Work lights for welding?

/ Work lights for welding? #21  
The beauty of helmet light concept is you are always pointing light on to your weld from behind the sensors in helmet there for helmet is less likely to respond to light changes and you also have light source pointed directed at your weld when you are "out of position"...
Also I use 2 diopter cheater lens behind the helmet lens, it a great help for old eyes...

/ Work lights for welding?
sounds like you need to take the time and set you up a welding area
and stop doing the half @ss setup you been doing , you need good lighting
then set up the lights as well as a welding table .
you get out what you put in
invest in yourself .
You're right, I'll get right on that.
Very helpful!
I guess I'll need one huge@ss table for the 7.5x13' gates I've been making but hey I'll do that for you
Much thank

/ Work lights for welding? #23  
If the light is so bright that your weld is now being illuminated. Its then now powerful then the arc's light. You best lighten up on the helmets darkening.

/ Work lights for welding?
If the light is so bright that your weld is now being illuminated. Its then now powerful then the arc's light. You best lighten up on the helmets darkening.
Added illumination from the work light won't increase the arc's brightness but it will reduce contrast which makes your eyes more able to see the work since the eyes are actually able to see dark things next to bright things - as long as the dark things are so much darker than the bright that they just can't. I'm not looking to make the work as bright as an arc, brilliant that would be. You'll note that you're able to see clouds in the sky despite the sun, even though they're not as bright as the sun.

As I said previously, things are great when I'm working in the sunlight, which indicates that the helmet is probably set at a good point since I can see the work surface and I'm not being blinded by the arc. If I back off on the helmet darkness, I'll risk eye damage.

I need better lights, I know this; I'm far from a full-time welder but on the occasion that I do weld, I've recognized a need for better work light; I appreciate pointers from folks who've given input on the lights.

/ Work lights for welding? #25  
You're right, I'll get right on that.
Very helpful!
I guess I'll need one huge@ss table for the 7.5x13' gates I've been making but hey I'll do that for you
Much thank
Like you I thought that reply about your "half @ss" setup was out of line. 1 of U had no reason to make that reply. Your reply to that post showed a lot of restraint and maturity and I respect that. Good luck with your lighting. If any of the suggestions here help you out please report back.
Cheers,
Eric

/ Work lights for welding? #26  
I guess I'll need one huge@ss table for the 7.5x13' gates I've been making but hey I'll do that for you 😁😁

show pics of that Huge@ss table !! at least you won't be on your hands & knees welding tube ...

dont get Butt -hurt when you get some constructive criticism..

having a good setup is 75% of any project / job.

since your lighting is piss poor and you don't mention what make of hood/glass
your using a HF or a Elite /nex-gen etc , best thing is use a 1.5 or 2.0 cheater
dont go down to 9 it will only hurt your eye's and give you a headache

/ Work lights for welding? #27  
Having a table big enough for all your projects is an illusion; my work table was 6x20' and the cantilever gates were usually between 33-54'.
Having good lighting where you can see the material, and not just the arc is important. It's best to have it coming from behind, but not directly so it won't reflect off the inside of your hood.
51footcant.jpg
51footcant.jpg

/ Work lights for welding? #28  
I feel like I'm an "ok" welder, but I definitely do my best work when I can actually see what I'm doing.
Unfortunately, I do most of my welding at night and though my shop lights up plenty bright for most work, as soon as that arc strikes I realize I could definitely use twice as much light - and often I end up in front of my shop where it's kinda dim and then I'm really blind.

I've seen some helmets that have LED lights on them, that seems like a possibility (I love my headlamp for other things but havent' tried stretching it over my helmet, doubt it would reach).

My thought is a big LED panel that I could hang from my neck and possibly belt around my chest, so I'm like iron man with this bright glowing thing in front of me, would do the trick pretty well, but I haven't seen anything like that.

What do y'all do for intense work light, ideally something that moves with you?

/ Work lights for welding? #29  
I also use the work lights on a stand but needed multiple light stands due to me blocking the light as I moved around the weld area when welding something like pipe and preferring to make a continuous weld. Stand lights warmed up the area when welding inside my workshop during the hot months.

My Lincoln 3350 helmet has a minimum of shade 4. I just purchased a Hobart Inventor 770890 PureColor helmet from CyberWeld as a spare and looking for a lighter beginning shade. The Hobart's minimum light shade at rest is a #3 which makes things easier and more clear in the beginning.

In initial, very limited testing with the Hobart, I can see better and more clear in all lighting conditions with more natural color visibility. The Hobart will now be my primary welding helmet due to overall better visibility- although it has a little bit less room inside than the Lincoln. CyberWeld also included a Hobart P100 respirator in the deal and I like it better than the larger P95 unit I have been using.

YMMV -;)

/ Work lights for welding? #30