Work lights for welding?

/ Work lights for welding? #1  

ning

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
I feel like I'm an "ok" welder, but I definitely do my best work when I can actually see what I'm doing.
Unfortunately, I do most of my welding at night and though my shop lights up plenty bright for most work, as soon as that arc strikes I realize I could definitely use twice as much light - and often I end up in front of my shop where it's kinda dim and then I'm really blind.

I've seen some helmets that have LED lights on them, that seems like a possibility (I love my headlamp for other things but havent' tried stretching it over my helmet, doubt it would reach).

My thought is a big LED panel that I could hang from my neck and possibly belt around my chest, so I'm like iron man with this bright glowing thing in front of me, would do the trick pretty well, but I haven't seen anything like that.

What do y'all do for intense work light, ideally something that moves with you?

/ Work lights for welding? #3  
Probably the best way to go would be one of those dual halogen work lights with the adjustable stand. That way you could position it where you need it and stow it out of the way most of the time.

/ Work lights for welding?
Have you tried a lighter colored lens on your welding helmet ?
I have an adjustable lens and it seems set to the right point for the brightness of the arc; reducing the darkness would endanger the eyes.

Better would be to illuminate everything else more so that it is slightly visible still. I do OK welding in direct sunlight when everything is well lit, but shop & night when the metal is dark but the arc is just as bright not so much.

/ Work lights for welding? #6  
Probably the best way to go would be one of those dual halogen work lights with the adjustable stand. That way you could position it where you need it and stow it out of the way most of the time.
I have one of those dual lights on a stand and a single light on a short stand that sits on the bench or floor. It makes a huge difference.

/ Work lights for welding? #7  
In concept..... But you can always add "work" light as ambient light source..... The brighter your work area the less strain to see weld...

WELDHEMETWITHLIGHT.jpg

Something like this may be just what you need for more ambient light ...

/ Work lights for welding? #9  
Bingo. Works great. GRS notes that LEDs can trigger the autodark lens, which is possible, so stick with good old analog halogens instead.

/ Work lights for welding? #10  
I tried using a led light stand in the past, but the intense light would keep triggering the auto darkening lens to darken. When NOT welding. Didnt help.
I had that issue also with my AD helmet and just turned sensitivity down to a point where random lights did not trigger hood....