Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor?

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #41  
Re: Why did you buy \'that\' brand of tractor?

I have 20 acres of farm land , 40 years + of brush and over growth to rempove from the old stone walls . I also did the search and asked a few questions here like all newbies lucky enough to find the great depth of knowledge and good will to help others that is here . I also looked at what the "real" farmers used in the area.... Most said get something with at least 65hp from my land and any future uses I may have , ,,, I may still have to go bigger , But for the time being I have enough tractor for this point and time . I did not want a gray market tractor in that I felt better with a dealer network much closer and their if needed , please no flames this is JMHO. So that left me with the big 3 , but I even found a MF dealer and gave them a good look . It came down to dealers , the Blue and the Red were the only dealers in the area , one was a hole in the wall , the other was a good ride away , pick and all was going to be an issuse , the Orange was helpful for the most part but the dealers I spoke to did not feel that my money was green enough and again pick up and delivery was $$$, it came down to the green dealers again some/ most could care less that I bought or not . It also seemed like their was a dealer on every block so after trying every one that was close I found those that were farther away wanted the sale , until I checked out a little mom and pop dealership locally, not only did they have a tractor in stock that fitted my needs and price, (and a very good price I feel to ) they wanted and worked to make the sale /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, ... More checking around found that their service was excellent they cared about their customers . With 3 generations working at the shop they will are commited to customer service . I feel very lucky to find a Green dealer that cared ...
Bill G.
JD 990 w/FEL Bucket / Forks
Kuhn 42 72" tiller
International Culturvator
JD fertilizer/ lime spreader
WorkSaver subsoiler/potatoe plow
110+ hour of happiness in the seat ... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #42  

When the engine in my Oliver OC-3 threw a rod, I knew I wanted a newer tractor. The Oliver was neat but was made in '58. I set out with my youngest son and the first place we got to had some grays and a Ferguson. I looked everything over as they were all pretty much the same price. The grays all had a couple of thousand hours, and the Fergie looked like it had been put away wet. There was one gray, a Mitsubishi that stood out, it only had 500 hours on the meter. I drove it around a bit and thought it was a pretty neat little tractor, so I bought it.

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #43  

I just got back from a trip to Northern Georgia and was amazed to see tractor dealers every few miles; most with at least two colors and dozens of tractors. It's not like that where I live.

In my area there is a JD dealer that has at least 150 tractors in stock; every one of them giant Ag tractors. Not one CUT on the lot. They did have one riding mower in the showroom but it had dust on it. They truly couldn't be bothered with anything less than a 7720. I think they sell mainly to the sugar industry around the big lake.

I went looking for the local Kubota dealer but never found it - it must have been behind something else.

I couldn't find any dealers for anything but the big 3 within 150 miles, and I wasn't going to take a chance on something I wasn't familiar with at such long distance. Besides, I wanted a hydro tranny, and most of the "others" are gear.

The local New Holland dealer has a fantastic reputation for service and support, and they are pillars of the community. They have been in business since the 50's. After doing my research, I went in looking for a TC33D. After hearing my plans, the salesman suggested it might be too much tractor, and I might be happier with a TC18. Imagine a dealer who actually recommended a smaller tractor! He actually had both new and used 33D's in stock and had to order my 18, so he wasn't trying to get rid of something. He impressed me as being genuinely interested that I get the right tractor. So far, he was right about the size.

If this same dealer had been selling green or orange or red or grey instead, that would probably be what I ended up with. But, he sells Blue, so I bought Blue.

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #44  

I can agree wholeheartedly one will pay for good service one way or the other. However, there are limits to the madness also. There is an orange and blue dealer within 20 miles of me. They not only ask full list price plus, they add another considerable amount to that. If you don't want to hear their prices, then hit the road. If the Nat'l list price average is 18.500 for a tc40 or maybe grand L 3830, they won't talk under 21500 to start. They also have their tractors sit there year in and year out.. ANyway, not being able to afford how these local dealers operate, I had to look elsewhere. The old Ford 5000 was past being on it's last legs and a Mahindra dealer was willing to take that old Ford, thus, I bought a 4110 and a large 11 ft bckhoe for that Mahindra. No other color was or probably still is, willing to hang a bradco 511 off a 40 HP machine. Even though I had to go 100 miles, so far the service has been good and no problems with the tractor. It has about 85 hours on it within it's first year.

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #45  

I tryed to buy a used tractor, for the size of my property and use. Found one, and old Ferguson, got it home and it started to have problem the first day or two. Told the man I wanted my money back, he said he wanted $50 to come pick it up, just 14 miles away. And then he gave me back my money, except he kept $500 that he wanted to fix it, if I kept it. So that cost me $500. Went looking at Yanmars then as they were in my price range, for what I needed. The man about 16 miles away carrys them, but he said he was out and it was fall, so I would have to wait till next spring till he got more. So I went 250 miles away to get one, as I found the best deal there and a nice dealer to deal with. But as I can do my own work, I think it was the best deal for me. Bought a Yanmar YM1700, nice little tractor, does all I want or need.

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #46  

Rozett, I did the same. The only thing Deere had over my Cub Cadet was a "self-bleeding" fuel system. That is not an issue for me: I never run out of fuel, and I can "bleed" the lines in less than 5 minutes when I do a filter service. People can knock on Cub Cadet all they want, but my tractor has served me reliably for 5 years. I would definitely purchase another! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #47  

I understand the value of having a good relationship with the dealer, but my Cub has never seen a dealer since I got it. Never had to. And it's taken a beating trying to pull stumps and moving huge rocks to block the blasted four-wheelers.

I don't think the newer Cubs are made as well as the ones built by Mitsubishi. The boys at FW Abbott were not pleased with me when I made a comments about too much plastic. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #48  

I started out when i bought some land and needed a tractor to work it. Had no idea of size / features.. was more or less running blind. New prices scared me, and so I looked for used.. and even considered new chineese.. ended up with a yanmar. worked out ok.. but was too small, and then got my NH 1920. That deal was based on price vs. size, compared to all the other local dealers. Since then I have gotten a few more tractors, just as hobby fixemups.. so brand wasn't as much a factor as what my 'eye' fancied.,, so far, and 8n, NAA, and IH cub..

Soundguy

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #49  

I read this thread for a while and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. When I started looking I had no particular color in mind. I came here and started reading and made a list of the size I wanted and the setup. I shopped at all the dealers within 100 miles and even shopped on the internet. I gave the dealers a list of the specific setup I wanted. When all was said and done I went with the best price at the best dealer. The internet price was $200.00 better than the local dealer but it was worth that to have the support of a great local dealer if I ever had any problems.

To sum it up, I bought at the best dealer with the best price.
Besides Blue is my favorite color /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Why did you buy 'that' brand of tractor? #50  

Here's a link to a long winded explaination of why we bought our Power Trac PT425.

A short version would be, we figured out what we needed the tractor to do now and in the future. We researched heavily and took our time before making our final decision. We had started with a really large, used tractor/loader with 3pt hitch to get the large prjects out of the way, the downsized to a practical unit for everyday use.

The main selling points of the Power Trac, to us, are:

1. the amazing quick attach system (link goes to video) which allows us to change implements in 15 seconds without getting off the tractor.
2. Front mounted implements. Saves an incredible amount of time, increases productivity and decreases stress and fatigue on the operator.
3. Full time 4WD.
4. Built tank tough out of plate steel, no sheet metal to dent, full skid plate under entire unit.
5. The hyrdraulic articulation is super maneuverable and will not tear up the turf.

Having owned the unit for about 2 years, I would do it all over again. We are very pleased with this tractor.