What use is the clutch with HST?

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #41  
I know you can, but its a lot faster to disengage with the foot clutch. Maybe a mechanic can answer this as well. Does the PTO engage lever engage a clutche(s)? Is it a small clutch(s)? When engaging my flail mower, I have used the PTO lever to engage my flail mower but the foot clutch is so much more precise in feathering it into rotation and without a doubt, much faster to disengage when in driving posture.

I can do the same thing with the PTO lever on my L5030 or M8540 or even BX2660.

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #42  
1*The park brake won't hold it on a hill if the trans is in
neutral.

Maybe on your tractor, but my brake holds just fine, in any gear (or none). In fact that seems to be a fact of life with Hydros - ALWAYS set the brake as they will roll. My land is very steep, so I have gotten to the point where I always set the brake when stopping and getting off. Routine now.

You might want to look into adjusting your brake. I found mine has a few "clicks" in it when pressing the parking brake pedal. If I stop at the first click, it will roll on steeper slopes, but if I go to 2 or 3, it holds tight.

Last edited:
   / What use is the clutch with HST? #43  
I know you can, but its a lot faster to disengage with the foot clutch. Maybe a mechanic can answer this as well. Does the PTO engage lever engage a clutche(s)? Is it a small clutch(s)? When engaging my flail mower, I have used the PTO lever to engage my flail mower but the foot clutch is so much more precise in feathering it into rotation and without a doubt, much faster to disengage when in driving posture.

I guess it depends on the individual. My L5030 is the only tractor of six I drive on which the clutch disengages the PTO, so it just doesn't come natural to me. If I have to stop to think what tractor I am on, that will slow my reaction time. I will often climb off of one tractor and onto another several times in one day.

Our old Fords use the clutch with the PTO engagement way under the seat, but I haven't driven one of them in years.

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #44  

The PTO lever operates a hydraulic valve that compresses a clutch pack on the L4400 Kubota. I think it is that way on most of the CUT range of Kubota tractors. The newest Grand L Kubotas have a solenoid valve the operates the clutch pack.

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #45  
That was my first question....a clutch for the hydrostatic...the intellipanel on the 5740 told me I had to push it in to start it....(take the hydrostatic load off the engine to start???)
After about 30 hours on the machine I had a situation where I had to come to a stop quickly and for this gray haired fellow it was "automatic" to hit the clutch and go for the brake...which did in fact stop everything. I'm guessing that some fine engineer thought of their gray haired clients that grew up on nothing but a clutch tractor (except for the Minnie Moline drivers that used a hand clutch!)

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #46  
That was my first question....a clutch for the hydrostatic...the intellipanel on the 5740 told me I had to push it in to start it....(take the hydrostatic load off the engine to start???)
After about 30 hours on the machine I had a situation where I had to come to a stop quickly and for this gray haired fellow it was "automatic" to hit the clutch and go for the brake...which did in fact stop everything. I'm guessing that some fine engineer thought of their gray haired clients that grew up on nothing but a clutch tractor (except for the Minnie Moline drivers that used a hand clutch!)

That's where individual experience becomes the over riding factor. Pushing the clutch in on my M8540, Case, or Massey Ferguson has no affect on my PTO, so my automatic response is to hit the PTO lever.

I grew up on clutch tractors too, but for the last 20 years have operated tractors with mostly independent PTO's.

I am sure there is a mechanical advantage one way or he other, but I sure don't what it is.