Caught an Intruder

/ Caught an Intruder #71  
I like the idea of a Ruger LCR (or the s&w body guard) series weapons.
They are small enough that I think you could carry them all the time and you wouldn't get annoyed by the inconvenience of lugging a weapon around.
They both have an optional laser site! I think they make perfect carry weapons!

I don't have a full carry license but if I did I would seriously consider one of these.

/ Caught an Intruder #72  
Note that your comment applies to a standards complaint device. Until I was certain that the device was standards compliant, I would treat it like it wasn't.

I understand your trepidation, but any Ethernet switch you buy today with PoE built in is going to be 8023af/at compliant, period--and Ethernet switches is what we were talking about. It's only third-party injectors that are sold with specific devices (like cameras, wireless bridges, and so forth) that sometimes aren't standards-compliant. If you really need to be sure, confirm that the box says, "802.3af" or "802.3at" on the side, but if you find me a PoE Ethernet switch that isn't standards-compliant, I will be really surprised. Well, if you are willing to go back far enough, you can find some switches that do Cisco-proprietary PoE, but they also had the auto-sense safety mechanism built in, so the issue of powering a non-PoE device is still moot. IMO, Ethernet switches (note: not proprietary inline injectors) supplying power to non-PoE devices is just a problem that has been solved, and is not something the vast majority of people need to worry about.

/ Caught an Intruder #73  
I can't add anything technically, but I would add that after my brother (five acres back, no visible neighbors, etc.) had a break-in, he went the security camera route, which he can monitor from his laptop. But I thought his best idea was mounting a camera where it would clearly record any vehicle coming down the driveway. Since thieves generally need a car/truck to haul the stuff, he wanted to record their license plate.

/ Caught an Intruder #74  
With the dog route, make sure they understand the word "patrol". I let mine loose at night to do their business. If I am being "security" minded, I tell them "patrol".

They go get their body armor on, mount their shoulder lasers, head-cams and go visit the property perimeter. It is always fun to watch. :)

On the serious side, one runs in front of the other about twenty feet, all along the property. If I am with them, one is in front, one in back. It took over a year to train them like this. The deer and squirrel population were my biggest issue during training. Must be genetic.

/ Caught an Intruder
After careful consideration, I believe I've determined the specific type of equipment which will meet my perimeter security requirements. Two basic goals must be achieved... Intruder detection (audible alert) and intruder recording (security camera).

To accomplish my goal of intruder detection, I'd like to use multiple outdoor wireless motion detectors linked to a single indoor receiver with an audible alarm. This will allow me to create choke points using brush and debris along the woods at property line and direct potential intruders to specific points of my choosing. I also plan to install a driveway alarm to detect vehicles before they get near the house. These are my highest priorities.

My goal of intruder recording can be accomplished using 3-4 nightvision IP cameras attached to various locations around my home and pointed at specific areas of concern. Each camera should have a 60-90 degree field of view and be capable of recording clear HD images up to 100 feet away. Since the cameras will be attached to the house, I could use either wireless or CAT-5 cameras, but think I prefer using CAT-5 cameras connected to a PoE switch so I won't have to worry about using solar cells or changing batteries.

Video and/or image recording could be accomplished using one of my computers, but I prefer to use a multi-channel DVR which may even eliminate the need for a PoE switch. I'm still reading about their capabilities, but I'd like the DVR to be automatic. Meaning it should automatically discard images and/or video beyond a certain age (7-30 days) to free space for new video and/or images. I would also like the DVR to be remote-capable so I could view video and/or images from anywhere using the internet.

In addition, I plan to purchase a game camera so I can move it to various concealed locations around the perimeter of my property, which will allow me to get a better idea of what may or may not be happening. For example, I'd like to monitor the field behind my house to see if there may be any activity of interest, other than the adjacent property owner cutting and bailing his hay.

The good news is that there is a wide variety of choices available for everything I'll need, but the bad news is there is a lot of crap out there. It's a minefield of over priced China-made junk, fake reviews, and shady companies. Unfortunately, it appears that finding the right security equipment at the right price is going to take a while.

It would be much simpler if I could simply install several hundred feet of razor wire connected to a high current 240 VAC power source so I could simply fry the intruder, but since I obviously can't do that I guess I'll have to catch him the hard way. :mur:

/ Caught an Intruder #76  
Oh, I was just talkiing about this with my brother, and he reminded me of another. Have a code word established between all family members that means, "drop everything and hide/lock the doors/run/ and call the sheriff NOW." Make sure there are charged cell phones available in all rooms (he bought those pay-as-you-go ones and left them on chargers. Not energy efficient, I guess, but they didn't always have their primary phones with them.

/ Caught an Intruder #77  
CCTV cameras and a gun! That would do it for me.

Oh and a good door lock!

/ Caught an Intruder #78  
How do you plan to keep the motion detectors from being triggered by the critters? I've considered installing some more but can't figure out how to prevent game alarms on them.

/ Caught an Intruder #79  
How do you plan to keep the motion detectors from being triggered by the critters? I've considered installing some more but can't figure out how to prevent game alarms on them.

Thats easy, Put up a sign that says" No Critters Allowed".

/ Caught an Intruder #80  
MasseyWV, I think that I would buy a couple (or more) game cameras first and put them out before doing anything else. They are probably cheaper than anything else that you listed so buying a few immediately might not break the bank. You can move them around to get a decent idea of what is going on around your property or areas in question and also see what you would be up against with "critters" and motion sensors and alarms. While these won't give you an alarm if tripped they may help you determine the most efficient way to address your security concerns.

Which ever solution that you choose, I wish you the best and hope that this was just a one time event.