1965 David Brown 880UE Implematic/Livedrive Refurbishing

/ 1965 David Brown 880UE Implematic/Livedrive Refurbishing #1  

aczlan

Good Morning
Tractor
Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660. Formerly: Case 480F LL, David Brown 880UE
Going to put this one here since Case bought David Brown.
We are buying a 1965 (per the serial number) David Brown 880/UE which has the 3 cylinder AD3/40A engine and the later Selectamatic tin (painted white with headlights in the grill), but it still has the Implematic rear end, 6 speed transmission and Implematic hydraulic system (which is reportedly simpler?).
First order of business will be fixing the steering (the steering box housing is in many pieces), then it will get all the fluids changed, anyone know what specs it needs for the various fluids, or do basic UTF and Rotella meet the requirements?

Thanks

Aaron Z

Last edited:
   / 1965 David Brown 880UE Implematic/Livedrive Refurbishing
Re: 1965 David Brown 880UE Implematic

Pictures attached:
IMG_20191008_170936093.jpeg

IMG_20191008_170930963.jpeg

IMG_20191008_170922676.jpeg

Aaron Z

Got it home tonight, found good and bad:
Good:
2018 battery (on the "smart" charger in reconditioning mode)
Made it on and off the trailer without breaking anything
Loader lifts and lowers, needs more fluid though
Brakes work (loaded and unloaded with the split brakes)
Nothing new found to be broken
Power steering pump seems to work
The last of the steering column (hand throttle) is disconnected and off of the tractor

Bad:
6" or less of fluid in the loader arm to feed the front pump (should be 24" or more)
Power steering still does not work
3 point still does not work
Still need a hose clamp for the lower radiator hose

To-do list:
1. Install hose clamp on lower radiator hose
2. Run till warm and check for leaks and oil milkshakes
3. While warming up, test power steering valve (pump needs more oil?) to see if it's worth selling, or if it is worthless other than for scrap
4. If 2 is good, drain oil, coolant, loader arm and transmission fluid
5. Replace radiator hoses
6. Flush, then refill oil, coolant, transmission fluid and loader hydraulic fluid
7. Build new steering column, needs to steer tractor, cover up the holes from the old steering box and have hand throttle linkage
8. Lay out plumbing and fittings for new power steering and loader hoses (loader hoses are sketchy, power steering box might be able to run off of loader circuit). JIC for all fittings where possible.
9. Order and install hoses for loader and power steering
10. Cross fingers and hope it all works

Aaron Z

Lots of progress, drained 10 gallons of liquid out of the transmission and removed the top cover to clean it out, the liquid was the consentiency of yogurt:
669212892.jpeg

IMG_20191016_211950620.jpeg

IMG_20191016_213024524.jpeg

IMG_20191016_220840531.jpeg

Found a leak in the radiator and took it in to be tested/repaired:
IMG_20191012_195919694.jpeg

Vaccumed and then pressure washed under the radiator, then cleaned some of the crud off of the hood:
IMG_20191016_213810362.jpeg

Took off the power steering and started ordering parts to replace it:
IMG_20191011_213132968.jpeg

IMG_20191011_213221226.jpeg

Going to mount a tie rod end on the end of the steering cylinder with an adapter to go from a 7/8-14RH thread on the rod to a 7/8-18LH thread on the tie rod end, pictures to follow when parts arrive.

Aaron Z

Found out today (from the nice lady at Case) that the 11/49 in the top right corner of the serial number tag means that it had the "High speed final drives" vs the 9/50 "Low speed final drives" that were also available.

Aaron Z

Got back to working on the tractor again:
Cooling system:
Got the radiator back from the radiator place, no leaks found, it was steamed out and ready to go.
New thermostat is installed and the housing is back together.
Radiator is now installed and plumbed in with new hoses (including the little hose from the top of the water pump to the head), also installed a blow off hose and a breather hose from the valve cover to the intake using some leftover clear hose from another project:
IMG_20191102_172246016.jpg

Air cleaner: Replaced the falling apart bungee cords with a new rubber one, 34" long, using 4 hooks to hold it to the 3 points on the bottom part and one to keep the top parts from falling off of the side:
IMG_20191102_172300646.jpeg

Exhaust manifold: Now flipped so that the exhaust will go up and not start a fire when we drive over hay, this also gets the exhaust away from the starter, it was about 1/2" away before.
Can't remember if I mentioned it, but flipping the manifold required moving the alternator out a little.
Have to stop at the shop down the road and have them bend me a short piece of 1 5/8" OD exhaust tubing to a 30 degree angle so I can remove the old exhaust pipe from the flange and weld in the new one so it sticks straight up:
IMG_20191102_172246016.jpg

Alternator: Was found to be bad, have a rebuilt GM 3 wire alternator on the way from Amazon for $37, I lengthened the tensioner bracket with a pair of bolts so that it can move out to clear the exhaust, it's redneck, but it works.
Also got a new (longer) belt and replaced the power steering belt while I had the front pump off:
IMG_20191102_172254652.jpeg

Transmission: Top cover is back on, used black Permatex gasket maker to seal it up, then installed 5 gallons of UTF.
Started on the plate that the steering column will mount to, got it roughed out and drilled the 6 bolt holes:
IMG_20191102_202503928.jpeg
Next I need to clean up the sides and start building the steering column bracket:
IMG_20191102_202545901.jpeg

IMG_20191102_202549713.jpeg

Steering:
All parts are here, I installed the tie rod end, ended up just putting a wrap of tin around the tie rod end and tightening it up with the impact, will watch to see if it stays tight.

Loader: Straightened and welded the pump bracket, clearanced the front frame to clear the pump, installed new UTF.

Engine: Replaced oil and fuel filters, bled fuel system, drained and replaced oil. Will need to plug the hole that they put in the oil cap (probably when they crimped the valve cover breather shut so that the filler would stop popping out)

Current to-do list:
1. Clean up steering column base plate (flap wheel on grinder)

2. Built steering column mounting bracket

3. Built hand throttle lever and linkage

4. Paint steering column base and brackets (rattle can black?)

5. Plumb steering column (including temporary pressure gauge to verify system pressure, the valve is only good for 1500PSI)

6. Start and verify all functions work (including 3 point which wasn't working, possibly due to the pump not being able to suck the sludge through the screen)

7. Drive around and put a load on it

8. Order and install ROPS

9. Install canopy on ROPS

10. Completely rewire the tractor, switching to electric gauges and adding lights

11. Replace all of the loader hoses with new ones (switching to power beyond) and add another valve off of the loader pump for rear remotes

Aaron Z

Last edited:
No responses from anyone? This has to be my least responded to thread to date :D

Aaron Z

/ 1965 David Brown 880UE Implematic/Livedrive Refurbishing #8  
I just saw the thread. Good work, wish I had the energy to and knowledge to take on a project like that.

I just saw the thread. Good work, wish I had the energy to and knowledge to take on a project like that.
Thanks, it's a big project, but the parts are all fairly simple when I get into them.
So far, the fasteners have all come loose easily which has been nice.

Aaron Z

/ 1965 David Brown 880UE Implematic/Livedrive Refurbishing #10  
Hey AZ,
Cool project, keep the pictures coming too. I envy guys like you that can take something old , broke down and neglected and get er running and new life , cool post . Keep us up dated, Appreciate it, Dan