Non permanent winch fastening?

/ Non permanent winch fastening? #21  
These were mostly old Willy's wagons and surplus military jeeps.

The guys in the club had one winch between them and it was made to fit on a trailer ball mount... front and rear with a corresponding single positive lead with a arc welder lead and connector... as the winch started to pull it really beared down on the ball mount... simple but effective...

Shade Tree but guys were on a budget back them...

Still remember being about 35 miles out on a gravel/dirt road in Nevada... me and a friend... each with our chevrolet pickups... he left something on and the battery was too weak to start... we were 17 at the time... he wanted me to start my truck and pull the battery out with my motor running so he could use it to start his... I was not going for it unless he insisted and then he was going to start his and then put the battery back into my truck.

Then I got an idea... I drove up to his bumper and pressed against it with my bumper and then took an old t-post that was laying on the ground and touched the positive side of my battery with his and it worked!

Got both trucks started and headed for Minden... by the time we got there his battery had recovered enough.

/ Non permanent winch fastening? #22  
The oldtimers ran a welding cable from the battery to the winch and used a welder lead socket for the connection... they only ran the positive conductor as the ground was the vehicle/trailer.

The new guys use the a heavy duty plug in jumper cable plug... like the tow trucks use.

I am using #2 welding cable with a "Driver" quick connect plug running from my vehicle battery back to the winch. The winch is permanently mounted on my equipment (toys) trailer.
I am using a 12,000# Superwinch, with a snatch block. The snatch block cuts the pull in half, and thus keeps the winch amperage draw lower.
Have not needed the winch yet, but it is ready for when I do!

/ Non permanent winch fastening? #23  
Hard to do things like that now with all the plastic in the bumpers....

/ Non permanent winch fastening? #24  
I am using a 12,000# Superwinch, with a snatch block. The snatch block cuts the pull in half, and thus keeps the winch amperage draw lower.
BUT, it "halves" the line in speed too, so the pull takes twice as long...

Sometimes it just isn't worth it...

SR

/ Non permanent winch fastening? #25  
Hard to do things like that now with all the plastic in the bumpers....

Hitch ball goes thru that plastic bumper and finds the steel to steel connection real easy.

Proven by the girl that rear ended me last year. "Flip-flop slide off brake peddle, sorry" :D

/ Non permanent winch fastening? #26  
Cars are different... my old Model A with 40 hp and a manual 3 spd has pulled out a few modern irons...

All the winching I have done has been by hand... with lots of chain!

It does seem like adapting to a 2" receiver platform is the ticket to versatility.

/ Non permanent winch fastening? #27  
BUT, it "halves" the line in speed too, so the pull takes twice as long...

Sometimes it just isn't worth it...

SR

At 75 years old, I am not much concerned with speed.
As long as the pull gets done before I croak, I am just fine with 1/2 speed.