Caught an Intruder

/ Caught an Intruder #61  
Good point on the power capacity.
Also, for those who might be wondering NEVER plug ANYTHING into POE switch unless it was designed for POE. 48v to a network card will do Bad Things(TM) to it.

Sorry, but that's not correct. The designers of PoE thought of that. Before putting power on the line, the PoE switch sends a small sense current onto the transmit pairs. If the client device is PoE enabled, it passes that current back on the receive pairs. If the client is not PoE enabled, it does nothing, and the sense current is small enough that no harm is done. By this way, a standards-compliant PoE switch (e.g. 802.3af or 802.3at) will never give power to a non-PoE device. However, some companies make non-standard PoE injectors that do not include the sense technology, and simply bridge the voltage onto the pairs. These injectors should only ever be used with the equipment that they are designed for; they are not intended as general-purpose PoE devices.

/ Caught an Intruder #62  
Could the cat 6 cable to the POE switch also be used for transmitting the signal from the camera back to the computer, or is it dedicated to power only?

Absolutely. The whole point of PoE is that the power is run over the data lines. Data and power on the same line.

I can see where wireless is better if you have remote 110v power for the switch that is separate from you house, but have the impression that wireless is not as reliable as wired for signal transmission.

Wireless can be fine, depending on the distance and number of obstructions. Solar is an option for powering a remote wireless camera, although in many cases it would just be cheaper to run PoE or 110.

/ Caught an Intruder
Your pistol question is loaded. Too many answers. For the record I have a Ruger lc9 and a s&w m&p 40c. The Ruger fits in a cargo pocket the smith I holster. You need to go and shoot some, find a range that rents them. No use in buying something that doesn't fit you. I like the smith be because I can conceal it, but I can also use the full size mags for 15 capacity. If your wife is going to shoot it, go rent some and make sure she likes it.

It's funny that you mentioned Ruger, a P94 .40 caliber semi-automatic pistol is my current choice for home defense. That, and a Mossberg 12 gauge pump shotgun. Personally, I've owned/shot a lot of guns in my life and shoot quite often, but my wife is a different story.

The problem with my current pistol is that my wife has trouble pulling back the bolt to chamber a round so I'd like to make things a little easier for her.

/ Caught an Intruder #64  
It's funny that you mentioned Ruger, a P94 .40 caliber semi-automatic pistol is my current choice for home defense. That, and a Mossberg 12 gauge pump shotgun. Personally, I've owned/shot a lot of guns in my life and shoot quite often, but my wife is a different story.

The problem with my current pistol is that my wife has trouble pulling back the bolt to chamber a round so I'd like to make things a little easier for her.

I have seen where gunsmiths can add what I will call a bolt assist, but is more a slide assist, for people with less strength/dexterity in their hands. That may be an option? Or a wheel gun.

/ Caught an Intruder #65  
Clear and concise info on cameras. Thanks for posting Lebneh & Aczlan.

Could the cat 6 cable to the POE switch also be used for transmitting the signal from the camera back to the computer, or is it dedicated to power only?

I can see where wireless is better if you have remote 110v power for the switch that is separate from you house, but have the impression that wireless is not as reliable as wired for signal transmission.

Yup, the data goes over the same line.

Wireless is sweet if it is setup correct. As a general rule of thumb you want to make sure the router/AP (and receiving device) is not next to other wireless devices, microwave or anything that will interrupt/block the signal. Put the router/AP up high. Avoid metal and heavily insulated walls if possible. Line of site does wonders for wifi. If you are in a spot with a lot of other wifi networks you probably wanna change the transmit channel. You could also get a router that has replaceable antenna's (not sure which model I linked but this one has replaceable TP-Link TL-WR841ND). You can get some pretty sweet outdoor high-gain antenna's but like anything else it's more $$.

The problem with wifi is range. In a wooded/hilly area I think you would get better distance with the POE ethernet run than you would with Wifi and you won't have to worry about interference. Plus you can bury that cable and hide it pretty nicely all the way to your tree/post (and you don't have to worry about power).

Now if I was deploying to a place with electric I would go probably go with wifi cameras (add wifi-AP's as need).

As for POE and plugging it into devices. All POE that I have ever seen runs as a "draw". A POE device draws power from the source, the power isn't pushed. You do need to make sure your POE source (switch or injector) can provide the power you need. Like I said before they are not created equally.

Feel free to ask any questions you have.

The router I linked

/ Caught an Intruder #66  
If you are looking for something for the wife, most women ,not all, do better with a revolver than semiautomatic.

/ Caught an Intruder #67  
Unfortunately, In the day and age of people voting for less public expenditures, people need to get used to 3 hour response times by law enforcement. You pay for what you get and people are not voting for more services.

/ Caught an Intruder #68  
Sorry, but that's not correct. The designers of PoE thought of that. Before putting power on the line, the PoE switch sends a small sense current onto the transmit pairs. If the client device is PoE enabled, it passes that current back on the receive pairs. If the client is not PoE enabled, it does nothing, and the sense current is small enough that no harm is done. By this way, a standards-compliant PoE switch (e.g. 802.3af or 802.3at) will never give power to a non-PoE device. However, some companies make non-standard PoE injectors that do not include the sense technology, and simply bridge the voltage onto the pairs. These injectors should only ever be used with the equipment that they are designed for; they are not intended as general-purpose PoE devices.
Note that your comment applies to a standards complaint device. Until I was certain that the device was standards compliant, I would treat it like it wasn't.

Aaron Z

/ Caught an Intruder #69  
If you are looking for something for the wife, most women ,not all, do better with a revolver than semiautomatic.

+1

Honey, point it at his middle and pull the trigger. As long as he's still moving, keep pulling it. Good girl, now excuse me while I fetch a mop.