Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor?

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #31  
Re: Why did you buy \'that\' brand of tractor?

<font color="blue">"I am sure this group of most knowledgeable tractor owners can understand the need for two tractors" </font>

Yep....
Henro showed us all that value!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #32  

You guys know that when you grow up on a farm as a kid and if you leave you miss the old farm. This is the way my dad felt so we bought our farm in 1991. We needed a tractor so we bought a JD970. I was fairly young then and this is the first tractor I got to drive and my first time being around a farm. Then back in 2000 I wanted my own tractor so I bought a 790. That got traded in for the 4300 and then I traded for the 990. I have never looked at anything but John Deere. Johnno, I would be interested to hear when you get your 4310 and compare it to the 1070. I find the 990 is way better in terms of power.

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #33  

Billy,
It was simple for me. I was sick and tired of seeing the smile on my brother in laws face when he used his beloved Kubota.
Now I smile a lot!

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #34  

I grew up on the farm with Olivers, including two 550's and a real oddball 1450 from Italy. The 550 was a great little tractor except gear shift would sometimes come out of track, and hitting a ditch with the wheels turned could about break your fingers if you weren't careful.

Now I have 4200 Deere because it's operator platform fits me better, and I liked the looks and ergonomics.

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #35  

In early 2001 we bought 23 acres to build a house and barn on. The land where we intended to build was a former cornfield, and was surrounded by 18 acres of woods. I knew I needed a pretty good sized CUT, so I started looking. I started at a Kubota dealer because I had always heard good things about Kubotas. I also looked at NH & Agco at one dealer, and John Deere at another. The NH/Agco dealer was absolutely no help at all in answering my questions and pricing the tractor and attachments I needed. He acted like he really didn't need my business. I liked the Boomers, until I climbed up on one and the plastic fenders and platform creaked and groaned with every movement. It sounded like the joints of the plastic/fiberglass were rubbing together. I knew that my land was pretty rough and I figured that with all the movement in the chassis it would probably eat itself pretty soon. If they had an all metal body I might have gone with NH.

I went to the JD dealer and priced a 4310 and my heart skipped a few beats when he handed me the price. I liked the tractor and especially the forward/reverse setup for the hydro, but I felt the price was too high, and my CFO confirmed this.

Then I went back to the Kubota dealer and we started some serious dialog about the price and throwing in a complete set of parts and service manuals (the same ones they use in the shop), and a new hat /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. The bottom line is I bought the B2910, 72"MMM, and FEL, and I feel I got a good deal, and I've been very happy with my purchase. But I also feel I would have been happy with a NH or JD too. I think overall they are very similar in their capabilities.

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #36  

I bought a Yanmar 186D for my 75 acres, to do mowing and dirtwork. We loved that little machine! But parts got scarce, and I had to do all the service. It almost flipped, and so did I. It was time to step up.

I looked only at "major" brands, because I didn't want to even take a chance on getting another orphan. I really liked the Deeres, but "everyone" knows the're overpriced. But when all the testing and price quotes came in, the Deere was our favorite and the cheapest. Go figure.

My father in law was an IH dealer who sold a ton of Kubotas. He is an avid DeereHater with many years of practice. But he recommended the deere because of their staying power. Course, he'd deny it, now.

I started out sure that I'd buy a Kubota. NH got me to look around. Deere got my green.

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #37  

I bought a 2WD Farmtrac 60 with loader/bushhog/boxblade from the Long dealer 14 miles from my place. I like blue and white. I like the old fords. I like the interchangeable ford/farmtrac parts. But most of all I like the Long dealer.

He replaced a neighbors tractor (not a Longtrac, Landtrac or Farmtrac...another brand) after the engine counterweights came loose due to manufacturering problem. The neighbors tractor had 40 hours on it and was out of warranty. My neighbor has a replacement tractor. The Long dealer says he'll quit selling the other brand because the other brands manufacturer won't pay for an obvious manufactures defect. The Long dealer is paying for the repairs at no cost to my neighbor.

So, I like blue and white, I like the old ford style and most of all I like a dealer who is honest. That's why I bought a Farmtrac 60.

Jim

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #38  

We moved to our current house on 5 acres 10 and a half years ago.I had the owner include his old Craftsman garden tractor in the offer.I stuggled starting that beast for a month before deciding to trade it in(it throw a rod when the dealership moved it for the first time).All of my new neighbors had glowing reports of their JD lawn or garden tractors so I bought an 18 hp.JD.It was a fabulous machine.In 9+years and close to 900 hrs.it had ZERO problems but was just too slow.I traded for a Ferris ZTR w/front suspension last fall.About 2 and a half years ago I purchased 87 acres of recreational land with about 20 acres of pasture.I NEEDED a tractor(I also had wanted one since I was a little boy).I started looking at used Ford N series tractors but was shocked at the $2500-4000 they were asking AND receiving.One thing led to another and after 2 plus years of looking and not finding the right used tractor I decided to buy a new CUT.I never had a doubt about the brand.It just had to be a John Deere.I got the shock of a lifetime when I visited the dealer-there was something wrong with the color of my money!!!After almost begging the sob for a quote on three tractors for almost three weeks I went down the street to the Kubota dealer.He called me back in the car 10 minutes after leaving the dealership.His price was several thousand dollars less than JD and I got more tractor to boot.Extremely happy owner of a L3830. Now I wouldn't buy a green tree !!!

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #39  

I bought a Mahindra 4110 because of price and weight of the machine. I didn't know anything about tractors at that time except that I wanted one. It just made sense to go with a reasonably priced tractor since my research indicated that the motors were all built in Japan, Korea, or China. A friend of mine said: "Just get a heavy one so you can put the power to the ground" I was like OK; whatever. The mahindra was just shy of 4000 lbs the price was right and it had a reliable Korean powerplant. If I were buying one today I might go with a KIOTI because ther is a dealer 23 miles away instead of 100 miles /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #40  

I ended up with a used L4310 HST Kubota.
Got it because all the other colors were more money. Also the local Kubota dealer was very nice and took lots of time to help me in making the proper choice of tractor for my needs.

Rich