Mahindra MAX28XL 4.70 star(s) (22)

Information, reviews, photos, discussion topics, owner pages, and specifications about the Mahindra MAX28XL.
Subcompact Tractors
1704761711.jpg

About the Mahindra MAX28XL

Mahindra MAX28XL Discussions (0)

Here are the most recent MAX28XL topics from our community.
No discussions tagged.
[ad placeholder]

User Reviews (22)

Read what TractorByNet members think about the Mahindra MAX28XL Subcompact Tractor
77 %
14 %
9 %
0 %
0 %
5.00 star(s)
Quixotic gentleman

MAX28XL Mahindra
Mahindra 28XL: The Review by a Tractor Novice
Model Year: 2012

I used the word "novice" in the review title for the purpose of warning veteran tractorites that I realize a true comparison review was impossible because I have only driven one other tractor besides this Mahindra itself, being an old gray market Yanmar. Therefore I imagine my review might only be helpful to other novices in the market for a tractor. Furthermore, I am not the natural mechanical type and have historically been given to throwing my hands up in the air and calling a more knowledgeable friend or professional to fix anything run by an engine when I have problems with it. I am a newbie mini farm-steader who has migrated away from the dirty, dangerous city to start anew. Disclaimer now given, I'll commence with my humble opinion and experience regarding the aforementioned. First of all, WOW, what a crap ton of fun it is utilizing this machine! If a combat rifle is considered a combat multiplier, the small tractor, replete with implements and loader, should be called a production multiplier. For years I have done things the hard way. My mentality has always been that if you're not doing it the hard way then you're a softie or a wimp. Well my knees, for one, are paying the price for that mentality. So far I have used it to load up block and stone to cart around to various parts of my land to build fence columns with, as well as sand, dirt, carted my mortar mixer around, used the loader to push posts into the ground (The 28XL WILL drive T-posts into the ground in my soil (rocky soil probably not)), Stretched fencing, pushed down/dug up small trees (very small, 2" diameter), pulled fallen trees to the burn pile, used the loader as a scaffold, and, of course, bush hogged and mowed. The people at the dealership were great to work with. I could tell the lady who was working with me on it was a little new, herself, and I somehow liked that fact. Actually, I went in looking at the Max 25 but when I found out how close in price the shuttle shift 28 was to the 25 HST, I opted for the extra horses over the easier to drive HST. They also sold me a barely used bush hog as mine needed a rather significant weld repair that I decided wasn't worth fooling with since its rust was already significant and its blades also needed replacing. I was a little tentative about the shuttle shift, though primarily because I thought it would be too difficult for my son to drive. But my uncertainty was unfounded because he has been driving that thing around like a pro, using the loader and everything (except bush hogging and mowing, which I won't let him do yet). So that has been a real bonus. Perhaps, albeit gradually, this video game kid will become an outdoorsy, farm kid. I opted for the industrial tires over ag and turf because it seemed to straddle its possible roles the best, in my novice understanding. I liked the idea that turf tires wouldn't tear up your ground after some significant rains but didn't like the idea of spinning tires. Having experience on the Yanmar, I knew what ag tires did to soft ground. The tires on the 28XL are quite a bit taller than on the 25 and 22 as well, which I thought would give me a slight edge on ground clearance. The stats on the 28XL indicate that the loader is a size up from the 25 and 22 (if memory serves) and I'm glad for that as well because honestly I can't imagine the bucket being any smaller and the digging capability being any less. I realize that this isn't a bobcat but I had imagined it would just a little more umph in the digging department. I HAVE done a little digging and even more grading but I do work around a lot of machinery at my job and am used to seeing skid steers and excavators do awesome stuff so I'm sure I was being a little, well, quixotic about what I would get out of the bucket. ;) Once I accepted reality about what a subcompact tractor loader could and couldn't do I ended up extremely pleased with what conveniences the loader has afforded me. I imagine you HST fans will also opine that the loader would be easier and faster to use without having to stop and shift to reverse every time you're using it to grade and stuff. Of course the shuttle shift vs. HST is another conversation but I can say that since I don't have any experience on an HST I'm not missing it or cursing the shifting that I'm doing while operating the shuttle shift. To me it still seems adequately efficient and easy. I have noticed that the parking brake isn't 100% reliable. It has slipped out a couple of times and I don't know if this is indicative of all tractors or not. It hasn't been a deal breaker but nevertheless is a slight complaint, since there are times when I really would like to rely on it. One time in particular was when I was stretching a wire fence and I put the brake on and hopped out to hammer the staples in the posts and it slipped out. I was in neutral so it wasn't this dangerous tractor gone wild or anything but I did have to hop back on and reposition it. So, don't rely on the brake if you want to park on a hill. So far this Mahindra seems sturdy and hasn't lacked for power to pull anything I tie to it. I would like to take some time soon to find out what that limit might be but I can say it has handled stuff as well if not better than my Yanmar 2210, which might be heavier, I'm not sure. After 20 hours I guess this is more of a review in progress but I was prompted by email to review my tractor and it sounded like a good idea. In the end I chose Mahindra because its price point was cheaper than a similar Kubota at the dealership down the street from Mahindra and Mahindra's warranty was more robust and they also offered to come pick up the tractor and/or send their mechanic to my house if something was wrong with it. Kubota didn't offer that kind of care. I could've spent less money on a more powerful used tractor but without a warranty, I just seemed too risky for me. I had already sunk several hundred dollars in various parts for the Yanmar here and there over only a 6 month period so I knew I wanted to go new. Time, and more reviews, will reveal the composite review on these MAX tractors. Right now, I'm having a ball!

