What use is the clutch with HST?

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #11  
I am by no means an expert, but perhaps the safety thing is the key.

Unlike a car, there is no Park on a HST tractor. So, without a clutch you would always have to be sure to start in nuetral or you could be in for a suprise.

MoKelly

On my BXs there is no clutch .
To start the BX you have to put it in neutral which automatically releases the brake and makes for a real pucker factor on a hill.
ALL HST Tractors ought to have a park position .

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #12  
My Deere 4300 has brakes...both pedal and park, as well as left/right wheel brakes (accessible on the left side away from the forward reverse pedals). Very usable that way.
And the tractor starts in "range" settings L, M, H.

To the OP... Kubota seemed to adapt the HST to their gear tractors, and kept the clutch as well as the right/left individual brake pedals on the right side where they can't be used easily at the same time as forward/reverse HST pedal. I would assume eventually they make the tractors without clutch and brake pedals accessible.

LBrown59
Something doesn't seem right with having to have any pucker factor when starting a tractor on a hill. No park (emergency) brake to set?

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #13  
If the pump for the HST is after the clutch they might have done that to take the load off the engine in cold weather starting,also if you were working the tractor and linkage got hung up for some reason,stick ,debris etc it's quick way to get a bad situation under control I can hit the clutch faster than shutting the key off.
Kubota made it that way for a reason,you don't put something on a machine you don't need $$$$$$

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #14  
Is the clutch used on the HST to disengage engine from rear wheels to allow tractor to free wheel? I thought it was kinda like putting a cars automatic transmission in neutral.

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #15  
Different models vary, no doubt, but on my B2320, I must use the clutch to shift ranges, or it'll grind if I forget.

I also use it with PTO changes and 4x4. Although, I think I need to use it only for one of them, but cannot remember which.:D:D

I have a B2320 and never have had to use clutch to shift ranges and with no grinding. I do have to use it for PTO or I get grind. 4x4 sometimes just to get it to go into 4x4. Sometimes not.

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #16  
I have a B2320 and never have had to use clutch to shift ranges and with no grinding. I do have to use it for PTO or I get grind. 4x4 sometimes just to get it to go into 4x4. Sometimes not.

The manual for the B2320 plainly states that the clutch must be used when changing ranges and when engaging FWD. This thread caused me to re-read that section.

No doubt, if it syncs up without the clutch, that's fine. But to avoid that awful grinding sound, I gotta use the clutch. Coming off a BX, I have to force myself to remember.

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #17  
The manual for the B2320 plainly states that the clutch must be used when changing ranges and when engaging FWD.

Could ya tell me on what page that may be found ? I 'd like to check it out. The manual is a bit unorganized as you may have noticed. Thanks !

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #18  
I like to step on the clutch sometimes just to hear the unadulterated sound of the diesel engine purring without the noises of the hydro.

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #20  
Sometimes I go by the manual and sometimes I don't.