Thoughts on 02 2500HD

/ Thoughts on 02 2500HD #1  

schmism

Tractor
New holland TC(33)
2002 Duramax 2500HD 4door 4wd.

pros and cons for this year truck? (i know nothing about them and have no brand loyalty to any flavor)

Listed at $9K private sale.

/ Thoughts on 02 2500HD #2  
Look up the duramax history on wiki so you understand the different engine issues. If I remember correctly, that year duramax has the LLY engine that had a history of fuel injector problems. Complicating the problem is that the injectors are under the covers making a whole injector job cost around $4500, so try to find out if injectors have been changed. I have a 2004 and have never had any major problems.

/ Thoughts on 02 2500HD #3  
I'm not as up on duramax's but I believe 02 - 04 is the LB7 engine and the LLY started in 05. The LB7 did have some issues but at this point if the truck is in good shape I wouldn't worry about it any more than the other things that can go wrong on a truck in that age range, the injectors can be replaced much more reasonably at a local shop instead of a dealer. Some LLY's had an overheating issue that I'm not sure if it was ever solved. The duramax's in general are very good engines.

/ Thoughts on 02 2500HD #4  
And without the modern emissions junk on them, if it is in pretty good shape overall, I would have no problem jumping on top of a good deal.

/ Thoughts on 02 2500HD #5  
2002 Duramax's did have injector problems.

/ Thoughts on 02 2500HD #6  
2002 Duramax 2500HD 4door 4wd. pros and cons for this year truck? (i know nothing about them and have no brand loyalty to any flavor) Listed at $9K private sale.
Transfer case "pump rub" is an issue that can show up between 70k and 120k. If you catch it in time it isn't too hard a job to do the upgrade ($150 in parts and 4 hrs labor).

/ Thoughts on 02 2500HD #7  
I'm not as up on duramax's but I believe 02 - 04 is the LB7 engine and the LLY started in 05. The LB7 did have some issues but at this point if the truck is in good shape I wouldn't worry about it any more than the other things that can go wrong on a truck in that age range, the injectors can be replaced much more reasonably at a local shop instead of a dealer. Some LLY's had an overheating issue that I'm not sure if it was ever solved. The duramax's in general are very good engines.

I had the 05 LLY. I had every issue under the sun.

If I were to ever think of another GM diesel it would be a LBZ.

All in all the Dmax is a great engine. The Allison Transmission is a good piece. The weak points are the GM front suspension, electrical systems, drive line (especially the transfer case and U Joints) and interior fit and finish.

Chris

/ Thoughts on 02 2500HD
per wikipedia

LB7 (engine code "1") was first introduced in 2001 and continued until mid-2004....
The LLY (internally called the 8GF1) (engine code "2") is a 6,599 cc (402.7 cu in) turbocharged engine which debuted in mid-2004 and continued until the end of 2005
The LBZ (engine code "D") debuted in late 2006 and continued into 2007 sold only in the "classic" body style.

/ Thoughts on 02 2500HD #9  
I just turned 200,000 miles in my 03. The injector pump and several injectors were replaced under warranty at about 75,000 miles. The problem showed up as not starting right away. You would have to crank it to get it started. Both of mine fire up after 1 or 2 turns of the crank. Neither burns oil and I still have the original brake pads on my 03. I had to replace a water pump at 150,000 and a front diff seal at 100,000. Price sounds about right if it's in good shape. I would go for it.

/ Thoughts on 02 2500HD #10  
Too old. The chassis is salt rotten on my 2003. Run, run away from the LB7 2001 to mid 2004 Duramax diesel. The LLY and LBZ were ok until ULS diesel was priced higher than gasoline.
It's now 2015, not 1989 to 2006. The EPA took away any advantages the light highway diesel had with emissions controls and ULSD $$$.
Now a Chev 5.3L direct injection gasser is the pickup truck engine of choice for general motors. 355HP and 383lb ft of torque on gasoline, higher on E85.