What use is the clutch with HST?

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #21  
Noticed something new the other day about my clutchless JD 3032E. Parked uphill on a sloped concrete driveway in Low range and got off (I usually park in Low range and leave it in "gear" when I'm off it, don't always use the parking brake because I didn't think it would move in low gear with the engine off, just like a stick shift truck. Plus, 99% of the time I park on level or nearly level ground. But, as I now know, it WILL move. I heard a funny quiet little noise and looked back, and the tractor was very slowly inching backwards one quiet little "hiccup" at a time. I'm assuming the weight on the downslope was turning the engine crank via the HST, and overcoming the compression one piston at a time. It was weird to watch, moved about half an inch each time it happened.

I jumped back on and set the parking brake, which I will remember to use all the time now. Lesson learned.

When I was a teenager my father parked our "Argo" (one of those eight wheeled skid steered vehicle" with the parking brakes on above my car. A couple of hours later it came crashing down on my car's front hood. Turned out it had hydrlic brakes because you needed lots of braking power to "skid" it. The parking brakes just kept the normal brakes on. After being on for a couple of hours enough oil had leaked out to let 'er rip. Never hurts to block the wheels - If someone had been standing in between the two (very possible it was a family get together) there would have been disaster!

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #22  
Sure.

Clutch pg 21
Range Gear Shift pg 22
Front Wheel Drive Lever pg 23

Thanks !! Just checked it out not that I doubted. I just remember better if I read it. Guess I just get real lucky with sync on the range gear stuff 99 % of the time. Seems like I remember another B2320 owner here once say he didn 't need to use the clutch either ( can 't remember who ). I guess no harm if I don 't grind which I would never force. But, I 'm gonna try to remember to use clutch from now one.

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #23  
Thanks !! Just checked it out not that I doubted. I just remember better if I read it. Guess I just get real lucky with sync on the range gear stuff 99 % of the time. Seems like I remember another B2320 owner here once say he didn 't need to use the clutch either ( can 't remember who ). I guess no harm if I don 't grind which I would never force. But, I 'm gonna try to remember to use clutch from now one.

Ah, come on!! Sure you doubted, a little.:D:D:D

Yup, if it grinds, use the clutch. Hate that sound.

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #25  
I use mine for everything including when I get ready to open another cool one. LOL zman :D

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #26  
On my BXs there is no clutch .
To start the BX you have to put it in neutral which automatically releases the brake and makes for a real pucker factor on a hill.
ALL HST Tractors ought to have a park position .
My FIL's BX2660 will start with the brake down (it may even be required. Cant remember)

Aaron Z

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #27  
On the L3400, you need the clutch to start up, the tractor, and engage/disengage the PTO, I am not sure it it really needed to disengage the PTO, but I don't see how it hurts, I always let it out slowly to engage the PTO, kinda let her spin up slowly, at low rpm, like 1000 or so, then run the throttle up after full engagement. You do not need the clutch to change ranges, just be stopped and Hydro pedal in neutral position. I did not know that originally, someone here pointed it out to me, thanks! I started with Gear machines, so I will push the clutch in anytime there is a problem, like the front end coming up, I would push the clutch in by habit. Good or bad its an automatic response now. So all in all the clutch doesn't get used a whole lot here, the brakes dont either:). Tractor now has 53 hours, and both pedals look brand new. What is ironic, is the clutch on my L3400 is the easiest to push in clutch of any tractor I have ever owned, and I rarely use it:laughing:
James K0UA

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #28  
On my BXs there is no clutch .
To start the BX you have to put it in neutral which automatically releases the brake and makes for a real pucker factor on a hill.
ALL HST Tractors ought to have a park position .

is that right?! That doesnt make sense. On my BX, the parking brake is completely mechanical and shifting the hi/lo selector shouldn't release the "brake" . After all, shifting to neutral like ytou said, does allow the tires to be freely turned, it doesnt release any sort of brakes. After all its hydraulic tranny. :confused:

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #29  
My FIL's BX2660 will start with the brake down (it may even be required. Cant remember)

Aaron Z

brake down or up, it will start as long the HST pedal is in neutral and pto off. not required since the saftey switch for HST pedal takes care of that.

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #30  
brake down or up, it will start as long the HST pedal is in neutral and pto off. not required since the saftey switch for HST pedal takes care of that.

Ayep. I was just over there installing the plow on it (still need to install the sides on the cab).

Aaron Z