Why I should never be allowed to do anything....

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #41  
It's pretty simple.

Use a torch.

Then a hammer.

Then a torch again.

OR

Buy a new tractor.

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #42  
pull the top pivot pins that you are stuck to on both sides and put a small bit of raise pressure on the loader to bring it up out of the hinge so you can get to it. Then try to unscrew the tip a little on the gun nipple, it should come off. If you break the zerk, at least you can get to it for and easy fix.

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #43  
Prying on the pipe just tightens the chuck on the fitting. You need to get under the grease gun chuck and pry there. I have a tool that was meant to pull grease seals with a narrow hook at one end and ended in an L. It is about 8-10" long. The shank is about 1/2" square. You could get the hook into the seal and a few taps on the "L" would remove the seal. It would work here too.

Cut the pipe off at the lowest possible level then you should be able to get a deep socket on to the hex. Get a pair of "needle nose" vise grips on to the barrel. I have a pair that are about 8" long that would fit in the gap. Take the chuck apart and pull out the pieces.

This situation is frustrating but if brute force won't work then you have to be smart about how you go about it.

Vernon

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #44  
GeauxLSU said:
OK, just to be clear since I don't think some are appreciating the amount of force I applied.... ;) The remaining tube is LOOSE. It can rotate 360 degrees and VERY easily swivels side to side. The amount of force I put on it (with the long 2x4 and leverage), I feel very confident was way more than I'll be able to put on it now since I have little/nothing to wedge under. Obviously it was strong enough to rip the tube apart. If I remember correctly the tip should be adustable based on what some of you are saying so I'm guessing that is option one if I can get some tools in there to grip the nuts. I've never removed the loader and am not really omfortable doing that without a mentor to witness it (and potentially report relevant details to the EMTs :eek: ).

Lopezian - you probably read about my auction experience. Is was not ideal. However, I was clearly informed here, that it was due to my own ignorance so I should just shut up about it. I'm trying to heed that advice despite this thread admitting as much yet again.... ;)

It's been four days since you last posted about this problem GeauxLSU, Well what happened ? did ya get it unglued? some closure please:D
2228 people have checked this thread out. let them know how you made out.

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #45  
irwin said:
It's been four days since you last posted about this problem GeauxLSU, Well what happened ? did ya get it unglued? some closure please:D

Don't you people have anything more important to do? (not that I do...)

Like go over to GearLSU's house with a needle nose pliers in your left hand, a regular pliers in your right hand and loosen the grease adaptor up a turn so that it will just fall off? Lefty loosey.

jb

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #46  
Just yank the dickens out of it. You might break the Zerk, but so what? I've broken them before. I just go over to my neighbor's shop and 'borrow' another one. :eek:

Or, as mentioned, remove the loader and remove Zerk and pipe together. Replace with new Zerk.

This aint brain surgery!

Also, consider a grease gun with a hose. It is more flexible for those tight spots and allows for a good crisp yank when you get a stubborn one. :eek:

But, I have to say, I bought a nice expensive grease gun with a hose. It is well built and a pleasure to use, except for the fact that it never seems to fit any two Zerks the same way. If I adjust it enough for it to come off the Zerk easily, it spews grease. Tighten it ever so slightly and it won't come off. Maybe its not the grease gun......I've become very suspicious of Kubota's Zerk fittings.:mad:

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #47  
usually this stick only happens on a fitting that takes grease hard. The pressure tends to lock the grease head. I used to have trouble with this, but found, as others have said, that rocking the head side to side as you pull will always remove it in short order. A straight extreme pull may damage the nipple and make removal even harder. I think that is what happened to you.
larry

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything....
irwin said:
OK, I got back over there Sunday (sorry hadn't checked the boards) with my brother who was visiting from out of town and showed him my predicament. We tried bending the remaining tube 90 degrees under some misguided notion of his that that would allow for better griping and leverage. :rolleyes: When that predictably accomplished nothing he said "Why not just wedge a big flat headed screw driver tip between the fittings and twist?" I said, "No way I could put more pressure with a screw driver than I did previously when I broke the thing." I did it anyway to appease him and..... it came off 2nd try! :eek: Well, maybe he's my OLDER brother for a reason? :eek:

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #49  
GeauxLSU said:
OK, I got back over there Sunday (sorry hadn't checked the boards) with my brother who was visiting from out of town and showed him my predicament. We tried bending the remaining tube 90 degrees under some misguided notion of his that that would allow for better griping and leverage. :rolleyes: When that predictably accomplished nothing he said "Why not just wedge a big flat headed screw driver tip between the fittings and twist?" I said, "No way I could put more pressure with a screw driver than I did previously when I broke the thing." I did it anyway to appease him and..... it came off 2nd try! :eek: Well, maybe he's my OLDER brother for a reason? :eek:
Alittle pressure and a lot of finesse is the most I've had to do with the thousands of zerks I've greased at work..finish that maint. and back to work.:D

/ Why I should never be allowed to do anything.... #50