2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #171  
Just heard an ad today stating that Ram was the fastest growing in the truck market......?

Yeah cause it is a 2 or 3 year old brand.

Sent from my Samsung SPH-L710 using TractorByNet

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford
Well we finally hit the 500 mile mark (break in). I took it to get dinner the other night and wanted to see what it had. It went from a dead stop to 115mph WAY quicker than I would have thought. Man, this thing flys. Cant wait to tow with it. So far we like it- plenty of room and power. Couple things we are not overly thrilled about- the LATCH hooks in the rear are a pain to get to. To reprogram the lighting entry settings, you have to bring it to Toyota. This may be different with the limited/platinum packages, not sure. We are averaging 18mpg, which I feel is good for truck this size with that kind of power and gears (4.30). If I had to rate it out of 10, I give it a 8.5. I will continue to update as time goes on. I hope someone can use this thread to make a truck buying decision.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #173  
Well we finally hit the 500 mile mark (break in). I took it to get dinner the other night and wanted to see what it had. It went from a dead stop to 115mph WAY quicker than I would have thought. Man, this thing flys. Cant wait to tow with it. So far we like it- plenty of room and power. Couple things we are not overly thrilled about- the LATCH hooks in the rear are a pain to get to. To reprogram the lighting entry settings, you have to bring it to Toyota. This may be different with the limited/platinum packages, not sure. We are averaging 18mpg, which I feel is good for truck this size with that kind of power and gears (4.30). If I had to rate it out of 10, I give it a 8.5. I will continue to update as time goes on. I hope someone can use this thread to make a truck buying decision.

Pretty quick ain't it? I almost rear ended someone the other day because I had my head up my butt. Was merging onto the Interstate and got on it hard because there was a ton of random traffic coming up and I would have been sitting there forever waiting. Got onto the highway, but was checking my left mirror for a guy coming hard in the next lane over I needed to get into. I was focused on him instead of the car in front of me and nearly shoved it into the next county. Good thing the wife was with me to yell at me (at the time and for a few minutes after). Good thing the truck handles well too. This was my 'live and learn' moment by finding out how fast this thing really is, especially when you already have the RPM around the sweet spot.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford
boutym said:
Pretty quick ain't it? I almost rear ended someone the other day because I had my head up my butt. Was merging onto the Interstate and got on it hard because there was a ton of random traffic coming up and I would have been sitting there forever waiting. Got onto the highway, but was checking my left mirror for a guy coming hard in the next lane over I needed to get into. I was focused on him instead of the car in front of me and nearly shoved it into the next county. Good thing the wife was with me to yell at me (at the time and for a few minutes after). Good thing the truck handles well too. This was my 'live and learn' moment by finding out how fast this thing really is, especially when you already have the RPM around the sweet spot.

I remember in 1994 riding in a classmates new Z28, thinking it was one of the fastest stock cars I had ridden in. It had 275hp stock, LT1 350cu in automatic. It ran low 14s in the 1/4. This truck feels like that car. Way quicker than I thought.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #175  
I remember in 1994 riding in a classmates new Z28, thinking it was one of the fastest stock cars I had ridden in. It had 275hp stock, LT1 350cu in automatic. It ran low 14s in the 1/4. This truck feels like that car. Way quicker than I thought.

Yep, and that is exactly why I get such horrible mileage. For a big truck it's WAY too much fun to drive to let all that power sit there lonely. I added the rear anti-sway to mine shortly after I got it to make pulling a heavy trailer more stable, but it helped quite a bit in cornering too. With some minor suspension tweaks and the right rubber I bet the thing would be a challenger against a lot of cars in the twisties, or at least make them think twice about poking fun at the old guy in the Tundra. In fact, even as it sits now it doesn't do a half bad job keeping up with the ricers. :D

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #176  
Just heard an ad today stating that Ram was the fastest growing in the truck market......?
Ram is now outselling Ford in class 3, 4 and 5. My guess is Ford is still suffering from bad press associated with the 6.0 and 6.4. As the rep of the Scorpion continues to grow, I would bet Dodge/Ram/Fiat will loose some of their momentum. Also fact that Ford does not offer a manual trans in these classes also may be helping Dodge. A friend of mine is a barn builder who always had Fords. His latest is a Dodge-refused to go automatic.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #177  
In some ways I wish the Tundra had a manual transmission offering. Auto is nice and after every vehicle I've ever owned having a manual, I like being able to be lazy in stop and go traffic, but since I rarely drive the truck these days into that kind of traffic and could make better use of a manual, I would have probably latched onto one if available.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #178  
I'm with Red Horse - long time GM/Chev guy, got disgusted with lack of progress w/2009 bankruptcy, looking for higher mileage with largest small block (GM refused to release 6.0L or 6.2L gas with DOD cylinder deactivation, no doubt due to bankruptcy).

So, I tried my first Dodge since 1991. Very nice, but now with their bankruptcy and "merger" (read: takeover) by Fiat, I doubt my next truck would be a Dodge (Ram, or whatever). The Fiat guy is about to learn the U.S. ain't Europe.

Now you guys are intriguing me about Toyota & Nissan. U.S. Automakers are self-inflicted, autodestructing companies.

I am also intrigued by Cummins light duty V-8 diesel in the Nissan.

P.S. - my dad always said his best vehicle was a Ford & his worst vehicle was a Ford - very little consistency.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #179  
I don't think Ford made a mistake by going all automatic. The 5 and 6 speed Torqueshifts are excellent transmissions for pulling trailers when combined with the tow/haul mode and integrated brake controller. I don't know how you could control a trailer any better with a stick shift. When you are in tow/haul mode the trans downshifts as you apply the brakes, the harder you brake the more aggressive the downshifts will be. If you want more control you can use the manual mode and select what gear you want. The auto will react faster to slow down in an emergency stop than trying to downshift a manual trans. At any rate it won't be long before the government will eliminate manual transmissions in pickups just because of emission controls.

I personally like manual transmissions but I haven't cared for them since they started drive-by-wire throttle control. Never could get used to the throttle at slow speeds, too jerky. If I want to shift gears I can drive my '59 White with its 13 speed RoadRanger transmission.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #180  
If you don't want to have to bring it to the dealer and have access to a computer running XP (any computer with a USB port will work but you'll need to bring it near the OBDII connector near the steering wheel) then you can just buy a cable on ebay for $25 that will include free Toyota Techstream software that will allow you to change the settings yourself. I bought it for my Rav4 and it's pretty easy to use. It'll also let you reset the tire pressure sensor data in the computer if you ever switch wheels. It's a lite version so you can't change anything that will do damage.

I turned off the stupid bell when your seatbelt isn't connected. Sorry but when I pick up a gallon of milk and set it on the passengers seat I don't want to be forced to do up the seat belt. I also changed the remote lock so when you push the button the first time it unlocks all the doors, not just the drivers door.