What use is the clutch with HST?

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #31  
I'm assuming the weight on the downslope was turning the engine crank via the HST, and overcoming the compression one piston at a time. It was weird to watch, moved about half an inch each time it happened.

I jumped back on and set the parking brake, which I will remember to use all the time now. Lesson learned.

You assumed wrong!!! you don't run a hydro backwards!!!! To get more technical the rear wheels can do nothing and the only time a hydro works is with a pump running!

You transmission as it gets more hours on it very well will leak down sooner and allow the tractor to roll easier then it does now when shut off!!!!!

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #32  
On my 1984 B7100 the clutch disengages the front PTO that drives the belly mower, and it will grind if the clutch is not used.

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #33  
I was wondering if this "assumption" was going to be addressed. I thought about it but did not want to go through each post to see if it was answered. A hydro on a slope should have the parking brake set.

You assumed wrong!!! you don't run a hydro backwards!!!! To get more technical the rear wheels can do nothing and the only time a hydro works is with a pump running!

You transmission as it gets more hours on it very well will leak down sooner and allow the tractor to roll easier then it does now when shut off!!!!!

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #34  
Its a quick and fast way to disengage the PTO. It is also a nice way to slowly engage a large load PTO attachment like a flail or rotary mower.

That's my take on it also

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #35  
LBrown59
Something doesn't seem right with having to have any pucker factor when starting a tractor on a hill.
1*No park (emergency) brake to set?

1*The park brake won't hold it on a hill if the trans is in
neutral.

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #36  
   / What use is the clutch with HST? #37  

Thanks!!!! Tractor has 22 hours on it!!!! Probably not much wear yet!!!! But I'll keep an eye out for that!!!! :laughing::laughing: ...just pulling your chain. Merry Christmas.

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #38  
Help me out here. How do you HST drivers use your clutch?

To start the engine ... That's all. And that's also what my dealer told me.

Careful though - My L3940's manual says, "The range gear shift can only be shifted when the tractor is completely stopped and the speed control pedal is in the neutral position."

That tells me the clutch is not meant to help with shifting between ranges.

Edit: Manual also says "Depress the clutch pedal before engaging the front wheel drive lever."

/ What use is the clutch with HST? #39  
1*Adjust your brakes.
2*Procedure should be in your manual
3*Although mine was a 80's model Kubota, thebrakes were easy to adjust

1*The park brake won't hold it on a hill if the trans is in
neutral.