Pros: Does not lack for power when running implements and towing/pulling, etc. Comfortable and spacious. Hydraulic lift/loader is very smooth.
Cons: I gave reliability 4 stars only because of: Parking brake slips out occasionally. Doesn't have a cup holder! ;)

5.00 star(s)
larryam

MAX28XL Mahindra
My First Tractor

I spent a great deal of time researching before deciding which tractor to purchase. In my opinion the Mahindra line of sub-compact tractors cannot be matched. My final three in making the decision were Kabota, John Deere, and Mahindra. I rated my tractor "5 stars" on all accounts, time will tell if I'm right, but so far I don't have the slightest bit of "buyers remorse". I bought the front loader, back hoe, rake, rear blade, and spreader, and have used all but the spreader. Build quality: the body and fenders are all metal, no plastic unlike the competitors. The frame is a tractor frame, not a mower frame. Features: can't think of anything that it doesn't have, all controls are easy to access and simple to use. Performance: Plenty of power; the front loader can lift 1400lbs, and the PTO has more power than the competition. The back hoe performed above my expectations. I bought the "Shuttle" (gear) model instead of the HST to have the additional power. Value: With everything I bought, I paid $22k, can't be beaten, considering all above. Reliability: Easily starts every time I turn the key, but time will tell. Dealer Experience: If all Mahindra dealers are as good as mine, watch out competition! Had a couple of minor issues, and the response was terrific. I will recommend Mahindra and my dealer to anyone looking to purchasing any size tractor.

Pros: Everything!
Cons: No cigarette lighter---yet!

4.00 star(s)
Neck147

MAX28XL Mahindra
Mahindra Max 28

I was impressed with the overall design and the specs. on the hydraulics for this size of tractor.

Pros: Layout of controls, comfort of seat.
Cons: Too early.

5.00 star(s)
Anonymous Poster

MAX28XL Mahindra
Great Tractor

I have done some serious work with this tractor and it has performed flawlessly. I am amazed by the size of the rocks that the backhoe will effortlessly pull out of the ground. I have done some fairly heavy lifting with the bucket also, moving stones and cement blocks around my yard. The Mahindra has saved me a great deal of time and effort. This tractor works much better than I expected when I bought it.

Pros: Lift capacities are great.
Cons: Have not found any yet.

5.00 star(s)
Anonymous Poster

MAX28XL Mahindra
Max 28 Shuttle

This little gem is all a man needs to get any job done. It is great for move 1 ton ice boulders that the snow plow shoves into my drive way. It has smooth hydraulics and great handling. And it does not kill your lawn by tearing it to pieces while turning and backing up.

Pros: Does everything it should within reason.
Cons: Some cold starting issues.

5.00 star(s)
constestmt

MAX28XL Mahindra
Exceptional Tractor
Model Year: 2013

This guy can do anything I ask of. If you are considering buying a tractor, look no further.

Pros: Lots of power.
Cons: No drink holder :)

5.00 star(s)
thomashansen

MAX28XL Mahindra
Good Machine

So far, I have cleared several acres of overgrowth with a rotary mower. dug a pit to get black dirt out to back fill parts of the property, leveling the grass.

Pros: Tons of power.
Cons: As I read before, no cup holders :)

5.00 star(s)
hlogan1863

MAX28XL Mahindra
Ground Clearance

Draw bar hitch assembly reduces ground clearance by 3" to 9" from 11". If u get stuck, it might be because of this getting stuck or stump, root.

Pros: Horsepower, cost.
Cons: Draw bar hitch / ground clearance.

5.00 star(s)
bmontini

MAX28XL Mahindra
Love It, But Factory Tech Assembled Wrong!

Happy so far, does nearly everything I have thrown at it so far, but hmmmm... Backhoe hydraulics were installed with the wrong fittings on the wrong hoses, causing the 3pt to not work when the BH was taken off! Wish the HST pedals were side by side like small Deere's, heel/toe is odd, but pretty standard on units this size. Better feel than kubota though.

Pros: Easy to use.
Cons: Factory BH installation incorrect.

5.00 star(s)
linuxman51

MAX28XL Mahindra
Max 28 HST with FEL and Backhoe

Marketing hype got me a little bit on this guy (but that's not always a bad thing ;) ), I knew about what I wanted though, and I had a specific price range and this was the tractor with the most features within that range. It sits a bit higher than most "sub compact" tractors, but lower than what many consider "compact" tractors (so, it's a small tractor but not the smallest. I don't care much for non-descript titles (is a yugo a compact or is it a sub compact car?). I'm using it to clear property and configure an urban farming type of enviroment focusing on the cultivation of peppers (extremely hot varieties). It has done well, I had to have the seat replaced shortly after I bought it due to a wiring issue with the seat safety switch (the swivel cut the wires, as it turns out, there was a missing zip tie to hold the wiring out of harm's way and I would have addressed it myself had I known about it before hand). The backhoe works well, The front end loader works well. Just wish it had a larger bucket sometimes. Dropping the hoe and attaching 3ph items is a breeze. The longest it took me was the first time---5 minutes without opening the owner's manual. This is without a doubt the best tool purchase of my life.

Pros: Fantastically versitile, back saver.
Cons: It could be larger for the same money? Maybe better fuel economy? I really haven't run into any shortcomings yet.

Photo Uploads:

[ad placeholder]

Mahindra MAX28XL Owner Pages

View owner pages to see photos, customization and comments about member-owner Mahindra MAX28XLs

Mahindra MAX28XL Community Rankings

#19 user rating of 70 Subcompact Tractors items
#40 Viewed of 70 Subcompact Tractors items
#12 discussed of 70 Subcompact Tractors items
#788 user rating of 27027 items overall
#1380 Viewed of 27027 items overall
#61 discussed of 27027 items overall
#7 Ranking of Most-OwnerPages in 27027 items overall