A simple three point counterweight

/ A simple three point counterweight #71  
On one of my last tractors, it had a very large concrete counterweight on the back, and instead of it being picked up by the 3 points, of the 3 point hitch, it was only picked up by the lift arms, and the top link was removed, and there was a bracket that lined up with the top link mounting bracket, then the pin was inserted into the top link mounting bracket and "locked" the counterweight in place. I dont' know if this was a good system, because it puts a lot of weight on the 3 point top link bracket, but it was how it was, we never took the counterweight off though as it was such a PIA.

/ A simple three point counterweight #72  
Given that I regularly carry around implements weighing 2 or 3 times that (which have the advantage of being USEFUL) and the hydraulics don't pop - I don't see any point in chaining anything to take a load off the 3 pt.
Owners of fragile tractors may need to think differently however (-:

I have seen a Fordson Dexta with a volume bucket to load blocks of maize silage (cut with a 3pt block cutter) into a TMR wagon... It had a forklift counterweight at the back which would make the tractor wheelie if the loader was off for service... Needless to say that the counterweight was tied to the ROPS to keep it up, there is no way a Dexta lifts a counterweight heavier than itself ;)

/ A simple three point counterweight #73  
My counterweight is coming along, finally.........

The design:
Weight Concept.PNG

The build (it's upside down).

This is the back side. It's the "tail" of the center angle iron (that's tied into the drawbar). The reese receiver will be welded under it (or on top, as shown---upside down).

Everything is only tacked in place. Need to verify QH compatibility, probably this weekend. Also needs the receiver welded on and to be filled with rerod. Naturally, concrete will come after all that. We take it to the concrete place and say "when you come back with some extra, fill this up" and they do for cheap (or even free, I think).

/ A simple three point counterweight #74  
Lookin good even upside down. :D :thumbsup:

/ A simple three point counterweight #75  
Lookin good even upside down. :D :thumbsup:

Thanks. I'm excited to have it done. It'll be my last attachment, I think. I really should have it for moving around pallets of firewood and grappling other firewood. I am RimGuarded, but still. Will post more as it continues. One day, it'll be spiffy orange.

/ A simple three point counterweight #77  
My ballast box is made from an old dorm refrigerator for the form and utilized parts just laying around.
The pic was in the concrete adding stage with various braces for stability. It has worked out ok but I've learned since that it needs to be stored with a board on the ground to tilt it forward a little for ease of re-attachment.
I guess the wt at a little under 500lbs and tractor has tire fluid.

Attachments

• wt box.jpg
    wt box.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 850
   / A simple three point counterweight #78  
My ballast box is made from an old dorm refrigerator for the form and utilized parts just laying around.

won't the weight hitting your lift arms bind with the 3rd point if you lift it high?