Why I should never be allowed to do anything....

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything....
Part two? Now after greasing all the fitings I could find, the lift arms won't lower the bush hog consistently? It will eventually drop but it used to operate without a flaw. :(

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #52  
GeauxLSU said:
Part two? Now after greasing all the fitings I could find, the lift arms won't lower the bush hog consistently? It will eventually drop but it used to operate without a flaw. :(

There should be a valve that controls the rate of drop. Try opening it a bit.

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #53  
Like Jim said it sounds like the control valve got turned accidentally. The valve is a round knob that sets below and in the front of the seat. It controls how fast the arms will drop.

Glad you got the grease gun loose. Those things that are suppose to be easy and don’t end up that way are very frustrating. I seem to always have a few in my projects.

MarkV

Thanks guys. Will do. It wasn't 'accidentally'. I thought it was.... nevermind.... :eek:

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #55  
GeauxLSU said:
Thanks guys. Will do. It wasn't 'accidentally'. I thought it was.... nevermind.... :eek:

GeauxLSU:

We all have had learning curves with our tractors; some of our "curves" are more accelerated than others :rolleyes:. I like your honesty and sense of humor :). Jay

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #56  
JUST STUMBLED ON THIS THREAD. DON'T WANT TO ADMIT TO HOW MANY
YEARS I HAVE USED A GREASE GUN, BUT I NEVER KNEW THE TIP WAS
ADJUSTABLE. THAT EXPLAINS A LOT OF PROBLEMS I HAVE HAD IN THE PAST WITH TOO TIGHT FIT OR IN SOME CASES TOO LOOSE.

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #57  
TRUKFXR said:
JUST STUMBLED ON THIS THREAD. DON'T WANT TO ADMIT TO HOW MANY
YEARS I HAVE USED A GREASE GUN, BUT I NEVER KNEW THE TIP WAS
ADJUSTABLE. THAT EXPLAINS A LOT OF PROBLEMS I HAVE HAD IN THE PAST WITH TOO TIGHT FIT OR IN SOME CASES TOO LOOSE.

Same here. 30 some years of yanking on the tight ones and cussing at the loose ones. Good thing I'm bored at work today.

I'm glad my unabashed ignorance has been able to help the shy. ;) :eek: :D

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #59  
All I want to know is how do you adjust for fit cause I sure didn't know either :confused:

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #60  
BillyP said:
All I want to know is how do you adjust for fit cause I sure didn't know either :confused:

It was briefly mentioned a couple of different times in this thread.

The end of your grease gun is knurled for a reason other than to make it pretty, I found out today. I have 3 grease guns (plus 2 I can't find), and they all work the same way. Right behind the end, there is a jamb nut. You may need to use a wrench on the jamb nut, but once you do, the end can be turned to either tighten or loosen the fit of the gun on the zerk. I just went out and tried it, and my brand new John Deere pneumatic grease gun can be adjusted from sloppy to "can't get it off..." on any zerk on the tractor. So can both of my old pistol grips.

This old dog learned his new trick for the day.