Work lights for welding?

/ Work lights for welding? #31  
I have an adjustable lens and it seems set to the right point for the brightness of the arc; reducing the darkness would endanger the eyes.

Better would be to illuminate everything else more so that it is slightly visible still. I do OK welding in direct sunlight when everything is well lit, but shop & night when the metal is dark but the arc is just as bright not so much.
Unfortunately as much as you want to lighten up your work area the filter setting or lens is going to darken the same amount. I know it’s hard to see and keep your eye sight. It’s something you have to get used to. Most of the welders I know that are retired now have issues with their sight now.

/ Work lights for welding? #32  
I have had the same problem trying to get enough light and one thing I found that helps is to block the light coming in from the back of the weld hood. It really helps when working outside or with bright overhead lights. I just tape a towel to the top edge of my hood and let it drape over my shoulders. I searched for "Weld Hood Crown Cover" and found a couple more elegant options.
1689609442426.png

/ Work lights for welding? #33  
As an FYI, helmets are available with settings that sense electronic magnetic pulses and the like. Where as my twin halogen stand light would trip the normal auto darken function, when switched to the “X” setting I can crank up the halogens and/or locate them very close to the work with no effect on the helmet. Indeed a great help with depth perception and seeing the needed travel path.

An in spite of my general dislike of high tech devices, pleased to say this helmet has worked flawlessly for over 14 years.

Good luck.

/ Work lights for welding? #34  
I'm a novice welder for sure, but I did decide spending a little more to improve my ability was worth it for me. I have a combination of Sunco and Costco 4ft shop lights in my garage/shop and over my welding table I think there are 3 of them. For everyday I'll just have one on, but when I'm welding I'll turn them all on.

Additionally, I have this hood and I absolutely love it! I can actually see what I'm doing which goes a long way!

The new version has a built in light! If I were buying one today I might opt for the new version just for the light. I'm not sure I'd use the connected features all that much. That said, you can absolutely wait for a sale!

/ Work lights for welding? #35  
The ambient light in my shop above the welding table is always enough because I have the 'grind mode' on my hood.

Buy yourself a good hood and be happy.

/ Work lights for welding? #36  
You might try a fixed lense helmet with darkness shades you can change to verify your existing helmet. I don’t know what shade is appropriate unless I was there. But try 8,9,10 for starters.
When I learned to weld in 1959 with my dad teaching, we had an open un branded transformer, a fixed helmt of course, a 14” rod of 6013. When I put that helmet down I said I can’t see anything! My dad said you will, the door was open in that old unlit shop. I had no problem seeing and never have unless the lens was too dark for conditions.
Light coming in the back of the helmet like mentioned is always a bad thing too.

/ Work lights for welding? #37  
Just adding to my post. I added some expanded metal to my grill over the weekend to make it more a brush guard and was able to see where I was placing my gun and what I was doing when the arc was lit with my hood. There's just a momentary period when the arc first strikes and when it goes out it's black for half a second or so, but otherwise I absolutely can see what I'm doing and I'm positive my ability to see makes me a better welder than I otherwise would be.
I'm a novice welder for sure, but I did decide spending a little more to improve my ability was worth it for me. I have a combination of Sunco and Costco 4ft shop lights in my garage/shop and over my welding table I think there are 3 of them. For everyday I'll just have one on, but when I'm welding I'll turn them all on.

Additionally, I have this hood and I absolutely love it! I can actually see what I'm doing which goes a long way!

The new version has a built in light! If I were buying one today I might opt for the new version just for the light. I'm not sure I'd use the connected features all that much. That said, you can absolutely wait for a sale!

Attachments

• IMG_4276.jpeg
    IMG_4276.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47