Backhoe Trying to put BH back on

/ Trying to put BH back on #41  
Once removed, if my Backhoe is in the Sun, I have to take a wrench and loosen a fitting and bled off the pressure that has built-up due to the Hydraulic fluid expanding. I generally loosen a cylinder hose fitting and allow a couple of spoon fulls to leak out. Be sure to select a fitting that dosn't have pressure due some load placed upon it. Works every time. Fred

/ Trying to put BH back on #42  
I have a New Holland TC45DA with a grapple on the bucket which I can't hook up due to pressure in the lines. The Parker fittings feel like they are welded closed. I just called my dealer and asked what I should do. They told me to crack the fittings to let a little fluid out which should relieve the pressure. They also said I would have to do this to both lines. They said it would just ooze and not squirt at me.

Hope this is helpful.

Guy

/ Trying to put BH back on #43  
Go back and look at post #19, I bought this gadget and it is worth the price. Cracking fittings is pretty sloppy and a little dangerous. Contrary to post 41, by definition, they have pressure in them, if there were no pressure, the quick couplers would go back together easily. I used the rag and rubber hammer method until I bought George Waite's gadget.

/ Trying to put BH back on #44  
Go back and look at post #19, I bought this gadget and it is worth the price. Cracking fittings is pretty sloppy and a little dangerous. Contrary to post 41, by definition, they have pressure in them, if there were no pressure, the quick couplers would go back together easily. I used the rag and rubber hammer method until I bought George Waite's gadget.

Here's more info on the 'tool': Patent US7448406 - Hydraulic coupler pressure relief tool - Google Patents

/ Trying to put BH back on #45  
Question: can't you depressurize those lines by just working the control lever with the engine off? I haven't tried disconnecting any of mine but it seems to dump the pressure in the hoses to the loader if I just work the loader control in all directions with the engine stopped.

/ Trying to put BH back on #46  
Question: can't you depressurize those lines by just working the control lever with the engine off? I haven't tried disconnecting any of mine but it seems to dump the pressure in the hoses to the loader if I just work the loader control in all directions with the engine stopped

Yes, but after an implement like a hoe or grapple needs to be connected back to the hydraulic system the fluid in the lines has expanded in volume from exposure to high temps, (exposure to hot sun) then the problem of the expanded fluid blocking the ball shut off from opening enough to reduce pressure inside the line occurs at point of connection; and one cannot overcome that issue without relieving the pressure manually, prior to hookup.
See the patent article description of how hydraulic systems function in the link in my post above- it gives a really good description of the problem.:thumbsup:

/ Trying to put BH back on #47  
Post by Gil Case on 03-18-2013, 08:08 AM:

Here is a gadget you should have.
Simple Tool Solves Hydraulic Pressure Problems
A simple tool invented by George Waite makes releasing pressurized hydraulic couplers as easy as turning on a water faucet. Waite's Hydraulic Pressure Relief Tool works like pliers to grip the valve end. Turn a simple tap on one side of the pliers, and it slowly presses on the male fitting, gradually releasing pressure
Company: Waite's Tools
Name: George Waite
PO Box 66
City: ATWOOD
State: CO
Zip: 80722
Email: bramma@kci.net
Phone: 970 522 5696

P8010003.JPG

/ Trying to put BH back on #48  
Question: can't you depressurize those lines by just working the control lever with the engine off? I haven't tried disconnecting any of mine but it seems to dump the pressure in the hoses to the loader if I just work the loader control in all directions with the engine stopped.
The gadget only works on the male side, the female side (on the tractor) as you point out can be depressurized by moving control levers, but the male side (implement) is off the tractor, laying on the ground in the sun ergo the pressure build up.

/ Trying to put BH back on #49  
Thanks for the explanation. I hadn't thought of that.

/ Trying to put BH back on #50  
The gadget only works on the male side, the female side (on the tractor) as you point out can be depressurized by moving control levers, but the male side (implement) is off the tractor, laying on the ground in the sun ergo the pressure build up.

Some of us use both male and female on implements like grapples so we are forced to hook them up correctly. This tool is not so helpful if it doesn't have a way of relieving pressure on the female side.

I just keep a small ball peen hammer as well as a rag and a 3" piece of 3/8 brass rod in my tool box. The hammer taps the male tip through the rag and taps the brass rod which is positioned on the female nipple. No fuss. Works every time.