,017  
Call me sentimental but I offered the appraised price as-is and we will see.

Part of me just not ready to deal with it.

I'm there everyday check the mail, etc. and aside from me mom's friend who came to help still has her key... she is there a few times a month and we reminisce and helps care for elderly in her family and this is a midpoint.

Other than the two of us no one has set foot there since May last year except the appraiser.

The day mom passed I heard you are going to have a job clearing everything out...

All in due time...

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,018  
My sister and I still own our childhood home, but it is rented out. I fully loaded up my crew cab truck and two-horse trailer with things from that house. Everything that someone didn't take went to auction, and I couldn't have watched that process.

I haven't been back inside since the contents were removed. I'd rather see the outside, which basically still looks the same.
Not really the sentimental type myself. My sisters and I are in the process of selling our family home. To us it's just an empty building that we just happened to have grown up in. Not many happy memories of living there, and my parents did a lot of remodeling after my siblings and I left.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,019  

Wish I was there...I could fix it.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #1,020  
Me too... dads friend had the same model and one day no picture... turned out it was one thumb nail component... maybe a transistor...?

Wish I was there...I could fix it.