Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Who's ready for winter 13/14 ?

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #41  
Oh, that map makes me feel better. :D

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #42  
Ready for winter??? We haven't had fall yet. But the forecast low for tonight has been lowered twice. From 63 to 61 this afternoon, and now down to 59. But it is still 70 at 1115 at night. So it had better start cooling off if it's going to break into the 50's tonight.

Larro

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #43  
Ready for winter??? We haven't had fall yet. But the forecast low for tonight has been lowered twice. From 63 to 61 this afternoon, and now down to 59. But it is still 70 at 1115 at night. So it had better start cooling off if it's going to break into the 50's tonight.

Larro
Florida... winter? What? ooooh 50s. Our high tomorrow is low 50s and low will be in the 30s! I need to plan a trip to Florida.

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #44  
I find that map interesting that the Texas / OK region being "Unusually Wet" and just north of that having "Normal Snowfall". This year has been unusually wet . So I'm expecting heavy snowfall.

I'm closer each day to being ready.
18.jpg

My jeep is always ready to pull the dimwits out of the ditches
(I'll pull 'em out for free, but it costs $40 to hook up the tow strap).
snow.jpg

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #45  
I pulled the 59" front blower out of the back corner of the shed 3 weeks ago. Less than an hour and I can be blowing. Not planning on mounting it until after the snow has fallen.

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #46  
I am almost thinking that if I could swing an extra $15,000 or so I would buy a tractor of this size without the FEL and then buy a skid steer at the same time. That would give me the best of both worlds.
Are you saying you'd like a second tractor and a skidsteer, or replace the 4.75 with a tractor and skidsteer? I don't see the advantage replacing one big tractor with 2 machines?

PS: I know I owe the forum a more detailed review and some better pictures...
Well, at least your aware of that... :laughing: But hey, somebody has to catch the bad guys!

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #47  
Are you saying you'd like a second tractor and a skidsteer, or replace the 4.75 with a tractor and skidsteer? I don't see the advantage replacing one big tractor with 2 machines?

Well, at least your aware of that... :laughing: But hey, somebody has to catch the bad guys!

Hypothetically, if I were to trade the 4.75 in, I would probably replace it with another T4.75, T4.95, T4.105 or maybe even a T5.105 and a skid steer. I know that means that I'd have a tractor AND a skid steer to take care of, but I think that for my needs it would allow each machine to do what is needed of it more efficiently and likely do a better job. The tractor would handle mowing, brush hogging, snow blowing and other standard tractor work, while the skid steer would do the loader work, back filling and grading excavations and some of the other specialized things that skid steers do very well. I'm finding that for fine grading there's no substitute for the control afforded by a hydrostatic transmission and at the same time for doing more detailed work I much prefer being closer to my work with the better visibility that a skid steer provides. I'll say this though, the T4.75 seems to be the best overall compromise for my purposes. If I'm only going to have one tractor, I'm never going smaller than what I've got. For that matter with the cost of the higher PTO powered compacts that I would require to run a big snow caster I don't think I'd ever even consider anything smaller, the utility and ag tractors seem to be a much better value. As it is I'm very happy with what I've got and the only thing that I'll likely add to the stable any time soon would be a a ride on lawn mower to maintain the 1/3 acre or so of lawn that I want to keep golf course like immediately around the house once it's built. With this setup that I have currently I can mow the remainder of my property in half the time or less than I was able to with the Boomer 3040. I'm able to mow more often and do a nicer job and the "field" portion of my property is starting to look more and more lawn like.

As far as catching the bad guys, I'm hoping that as things get colder they will start to hibernate soon. I want to have the time to really put my new snow removal setup through its paces this winter!

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #48  
You'd also have the ability to rent some pretty incredible attachments for the skidsteer! It's too bad they don't rent out more heavy duty PTO equipment, seems like all the "fun toys" are only available for skidsteers in the local rental yards. While your at it, I suggest purchasing a mini ex as well. :) just kidding of course. However, should you decide to really trade that in someday, I happen to know a nice guy from central MA that would likely purchase your 4.75 (wink wink).

Back to getting ready for winter, I'm about to purchase a set of Aqualine MPC chains for the front tires of my Kubota. This thread got me thinking more about them and "reminded" me about the last two winters when I waited too long.

I'm going to order though Ken Jones Tire in Worcester, MA. Anyone using these chains to help with snow clearing?

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #49  
I'm still putting the gardens to bed, transplanting and building new beds and stocking them for next year. Around the end of October I will mount the snow blower and put the front tire chains on.
I can back blade the first two or three snowfalls with the bucket IF I have to.

/ Who's ready for winter 13/14 ? #50  
Around the end of October I will mount the snow blower and put the front tire chains on.

What kind of chains do you use on the front? How well do they work? I was about to order a set of Aqualine MPC chains but I was talked out of it for my intended uses (winter logging and also plowing pavement.)

My dealer said good ole ladder chains would be my best compromise. The MPC chains supposedly don't do a lot for "off road".