Caught an Intruder

/ Caught an Intruder #51  
I am sorry this occurred. It is not a good thing and I fully understand how upset it makes you and your family. There are no easy answers.

The one thing that has made me feel more comfortable and allows me to be more at ease was getting a good, large dog. It is amazing how much more he sees, hears amd anticipates than I do both inside and outside. You will quickly learn to understand what each type of bark means. Plus, he will fast become your best friend. Many have mentioned this as a part of the solution and I am just seconding that idea.

Whatever you do, good luck.

MoKelly

/ Caught an Intruder #52  
I am sorry this occurred. It is not a good thing and I fully understand how upset it makes you and your family. There are no easy answers.

The one thing that has made me feel more comfortable and allows me to be more at ease was getting a good, large dog. It is amazing how much more he sees, hears amd anticipates than I do both inside and outside. You will quickly learn to understand what each type of bark means. Plus, he will fast become your best friend. Many have mentioned this as a part of the solution and I am just seconding that idea.

Whatever you do, good luck.

MoKelly

I agree...our dog jake smells and hears better than me and looks meaner and barks louder and you don't want to see him growl or mad....get a big dog.

/ Caught an Intruder #53  
While everyone is talking perimeter safety etc. I would concern myself with some sort of safe room.
Beef up door, get some wrought iron on the windows.

This guy just made you a prisoner in your own house, as sad as that is, but standing there and then running, well he's up to no good and now you know, now you must act.

Three hours for police - that's unacceptable. Heck I think they get quicker service in the Alaskan Tundra.

Mann o Man if I was you I don't know how the heck I would now sleep at night.

I installed something similar to this - Shoots 200ft, I circled my warehouse so if someone stepped into the circle of safety zone - all **** broke out. Laser perimeter alarm

The PHOTOELECTRIC DETECTOR BEAMS can go up to 100 Meters outdoors.

I bought 2 pair and covered all four sides with an BEAMS. If anyone crossed the beam - I knew about it.

http://www.thehightechstore.com/skorpion.html

/ Caught an Intruder #54  
There is no such thing as "just a peeping Tom". Sooner or later Toms decide to up the ante because peeping no longer gets him aroused.

/ Caught an Intruder #55  
Also want to say at this point that this also could have been a very innocent thing. Could have been a guy who broke down and didn't have a cell phone, or maybe someone out for a walk and decided he needed a drink of water or something, then after he got close to the house, he might have got intimidated for some reason and changed his mind and walked away.

I was kind of in that position a few years back, just before I got a cell phone. The Gas Gauge in my truck would get stuck and mis-read once in a while. I thought I had enough gas to get to the station, but I ran out. It was getting late and I was pretty tired and I hated the thought of walking back to the house I just left to get a ride. It was out in the country and I started walking back. I past a few houses and thought maybe I could use someone's cell phone or cordless phone. Years ago I would think nothing of it, but everyone is kind of paranoid these days and I didn't want to startle anyone. I finally saw a woman out in her yard and thought about asking her, but by the time I got closer, she went back into the house and I just missed my chance. I did not want to knock on the door. Well.... I ended up walking back, kind of cussing these "modern" times that we are living in.

My point is, even though caution is a good thing, a lot of you all might be getting wound up for nothing.

But I still like my idea of firing off a few shot gun blasts as mentioned earlier. Wouldn't have hurt anything. And I definitely would had still called the police back.

Bill

/ Caught an Intruder
Thank you for the EXCELLENT suggestions, many of which coincide perfectly with what I have in mind. I'll reply to a few specific suggestiond later, but it will take a while because I want to take the time to gather my thoughts and research some of the suggestions provided. Overall, I now believe it will be quite feasible for me to set up a secure perimeter without breaking the bank which was a major concern of mine.

I also have to take into account the cost of buying another pistol, preferably something with good "stopping power" that my wife can more easily handle, especially in an emergency. Then there is also the possibility of buying a pistol for me to keep over at my garage, but that is less of a priority right now. Suggestions anyone?

/ Caught an Intruder #58  
Your pistol question is loaded. Too many answers. For the record I have a Ruger lc9 and a s&w m&p 40c. The Ruger fits in a cargo pocket the smith I holster. You need to go and shoot some, find a range that rents them. No use in buying something that doesn't fit you. I like the smith be because I can conceal it, but I can also use the full size mags for 15 capacity. If your wife is going to shoot it, go rent some and make sure she likes it.

/ Caught an Intruder #59  
brin said:
Think shotguns with 00 buck shot....12 or 20 gauge....instead of pistols...

Those work too and are cheaper than pistols for the most part. Problem is they may not be right at hand when needed. Dunhams had the mossberg 500 on sale for $300 with two barrels, might still be.

Do you a concealed carry license?

/ Caught an Intruder #60  
Clear and concise info on cameras. Thanks for posting Lebneh & Aczlan.

Could the cat 6 cable to the POE switch also be used for transmitting the signal from the camera back to the computer, or is it dedicated to power only?

I can see where wireless is better if you have remote 110v power for the switch that is separate from you house, but have the impression that wireless is not as reliable as wired for signal transmission.