2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #191  
My term for crew cab in the Tundra line is the Crew Max and I am 100% certain that's what the truck I saw was. If it had been easy to get to it from where I was at the time I would certainly have asked where/how it was ordered like that. Like I say, it could have been some special fleet order thing or something, which is not necessarily unheard of. I once owned a Ford LTD that was originally built for police work that was different than any police model I or many cop friends of mine had ever seen. It never saw police work and had 13k miles on it when I bought it. Looked new, smelled new, was wicked fast and handled turns like they were nothing. Never could find out what or who it was intended for, but it was one of the best cars I ever owned and often was mistaken for an unmarked even by law enforcement.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #192  
There are a few private company's that are doing stretched trucks where they will extend the frame to add a long bed to a truck that is not normally configured as such. See it on the Dodge Megacabs.
Not really a big big deal - reinforce/extend frame, extend driveline, brake lines, etc.. then bolt on a factory long bed - now you have a "factory" looking crew max long bed. Check out LONGBEDMYTRUCK dot com - think they have a brochure that shows the Tundra.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #193  
Just saw our local Ford ad on TV. Compare the F150 to Toyota Tacoma (not Tundra). Of course as I understand it, Tacoma is not only best selling truck in Hawaii, but best selling vehicle.

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #194  
This is an old thread, and I haven't read thru the entire thing yet, but I've owned both so I thought I'd weigh in.

Owned:
86 F150 300ci 6cyl
86 Bronco 302
92 F250 7.3L
A bunch of Rangers
04 F150 5.4L
---
07 Tundra 4.7L Double Cab (extended)
10 Tundra 5.7L CrewMax 4x4 with 20" rims & a leer cap-topper
04 Toy Sequoia 4.7L.
---
08 F250 v10 Crew.

With the exception of this F250, from my experience, the Toyota's are much, much better vehicles. They are more reliable, much less expensive to own, and retain their value SOOOO much better. The 5.7L v8 in the Tundra is a powerhouse. Paired with the 4.30's, that thing tows like a dream. I would say it tows about as well as my F250 v10. My lifetime average (Fuelly) for my 5.7L 4x4 crew was just under 15mpg. When you consider the Fuelly numbers from people, you realize that all the trucks, when similarly equipped, are very close in MPG's. My F250 v10 on the other hand, is a pure gas hog. Empty 11-12mpg, towing 9-10mpg.

Now, I sold the 10 Tundra when we moved out of the City and needed to downgrade my payments & increase MPG's. Picked up a used Prius (45mpg :cool: ) and my used Sequoia (4.7L, 15mpg), and still pay less per month for the payments than I did on the Tundra.

This 08 F250 is a good truck tho. Ford SuperDuty's are notorious for killing ball-joints & hubs, so when these go again I'll replace them with moog and hopefully get more life. The truck is solid though, and I needed to upgrade to a HD truck with more capacity. If Toyota made a dang HD truck, I would like to own one. They were supposed to put a diesel in a 1-ton truck back in 07-08, but things changed with the market.

----

Back to the point of this thread. If I was towing with a 1/2 ton all the time, I'd go with the Tundra because I feel the drivetrain components are much better built for towing, and I believe the truck is a better vehicle overall than any other 1/2 ton, when all things are considered. I would not want to tax a turbo'd v6 for constant heavy towing, and the 5.0 might be underpowered. That 5.7L in the Tundra is a torque monster, and most of the torque is available all the time. I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather have that in my F250 than the V10 that's in there.

But the trade-off for the Tundra is their business model... they make what configurations they WANT to make, not necessarily what the people want. I cried for a CrewMax with a 6.5' or bigger bed, but they kept the 5.5' bed on it. Offer a 6.5' or 8' bed on the Crew and I think they'd boost sales by a fair number.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #195  
I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather have that in my F250 than the V10 that's in there.

I was reading with an open mind until you made this statement. You lost your credibility on that one. :cool:

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #196  
I was reading with an open mind until you made this statement. You lost your credibility on that one. :cool:

why would you think that? the V10 is only 362hp and 457 ft/lbs. Not exactly a monster by today's standards. Maybe the writer liked the tundra engine better.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #197  

Have you owned both? I have. The Toyota 5.7 was 381hp/401tq, with a smooth 6spd tranny & 4.30's.

Once you own and tow with both, then you can question my credibility.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #198  
Have you owned both? I have. The Toyota 5.7 was 381hp/401tq, with a smooth 6spd tranny & 4.30's.

You are not comparing vehicles relevant to this thread. Ford doesn't put that engine and transmission in a 2013 F150. The engine changes that took place in 2011 are drastically different.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #199  
You are not comparing vehicles relevant to this thread. Ford doesn't put that engine and transmission in a 2013 F150. The engine changes that took place in 2011 are drastically different.

Incorrect, the 2013 Tundra uses the same drivetrain as it did in 2010. So when I speak of that vehicle and my experience with it, it is relevant when the thread began with that vehicle as half of the equation.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #200  

Google "area under the curve" and get back to me.

My F250 has 4:30's. Did yours so we are comparing apples to apples? If it didn't, I could almost understand what you are saying. I have driven some 3:73 F250's with the V10 and it makes a big difference.