2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #251  
Good point, DP -

So I guess it's EB vs. the light diesels. Watching with great interest.

For me, I'm pretty satisfied with the HEMI. It's got enough torque for moderate towing, and good mileage empty. And 'cost thousands less' than EB. :rolleyes:

If you look at the cost premium of the Hemi over the base V6 and the cost premium of the EB over the base V6, I don't think you will see that the EB 'costs thousands less' than the EB. Somewhere around $1k is more like it. Glad you are happy with your Hemi. It would be boring if we all drove the same trucks. I'd get tired of seeing nothing but Ford's everywhere! :)

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #252  
If you look at the cost premium of the Hemi over the base V6 and the cost premium of the EB over the base V6, I don't think you will see that the EB 'costs thousands less' than the EB. Somewhere around $1k is more like it. Glad you are happy with your Hemi. It would be boring if we all drove the same trucks. I'd get tired of seeing nothing but Ford's everywhere! :)

Hah! If memory serves (always suspect), when I was shopping 2-3 years ago, EB was $1650 over HEMI presuming I did the compares right. Didn't pay for itself, plus being newer, suspect reliability & durability at the time.

For heavy / routine towing (contractor use), that is where the true debate & interest lies, & it may well be better than light diesel. I think the advent of GDI, together with EPA zero emission diesel exhaust, has change the dyanmic greatly.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #253  
Hah! If memory serves (always suspect), when I was shopping 2-3 years ago, EB was $1650 over HEMI presuming I did the compares right. Didn't pay for itself, plus being newer, suspect reliability & durability at the time.

It is tough to compare prices from one brand to another. Sometimes one comes with required features where the other doesn't, some require axle ratio changes, etc. So, yeah, it's tough. To go from the 5.0 to the 3.5 EB in the Ford is a $1250 option IIRC.

For heavy / routine towing (contractor use), that is where the true debate & interest lies, & it may well be better than light diesel. I think the advent of GDI, together with EPA zero emission diesel exhaust, has change the dyanmic greatly.

I agree. It's really hard to tell without having a true comparison. I think we will see that soon with RAM's EcoDiesel compared against Ford's EB. Prior to '07 when emissions were tightened on diesels, it was a no-brainer. But, now, with the stricter emissions, it's a tougher call. I think the manufacturers have the kinks worked out, but there is still the cost penalty. I currently drive a diesel (2008 Ford F250), but if Ford were to offer an EB V8 in the F250, it would be hard to pay the extra $5k+ for the diesel over an EB V8 due to the amount of towing I do. Now, if I towed 10k miles per year, yeah, I'd still probably go diesel. But I tow probably 1-2k / year, so I don't really need the diesel. It tows like a dream, but if I could have similar towing ability with a gasser and still get decent fuel economy, I'd be all over it. Plus, I really don't need near the 440 HP and 860 ft-lbs of torque that comes with the new 6.7L diesel from Ford. That's just insane for a 3/4 ton truck!

It's definitely exciting for truck lovers, no matter which brand you like (well, unless you like GM, of course! :)).

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #254  
Chrysler sent me an ecodiesel announcement.....with no availability date. I wish those Marketing guys would stop this pre-sale demand building hype.

Besides, my dad's rule was always to never buy the first model year of anything. So many times he's been proven right!

But still would be fun to test drive - problem is, you need a load behind you to truly get the feel for it.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #255  
Chrysler sent me an ecodiesel announcement.....with no availability date. I wish those Marketing guys would stop this pre-sale demand building hype.

They're at the dealers right now. People started taking delivery last week.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #256  
Maybe this will be helpful describing the difficulties of using a chassis dyno with turbo charged engines. Read the geek techie notes. Loads added to the engine are met with more boost but with a lag. If a constant load that doesn't have to be chased is applied, then you will be real output values. I think of it as climbing a long hill with the turbos spooled up.

2011 Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG: Dyno Tested

I totally understand the difference between a chassis dyno and an engine brake dyno, that's why I'm saying the plots from your graph are comparing data using two different techniques which is not relevant.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #257  

When we bought our EB it was $650 over the 5.0L V8. The truck is my dad's and he would not look at anything else so no comparison between brands.

By the way I drove it last Saturday. 27,XXX miles and no issues. 18.2 mpg since new all on 87 octane gas. It's a Super Crew 4x4 with the HD package and 3.73 gears.

Chris

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #258  
I totally understand the difference between a chassis dyno and an engine brake dyno, that's why I'm saying the plots from your graph are comparing data using two different techniques which is not relevant.

But I don't think they are. Otherwise the peaks wouldn't match with what the manufacturers claim as peaks, would they?

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #259  
When we bought our EB it was $650 over the 5.0L V8. The truck is my dad's and he would not look at anything else so no comparison between brands.

By the way I drove it last Saturday. 27,XXX miles and no issues. 18.2 mpg since new all on 87 octane gas. It's a Super Crew 4x4 with the HD package and 3.73 gears.

Chris

That's it? No driveability report? Come on! Did you tow with it? Does your dad tow with it? What does your dad say? :drool:

I wonder what the price delta is today? My buddy bought the V8 5.0L a couple years ago because of te cost delta & newness reliability concern. He has been very happy with his V8. He is like me, occasional moderate tower.

/ 2013 Tundra vs 2013 Ford #260  
But I don't think they are. Otherwise the peaks wouldn't match with what the manufacturers claim as peaks, would they?

You are correct, they should not. However the shape of the plots tells me they are from a chassis dyno and the peak values should be down by 20 to 25% from advertised numbers from driveline losses. Do you see where I'm going with this..