HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!!

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #1  

MArvane

When I purchased my 4500 I immediately saw that the close proximity of hydraulic lines to the exhaust manifold was a problem, so I wrapped them in foil to reflect the heat (photo 1). The power steering reservoir literally sits right above the exhaust and manifold with barely a finger's width clearance. There is a line below the manifold also with little clearance to this extreme heat source. Living in Texas I had hoped that M&M would know about designing equipment for hot climates but this almost looks like it was intentionally designed as a heat exchanger!

Fast forward 160 hours (!!!!) and last week when I suddenly had fluid coming out the top of my steering column. In a fun filled weekend I managed to remove the HSU and replace the shaft pressure seal and found that the old one was burned, brittle---toasted (photo 2; old and new seal).

I have subsequently wrapped everything in fiberglass insulation and heavy duty aluminum foil secured with SS wire (photo 3). If your tractor has this design problem and you replace the seal without addressing the root cause......be prepared to do it again.

Shame on M&M; my bad for not realizing the severity of the problem and addressing it accordingly before this.

Attachments

• 4500P1.jpg
    4500P1.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 632
  • 4500P2.jpg
    4500P2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 533
  • 4500P3.jpg
    4500P3.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 539
   / HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #2  
Surly you can't be the only one with this problem. Did you try without the foil at all ?

You got a hat at of the same material ? (j/k :laughing:)

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!!
I did a search and found several owners with similar HSU failures. This is an early model 4500 but shares the same design as the 5500 and 6500. Perhaps they have changed it; I've spoken with dealers who have acknowledged the HSU failures but no one seems to know why. I figure that I've been exposed to probably 1000 rads over my lifetime so a fiberglas insulated/foil covered helmet seems moot at this point (LOL).

Head's up if you have lines near the exhaust manifold; mine actually has rubber hoses within inches!

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #4  
Could be the reason the 30 series doesn't have steering reservoir.

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #5  
I am glad I seen your post! I have a 5500 that I just replaced the o-ring kit in the HSU. I just pulled back into the barn ,mad as h&^%l! the fluid was pumping out thru the top of steering wheel.I know I did the rebuild right and new seals do not usually fail that fast.If this is a dominant problem with 4500/5500/6000 series why hasn't Mahindra manned up to design problem? maybe they need kicked into some action? another example of corporate stupidity? also those rebuild kits [2 o-rings,2 seals]are not cheap,ie:48 bucks shipped.So the root cause is expansion and heat?,which today it is 86 degrees in Ohio and I was cutting hay for about 3 hours so heat buildup was definitely present.I will try your remedies and thanks for the post!--------------ps. another rant of mine is the dealers that are changing or dropping out,called one[open for just 2 months] for the parts kit ,didn't have a grasp as to what I was telling him? and couldn't tell me shipping cost?about 15 or so? how do they survive in today's business climate?The best I ever dealt with was in Marietta and he quit because of warranty payments to slow,so he said? He is selling a couple of brands now to deversify. Thanks for listening to a sweaty mad old farm guy.:(

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!!
Ricky, I bought the manual (What a joke! But that's another story) and according to M&M power steering (hydraulic) fluid recirculates continously between the reservoir/pump/HSU even if you don't turn the wheel. With the reservoir sitting right on top of the exhaust manifold, it is like dropping the HSU seals into a deep fryer. What was M&M thinking? What was I thinking when I bought it!!!

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #7  
Don't beat yourself up for not spotting the problem. Can the lines and tank be relocated?
I had a similar issue with my Jinma; the pump was replaced with one doubling the gpms without the corresponding upgrade in larger diameter lines, 4 pumps later I re-engineered the system top to bottom and now everything is cool.

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #8  
I'd try to put a tin or aluminum heat shield between the two. Wrapping the lines may protect them from the manifold, but you won't get the additional fluid cooling you could gain by having free flowing air around them.

Thus the reason I don't buy "newcomers to market" equipment.

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #9  
I'd try to put a tin or aluminum heat shield between the two. Wrapping the lines may protect them from the manifold, but you won't get the additional fluid cooling you could gain by having free flowing air around them.

I agree a "heat shield" around the manifold and stack would deflect the heat from the hoses better and the insulation would hold the heat IN the hoses, IMO. A shield would keep the heat away and also cool faster than the thermal wrap. Look under your truck or car, for instance, that will give you an idea. Good luck.:thumbsup:

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #10  
I was looking at the tractor and was thinking the same about air flow etc. I was thinking of adding a circle of tin or aluminum coil stock to push the heat out from under the hood?or maybe add some vents? Maybe a Mahindra with louvres on the hood? Now that would be wild:p:) I filled the resevoir today and ran it about a half hour and and no surge of fluid but Monday will be a 6 hr day and temps will be in the high 80's, this fluid crap is not what I need right now, I need a working tractor.