Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #701  
I made the mistake of going to the Maine Agricultural Trade Show over in Augusta yesterday.
The J.S. Woodhouse rep was there with his logging winches and grapples.

I REALLY want upgrade my old winch to a new Fransgard V-5000. $4150. I wonder if I could get a better deal if I add in a Sundown GR40 Forestry Grapple? Maybe if I bought both, they'd throw in a self-release snatch block.

A dealer actually had an LS tractor there. First time I've seen that at a show. Usually just the Big Three, plus an occasional Case, Yanmar, etc..

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #702  
Some of you guys mention selling logs on craigslist. I tried, oak and cherry, and only got
guys who wanted me to GIVE it to them. I guess having it milled might be better, but I found very little market for
logs. If you have lots of big trees, maybe you can get a logger in there.

I have recently sold some redwood logs to a guy 75 mi away, after answering his wanted ad on Craigs. Giving
away the douglas fir has been slow, tho I do charge buyers a small fee if I have to use my tractor to
load them.

In the 90's I had a logger take out 18 of these large doug firs and he shipped them to a mill way up in Ukiah.
That was 5 truckloads (tandem trailer) and he got the trees, and I got the mess. He paid me nothing,
as that was the best deal I could get. I paid a forester for a Timber Harvest Plan, and the state for a
logging permit. At the time, I believe DF was at $325/tbf and redwood was about $625/tbh, at the mill.
No mills wanted hardwoods. As I recall, the mill paid the logger about $30-35K. I even had to pay a
timber harvest tax to the state, despite getting nothing for the logs.

Bottom line is if you have valuable hardwoods, getting them milled is key. Small operators will come
to your site, but they are not cheap!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #703  
Some of you guys mention selling logs on craigslist. I tried, oak and cherry, and only got
guys who wanted me to GIVE it to them. I guess having it milled might be better, but I found very little market for
logs. If you have lots of big trees, maybe you can get a logger in there.

I have recently sold some redwood logs to a guy 75 mi away, after answering his wanted ad on Craigs. Giving
away the douglas fir has been slow, tho I do charge buyers a small fee if I have to use my tractor to
load them.

In the 90's I had a logger take out 18 of these large doug firs and he shipped them to a mill way up in Ukiah.
That was 5 truckloads (tandem trailer) and he got the trees, and I got the mess. He paid me nothing,
as that was the best deal I could get. I paid a forester for a Timber Harvest Plan, and the state for a
logging permit. At the time, I believe DF was at $325/tbf and redwood was about $625/tbh, at the mill.
No mills wanted hardwoods. As I recall, the mill paid the logger about $30-35K. I even had to pay a
timber harvest tax to the state, despite getting nothing for the logs.

Bottom line is if you have valuable hardwoods, getting them milled is key. Small operators will come
to your site, but they are not cheap!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #704  
Hey guys been following this thread for a while now and am gonna try and add some of my pics of my own to this thread

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 227
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 246
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 201
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 273
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 319
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 285
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #705  
Some pics if firewood I've been hauling out and a big hickory tha blew down this fall that wil be next weeks challange of getting out

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #706  
Doing some work on the trails last fall

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 253
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    693.5 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 217
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #707  
I have recently sold some redwood logs to a guy 75 mi away, after answering his wanted ad on Craigs. Giving away the douglas fir has been slow, tho I do charge buyers a small fee if I have to use my tractor to load them. In the 90's I had a logger take out 18 of these large doug firs and he shipped them to a mill way up in Ukiah. That was 5 truckloads (tandem trailer) and he got the trees, and I got the mess. He paid me nothing, as that was the best deal I could get. I paid a forester for a Timber Harvest Plan, and the state for a logging permit. At the time, I believe DF was at $325/tbf and redwood was about $625/tbh, at the mill. No mills wanted hardwoods. As I recall, the mill paid the logger about $30-35K. I even had to pay a timber harvest tax to the state, despite getting nothing for the logs. Bottom line is if you have valuable hardwoods, getting them milled is key. Small operators will come to your site, but they are not cheap!
Wow, I guess I got a better deal. I had a one acre property mostly cleared back in '85 and the logging guy took two loads and I got enough money to pay for the clearing/burning! This was in Redmond, WA. I was pretty happy. It was a mix of fir and cedar and nothing in size to brag about.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #708  
Some pics if firewood I've been hauling out and a big hickory tha blew down this fall that wil be next weeks challange of getting out

I was going to "welcome" you Andy, but then noticed that you joined in '012. Well, I'll cheerfully welcome you but you need to do a good bit more posting:laughing: You have some nice toy's and we need pic's!!:thumbsup:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #709  

I was going to "welcome" you Andy, but then noticed that you joined in '012. Well, I'll cheerfully welcome you but you need to do a good bit more posting:laughing: You have some nice toy's and we need pic's!!:thumbsup:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #710  
Well since Rusty welcomed you twice after he said he wasn't going to, I won't. But I do agree on more posts and pics! :)