HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!!

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #21  
When I purchased my 4500 I immediately saw that the close proximity of hydraulic lines to the exhaust manifold was a problem, so I wrapped them in foil to reflect the heat (photo 1). The power steering reservoir literally sits right above the exhaust and manifold with barely a finger's width clearance. There is a line below the manifold also with little clearance to this extreme heat source. Living in Texas I had hoped that M&M would know about designing equipment for hot climates but this almost looks like it was intentionally designed as a heat exchanger!

Fast forward 160 hours (!!!!) and last week when I suddenly had fluid coming out the top of my steering column. In a fun filled weekend I managed to remove the HSU and replace the shaft pressure seal and found that the old one was burned, brittle---toasted (photo 2; old and new seal).

I have subsequently wrapped everything in fiberglass insulation and heavy duty aluminum foil secured with SS wire (photo 3). If your tractor has this design problem and you replace the seal without addressing the root cause......be prepared to do it again.

Shame on M&M; my bad for not realizing the severity of the problem and addressing it accordingly before this.
Thanks for the INFO: MARvane>>> I have a Mahindra 4500 2wd 2002, and for the second time I had to remove my steering box (HSU) because of fluid leaking. The fist time it leaked from under my tractor steering wheel, second time leaking from the top of the Orbitrol steering unit. The first leak I had the HSU seal replaced, after reinstalling the HSU my tractor began to not make sharp turns. but you can make wide turns. If the tractor sits over night, it will make sharp turns, until after running the tractor for a while, and the steering began to become harder to turn, and I would turn the steering wheel around and around and the front wheels will not move an inch, and stop turning at all. As I got off the tractor I will hear a frying or boiling sound, appearing to come from the HSU. Now my HSU is back in the shop and getting a expense rebuilds job. I cannot found a used or rebuild ORBITROL unit Flex 4 unit. Can you help me with this??? Do you think my tractor powering steering fluid reservoir is getting hot for this model(4500 2wd 2002) and breaking down the HSU seals?????

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #22  
I think by wrapping the power steering lines you are making the problem worse by holding the heat in. If you put a layer of tin foil between the heat source and the power steering lines that would help. You need to leave the cold side open so that heat can escape.

Secondly if these HSU's have a design problem replace them with a different brand of HSU. You need a rough calculation of the steering cylinder volume and decide on how many turns of the steering wheel you want lock to lock and pick an HSU that works for you. I believe Surplus has them but I haven't looked. Somewhere I saw them and how to do the calculations. You would have to adapt the new HSU to your tractor but it seems a more reliable unit would be desirable.

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #23  
Anytime goodluck with the fix
HI NAVASOT: I have a 4500 Mahindra, and again after reinstalling a new(I mean a new HSU) I am again having problem with my tractor after cutting a little while the steering gets stiff and will not turn the front wheels at all. What is happing is my power steering fluid in the power steering reservoir is getting supper hot. Please give me any advice what is causing my power steering fluid to boil in the reservoir, causing steering problem. Is it my steering pump on this tractor, if so where is the steering power steering pump???

/ HSU failure root cause----READ THIS!!! #24  
When I purchased my 4500 I immediately saw that the close proximity of hydraulic lines to the exhaust manifold was a problem, so I wrapped them in foil to reflect the heat (photo 1). The power steering reservoir literally sits right above the exhaust and manifold with barely a finger's width clearance. There is a line below the manifold also with little clearance to this extreme heat source. Living in Texas I had hoped that M&M would know about designing equipment for hot climates but this almost looks like it was intentionally designed as a heat exchanger!

Fast forward 160 hours (!!!!) and last week when I suddenly had fluid coming out the top of my steering column. In a fun filled weekend I managed to remove the HSU and replace the shaft pressure seal and found that the old one was burned, brittle---toasted (photo 2; old and new seal).

I have subsequently wrapped everything in fiberglass insulation and heavy duty aluminum foil secured with SS wire (photo 3). If your tractor has this design problem and you replace the seal without addressing the root cause......be prepared to do it again.

Shame on M&M; my bad for not realizing the severity of the problem and addressing it accordingly before this.
HI MARVANE. I have a Mahindra and my power steering reservoir is getting very hot, which I think is leading to my tractor having steering issues. I have now replaced the HSU twice, and after checking for any leaks which I found none, plus the fluid reservoir is full. Can you please inform me why my fluid reservoir is getting so very hot, after cutting. do this tractor have a power steering fluid pump, could this pump be causing my power steering fluid to run hot???? Please give me any advice......