Non permanent winch fastening?

/ Non permanent winch fastening? #12  
A light winch could be mounted on a trailer coupler. Mount a ball wherever it might get used.

Bruce

/ Non permanent winch fastening?
I pretty much went with the 2 parts I pictured earlier. No proper size U bolts were available at the local hardware store, so I went with some 1/2" threaded rod. Will use some channel iron that I have laying around as the bottom leg of the U, under the frame member. Will try to get some pics in the future. Just getting ready to go out and tackle it now.

/ Non permanent winch fastening? #14  
OP mentioned possible power source of the trailer wiring system. Be sure to check wire size/capacity versus amp draw of the winch. Big power load difference between lights and a winch. I use a 12K winch but ran 300 CM wire from the battery back to the hitch area. The winch OM will indicate the minimum wire size, then add for the distance to cover voltage drop.

Ron

/ Non permanent winch fastening? #15  
OP mentioned possible power source of the trailer wiring system. Be sure to check wire size/capacity versus amp draw of the winch. Big power load difference between lights and a winch. I use a 12K winch but ran 300 CM wire from the battery back to the hitch area. The winch OM will indicate the minimum wire size, then add for the distance to cover voltage drop.

Ron

That's a very good point. You can fry the wire in the 7 pin trailer plug with the amperage draw from a winch. A good way around that is to install a separate winch battery in the trailer and a battery isolator in the trailer right next to the winch battery. You can charge the winch battery from the tow vehicle through the trailer plug, but isolate it when you want to run the winch, so it doesn't draw high current through the trailer plug wiring.

Ron

Since this will be a very limited use item, I'm thinking that I'll just throw a battery in when the winch is needed. We're generally talking only having to use it if a motorcycle becomes disabled or during the annual run to the shop in spring to get the oil changed and get them started and tuned for the season when the bikes have been sitting unstarted for months and the oil is a little heavy to roll them over.
Thanks for the replies regarding the electrical part of the equation. The trailer & bikes are being hauled about 1200 miles each way for an upcoming vacation. Sure don't need to smoke the factory trailer plug on the truck.
I attempted to show the Line Pull, Line Speed and Amp Draws in column form but when I posted the reply it just crammed everything together and I couldn't edit to make it right. So I just eliminated it.
Long story short, there can be anywhere from 10 amps on a 0 pound line pull to 132 amps drawn on a 2500 pound line pull. It's equipped with 10 gauge wiring.

Not looking like factory or a pro fabricator from the bottom, but plenty sturdy nonetheless. Looks good enough from the top side.
Easily removable if needed in the truck hitch receiver.

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

/ Non permanent winch fastening? #18  
The oldtimers ran a welding cable from the battery to the winch and used a welder lead socket for the connection... they only ran the positive conductor as the ground was the vehicle/trailer.

The new guys use the a heavy duty plug in jumper cable plug... like the tow trucks use.

/ Non permanent winch fastening? #19  

Ron

This is true. Winches pull a heck of a lot of current under load. Some used for off roading pull two or three hundred amps when loaded if they can get it. If you have a lot of line drop (small wire over a long distance) the winch can't get enough current to function properly or pull it's rated load. When it comes to wiring a winch, bigger is indeed better and the shorter the run is the better off you are too. Don't overlook welding supply for a good source of high current wire. It's nice and flexible to make the run easier too. Adding a good quality battery in close proximity to the winch can't hurt. I like AGM batteries for this sort of thing because they have less internal resistance so can deal out more current, that way the winch can pull a load much easier and faster.

/ Non permanent winch fastening? #20  
The oldtimers ran a welding cable from the battery to the winch and used a welder lead socket for the connection... they only ran the positive conductor as the ground was the vehicle/trailer.

The new guys use the a heavy duty plug in jumper cable plug... like the tow trucks use.

It's better to run both the positive and the return as the chassis ground isn't all that great for high current loads. Line drop equates to a sick winch that just can't pull worth a hoot.