Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Who's ready for winter 13/14 ?

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #31  
Almost, got a new set of chains for the back of the Massey and a used set for the front. Need to fit the chains on the tractor to make sure they fit well, Will put them and the plow along with the 400 lb ballast, just before a storm. Them slip on my coveralls and motor cycle helmet and then I will be ready.

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #34  
No, its not going to snow! Ever since I bought my snow blower ...no snow.:laughing:

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #35  
I can't say I'm ready for winter yet, but I don't really do anything different for winter aside from put my bucket on the tractor if we get a really lot of snow. This will be my first year with a rear blade so I'll put that on my tractor when snow flies as well, although it doesn't take very long.

Lt Cheng,
I'd be a lot more excited about winter snow clearing if I had your setup! How are you liking the 4.75?

So far I'm still really liking the 4.75. The greater road speed means that I use it back and forth between some of my friends' and family's properties more often because I don't have to load it onto the trailer to get it back and forth and don't have to take forever getting there either. The only real downside is that I really miss the narrower bucket and hydrostatic transmission for some of the loader work I do, like back filling after an excavation and then smoothing it out. An HST really shines in that application and sometimes a narrower bucket made delicate grading easier. I am almost thinking that if I could swing an extra $15,000 or so I would buy a tractor of this size without the FEL and then buy a skid steer at the same time. That would give me the best of both worlds. I just realized that I'm not totally ready for winter yet though... I need to get a rear window wiper to be totally ready.

I actually just had the first problem with my setup this weekend though. I finished a 12 to 13 acre mowing job last weekend and noticed a really bad vibration from my flail mower. I figured I'd go over everything on Saturday and find something silly that was causing the vibration. Well, when looking things over I also noticed that the little cover box that goes over the slip clutch had gotten undone. A closer look reveals that the slip PTO shaft and slip clutch assembly had been vibrating enough to whack the cover plate loose. So I took a look at the gearbox and there is a lot of play and the oil was milky white. A call to my dealer and all will be taken care of under warranty but it looks like my flail mower has a bad gearbox. That's the only issue that I've had with my setup though and I'm a big fan.

PS: I know I owe the forum a more detailed review and some better pictures but I have been really swamped. I've had a lot of extra training going on at work, plus a couple big cases all mixed in with trying to get things ready to begin our home construction soon. I can't wait until we get into the new place. Hopefully I'll have time to give the tractor a nice bath soon and take some pictures of everything and post them.

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #36  
kinda yes...kinda no.

Iv winterized the jet skis and have put the gardens to bed. Winterized the lawns also.

Ive moved all the winter implements into the tractor storage area...ready to hook up when needed (hopefully not for a couple of months more)

Summer went by too **** fast. not ready to deal with winter...so im not. there

Will probably blow out sprinklers in a few weeks time. I did clean chimney so were ready to burn wood again.

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #37  
Man i'm still cutting grass and need to empty the Chain Saws.

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #39  
Well -
farmers.jpg

I'll plan on spending most of it in northeast Mississippi.