1965 David Brown 880UE Implematic/Livedrive Refurbishing

/ 1965 David Brown 880UE Implematic/Livedrive Refurbishing
Hey AZ,
Cool project, keep the pictures coming too. I envy guys like you that can take something old , broke down and neglected and get er running and new life , cool post . Keep us up dated, Appreciate it, Dan
Thanks for the kind words, next post will have some mistakes I made tonight, debating how best to fix them.

Aaron Z

Started on the steering column bracket tonight, that went well, some pictures of how that went:
1844437898.jpeg

Also used a tap to clean some of the crud out of the bolt holes for the seat (the back ones had over 1/4" of crud in them):
283435163.jpeg

Trimming the instrument panel to fit the steering column did not go as well. I trimmed it to go with the round side to the front and it was looking great:
957344264.jpeg

836235555.jpeg

1320017824.jpeg

Then I realized that I had it backwards and the flat side needed to go forward as the hoses exit on the flat side and I needed them to exit and go forward:

366006765.jpeg

That made for some clearance issues with the shifters:
1212824048.jpeg

And I noticed that one of my brand new shift boots has a crack in it:
1470655732.jpeg

So, I think I will end up trimming the squared off black cover for what will be the front of the column to end just above the dash to cover up the unneeded round front of the hole (might also weld a patch plate into the dash, time will tell) and I need to contact the seller of the boots to get a replacement boot coming my way.

Aaron Z

/ 1965 David Brown 880UE Implematic/Livedrive Refurbishing #13  
Hey AZ,
Please excuse my not understanding but if this tractor is all original why would you have to trim the instrument panel for the steering column? Also looks like you have dozens of rusted bolts , I can see by your pictures your soaking them with something but have you ever tried Kroil ? Amazing stuff, Dan

Hey AZ,
Please excuse my not understanding but if this tractor is all original why would you have to trim the instrument panel for the steering column? Also looks like you have dozens of rusted bolts , I can see by your pictures your soaking them with something but have you ever tried Kroil ? Amazing stuff, Dan
The steering box housing was shattered (and replacement parts are not available unless you can luck into someone parting one out).

It originally had a hydraulic cylinder with a valve built into the end of it that the drag link off of the steering box tied to.

As such I am replacing the steering box with a hydraulic steering column from a forklift (I had one from a forklift that a friend was parting out) and I am replacing the original cylinder with a new one.

As for the bolts, I have been surprised to find that (so far) they have all come out fine.

Aaron Z

/ 1965 David Brown 880UE Implematic/Livedrive Refurbishing #15  
AZ,
Good call , makes sense that parts are hard to come by. Good luck with the fab job ,kind of doing a remodel on a old house you gots to do what you gots to do to make it work thank you explaining your reason , good luck and appreciate the updates . Dan from Nor Cal.

So, some injection pump pictures:
It seems to be weeping a little where the banjo bolt attaches the injection line attaches to the pump (the one closest to the camera). Not sure if this is normal seepage, if it just needs a pair of crush washers, or if there is a problem.
I put a wrench on the banjo bolt and it was not loose.
IMG_20191107_082425910.jpeg

IMG_20191107_082453107.jpeg

IMG_20191107_082510465.jpeg

And a picture of the steering box pieces:

IMG_20191107_082357582.jpeg

Aaron Z

/ 1965 David Brown 880UE Implematic/Livedrive Refurbishing #17  
Is there a priority valve for the steering, or will you install one?

Is there a priority valve for the steering, or will you install one?
Steering has a dedicated belt driven pump, it is completely separate from the other hydraulic systems.

Aaron Z

/ 1965 David Brown 880UE Implematic/Livedrive Refurbishing #19  
hmm. that is an excellent idea, the belt driven pump. i would like rear remotes and i have loader and power steering on a priority valve right now. could use a belt driven pump for one of them.

i also like seeing the restoration threads. thanks for posting the pictures. is it a steering pump off of a car?

Near as I can tell, it's a David Brown kit, it's listed in the "Steering Parts" section on the Messicks parts breakdown:

Screenshot_20191107-140742.jpeg
You could probably use a car pump, a remote tank would probably be a good idea though, most built in tanks aren't big enough.

Aaron Z